Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In over my head (mostly)...... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330004)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 01-07-2023 06:45 AM

In over my head (mostly)......

17 Attachment(s)
I picked up the following lot in an online estate sale during the height of the "lockdown". It was labeled as baseball ephemera and only contained a few pictures, one of which was the ticket that I included. For the most part though, I really couldn't tell for sure what I was bidding on. Admittingly, I have been lazy and just now getting around to asking you all for help.

So, that brings me to the point of my post, what did I win?......(genuinely asking). Think the final price was somewhere between $25 - $35.

What are these pictures referred to as? (or do they even have specific jargon?)

Thoughts on the postcards? Are any of these items worth the cost of "slabbing" or does PSA even slab this sort of thing any longer? (I thought maybe the ticket? its in really nice shape...)

Any/all other thoughts welcome, thanks in advance for any guidance!

If there is a reference link to more info that I may have missed some where already posted on this site, I apologize, likewise if I have posted this in the wrong area (rookie mistakes).

*more pics to follow*

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 01-07-2023 06:47 AM

6 Attachment(s)
*Postcards and ticket/certificate

bgar3 01-07-2023 07:23 AM

Certainly worth more than you paid.
The photos are vintage, describe what they show, nice . The head protection is very interesting.
I am not sure why you would want to pay to get any of these slabbed, but if it makes you happy, by all means do it.
Collectors on here collect WW2 baseball, and someone should be interested in the vintage photos .

rjackson44 01-07-2023 07:34 AM

Pretty stole them price wise nice

bobbyw8469 01-07-2023 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2301903)
Pretty stole them

:eek:

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 01-07-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2301904)

I keep all receipts :cool:

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 01-07-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 2301901)
The photos are vintage, describe what they show, nice . The head protection is very interesting.
I am not sure why you would want to pay to get any of these slabbed, but if it makes you happy, by all means do it.
Collectors on here collect WW2 baseball, and someone should be interested in the vintage photos .

Really just the ticket, which is why I even bid on the items to begin with.

mrreality68 01-07-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 2301901)

agreed worth the price looks vintage interesting content

not sure the history etc

But Greatstuff

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-07-2023 08:28 AM

If the idea appeals to you, those photos could be matted with autographs of the players underneath for an attractive display. Page, Etten and Newsome can be had on the cheap. Haas is also affordable. Due to Ed Coleman's death at a fairly young age 60 years ago, he would run a bit more, but certainly not a fortune.

rjackson44 01-07-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2301904)

Stole them price wise lol

Snapolit1 01-07-2023 09:05 AM

The photos are really cool but don't appear valuable. Probably not worth the cost of slabbing them. Buy an album and store them.

Mule Haas had 15 minutes worth of fame in 2015 when Alcides Escobar hit an inside the park home run against the Mets in the WS. Haas hit the last one prior to that in 1929. They put Haas' name and picture on the screen on the broadcast and everyone chuckled over his name, which obviously none of the announcer had ever heard before. At the time I looked him up and was amazed to find that he's buried in a cemetery about 3/4 mile from my home.

steve B 01-09-2023 09:29 AM

I'm not seeing much worth slabbing, maybe the ticket? But I'd want to keep it with the certificate, and the slab would make that a little bit harder.

Of course, if you have my sense of the odd.... The kids holding a pennant with SGC on it really should go in an SGC holder....(Yes, a waste of money but at the right price...)

Leon 01-11-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2301935)
The photos are really cool but don't appear valuable. Probably not worth the cost of slabbing them. Buy an album and store them.

Mule Haas had 15 minutes worth of fame in 2015 when Alcides Escobar hit an inside the park home run against the Mets in the WS. Haas hit the last one prior to that in 1929. They put Haas' name and picture on the screen on the broadcast and everyone chuckled over his name, which obviously none of the announcer had ever heard before. At the time I looked him up and was amazed to find that he's buried in a cemetery about 3/4 mile from my home.

There's some trivia.

As for the lot, agree with the others, probably wouldn't worry about slabbing too much. I would do some searches on the ticket but not sure how valuable it is and what grading would add to it. Neat items and great pick up.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 01-16-2023 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! Especially enjoyed the trivia about Mr. Mule.

My lovely internet service provider has been somewhat problematic over the last week+ so it took a little while for me to reply...

philliesfan 01-16-2023 09:15 PM

I really like the lot. Great photos.
Back in the mid 1980's I also purchased 2 of those Phillies tickets but I do not have that certificate. They are in the same mint condition as yours. However, I am not sure if they are original or not.
Great buy.
Bob