Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Babe is back! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328303)

Rad_Hazard 11-30-2022 02:29 PM

Babe is back!

2 Attachment(s)
I decided against selling my PSA 2 Goudey Ruth 144, and to get it re-holdered by PSA since it was in an older case (I had one person question whether it would grade a 2 by current PSA standards). PSA did re-evaluate it per their policy and it was still a 2 grade. I was sweating the shipments, but thanks to FedEx it went there and back again like Bilbo and has a spiffy new case.

The turnaround time from door to door was 23 days.

Happy to have it back!

BobbyStrawberry 11-30-2022 02:35 PM

Awesome Babe! More "iconic" than the yellow one IMO...

Fred 11-30-2022 02:48 PM

I bet that was a nerve racking 23 days.

jingram058 11-30-2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2288782)

Absolutely agree!

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-30-2022 02:54 PM

Did you pay for a reholder, or a regrade? Is it the same cert number as previously? I'm guessing it is.

Rad_Hazard 11-30-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2288788)
I bet that was a nerve racking 23 days.

100% YES IT WAS! I did do FedEx though and they were solid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2288794)
Did you pay for a reholder, or a regrade? Is it the same cert number as previously? I'm guessing it is.

Yes. It was $50 to re-holder the Babe since it is more than 5k, but less than 20k. They go by declared value. Yes, it is the same cert number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2288782)

I completely agree. I don't really care for the look of the other Goudey Ruth cards, 144 is king in my book!

mrreality68 11-30-2022 03:19 PM

Congrats Looking Good

Understanding the waiting and the worrying on the shipping side

Love all the Goudey's Ruth

Jcosta19 11-30-2022 03:29 PM

Glad it made it back safely and its a beauty.

But I'm fairly certain that with reholder they don't even look at the card other than to assure its a genuine slab and card before reslabbing with original grade and cert number. They don't down or upgrade with reholder, that would be review service.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Rad_Hazard 11-30-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2288808)
Glad it made it back safely and its a beauty.

But I'm fairly certain that with reholder they don't even look at the card other than to assure its a genuine slab and card before reslabbing with original grade and cert number. They don't down or upgrade with reholder, that would be review service.

I think you are right. I may have misinterpreted the email, I think with the Ruth they just said they were reviewing the case.

I did send my T206 Cy Young in for a re-holder as well and it's still stuck at PSA due to a hold and review since the right corner of the case had a ding (which was why I was getting the re-holder).

"It has come to our attention your PSA encased card, 1909-11 T206 Old Mill Cy Young Clev., Glove Shows was received with a crack on the holder.
Upon re-holdering the card, we will review the card to confirm it meets the current grade 1.5 and it has not been damaged."

Jcosta19 11-30-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2288810)
I think you are right. I may have misinterpreted the email, I think with the Ruth they just said they were reviewing the case.

I did send my T206 Cy Young in for a re-holder as well and it's still stuck at PSA due to a hold and review since the right corner of the case had a ding (which was why I was getting the re-holder).

"It has come to our attention your PSA encased card, 1909-11 T206 Old Mill Cy Young Clev., Glove Shows was received with a crack on the holder.
Upon re-holdering the card, we will review the card to confirm it meets the current grade 1.5 and it has not been damaged."

Gotcha. Interesting to see what they would do if they thought it didn't meet the standards?

Will they return it, slab it with a different grade or give you the option?
Please keep us updated on that one.

Oh and if you decide to sell the Young OM send me a PM when it returns.

Good luck and congrats again. I had a similar card I wanted reholdered but waited 2 years to bring it to National to avoid the mail.

Touch'EmAll 11-30-2022 03:57 PM

Thanks for sharing. Hobby fun. Nice centering by the way.

Snowman 12-01-2022 03:33 AM

Awesome card, and great to have it arrive back safely!

As far as grading standards go and PSA recertifying the grade, that's not how it works. They just give you the same grade and cert number as before. They do not regrade per today's standards. All cards with cert numbers beginning with a '0xxx' were graded in the early days at PSA when their standards were much much looser. Grades are often two full grades higher than they would hand out today. Your Ruth, while still a great card that you should be proud to own, would have zero chance at a 2 today. It probably wouldn't even get a 1.5. They've just moved the goalposts on us that much. But fortunately for you, it's still in a 2 holder, which makes it worth more on the market than it would if it were regraded today.

NYYFan63 12-01-2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2288949)

As far as grading standards go and PSA recertifying the grade, that's not how it works. They just give you the same grade and cert number as before. They do not regrade per today's standards. All cards with cert numbers beginning with a '0xxx' were graded in the early days at PSA when their standards were much much looser. Grades are often two full grades higher than they would hand out today. Your Ruth, while still a great card that you should be proud to own, would have zero chance at a 2 today. It probably wouldn't even get a 1.5. They've just moved the goalposts on us that much. But fortunately for you, it's still in a 2 holder, which makes it worth more on the market than it would if it were regraded today.

I thought I heard they will re-grade if it does not meet their current grading standards? Maybe I heard wrong…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rad_Hazard 12-01-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2288949)

I've seen some pretty bad grades from modern PSA and this isn't even that bad of a 2. I wouldn't be shocked if it regraded at a 2, I've seen some horribly off-centered 10's that have no business being a 10. The business of cracking early 9's and getting modern 10's is still alive and well at PSA. My card aside I don't think that the goalpost for grading standards at PSA have moved an inch, it might have even gone backwards a touch. I tend to use SGC though for most of my personal collection though.

JustinD 12-05-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYYFan63 (Post 2288993)
I thought I heard they will re-grade if it does not meet their current grading standards? Maybe I heard wrong…

That would involve a settlement payout for the downgrade as I understand, so there's no way they do that unless it was a bad press causing alteration called out by a blowout thread or something.

This is why they make money on flip changing. The cert number is more important than the hologram. But newbies focus only on the case.

BabyRuth 12-05-2022 08:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bet if I re-submit mine, it'll get a "1"!!!!!!