Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Robinson Cano can win a World Series Ring with 3 different teams (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325995)

mrreality68 10-08-2022 03:05 PM

Robinson Cano can win a World Series Ring with 3 different teams

Wow

Robinson Cano played for and got cut by 3 teams.

He sits home and gets paid over 20 million dollars to help his team win again by not playing and if

The Braves, Mets, or Padres win it all he gets a ring.

I did not realize that

https://l.smartnews.com/1hJKz/RkEmlm

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 05:34 PM

For a man who ranks 7th all time among second basemen according to JAWS, he managed to take himself into deserved and permanent oblivion.

G1911 10-08-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271548)
For a man who ranks 7th all time among second basemen according to JAWS, he managed to take himself into deserved and permanent oblivion.

I don’t remember a player self destructing so bad as Cano. Even Bonds and Clemens have the “still the best and you know it, haters” element. Cano just… complete suicide.

I’m sure someone else has done it or worse, but he’s the one who always comes to mind here.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2271563)
I don’t remember a player self destructing so bad as Cano. Even Bonds and Clemens have the “still the best and you know it, haters” element. Cano just… complete suicide.

I’m sure someone else has done it or worse, but he’s the one who always comes to mind here.

A fitting farewell tour lol, hitting .150 or whatever, and disappearing in July with probably not one line in the press. From first-ballot HOF to nowhere.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 06:27 PM

I mean maybe the first suspension was not the death knell, as I recall he tested positive for a diuretic which I suppose could have been a medical thing and he just fucked up documenting it, although I don't remember the details now.

The second one, no plausible mitigating circumstances.

mrreality68 10-08-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271572)
I mean maybe the first suspension was not the death knell, as I recall he tested positive for a diuretic which I suppose could have been a medical thing and he just fucked up documenting it, although I don't remember the details now.

And sadly 3 chances to be a World Champion

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2271574)
And sadly 3 chances to be a World Champion

Hard to believe even Cano would accept a ring under such circumstances.

G1911 10-08-2022 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271572)

Cano was on a HOF path, but also seemed to be getting setup to be a long-term face of the Post-Jeter Yankees before he left. Boy did he screw that up. Other users have gotten more hate, but none of them have quite gotten the same cold shoulder and just being ignored like Cano has. He went from good press to no press pretty quick. A-Rod, Manny both got busted twice too as I recall, but neither just kind of disappeared even while they were still there.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2271630)
Cano was on a HOF path, but also seemed to be getting setup to be a long-term face of the Post-Jeter Yankees before he left. Boy did he screw that up. Other users have gotten more hate, but none of them have quite gotten the same cold shoulder and just being ignored like Cano has. He went from good press to no press pretty quick. A-Rod, Manny both got busted twice too as I recall, but neither just kind of disappeared even while they were still there.

Palmeiro similarly became persona non grata pretty quickly.

G1911 10-08-2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271635)
Palmeiro similarly became persona non grata pretty quickly.

A lot of guys become persona non grata. Hell, Bonds was straight up blackballed out of baseball. I remember he even offered to play for the minimum and no one bit, after he posted a .480 on base to lead the league yet again in his final season.

What saves these guys is that they hit the huge milestones, and while they became unwelcome they couldn't be ignored. Palmeiro got over 500/3,000 and his name still comes up plenty, in a negative way, but there. Cano didn't really become persona non grata, he just became almost not even there at all, a footnote instead of a villain.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2271636)
A lot of guys become persona non grata. Hell, Bonds was straight up blackballed out of baseball. I remember he even offered to play for the minimum and no one bit, after he posted a .480 on base to lead the league yet again in his final season.

What saves these guys is that they hit the huge milestones, and while they became unwelcome they couldn't be ignored. Palmeiro got over 500/3,000 and his name still comes up plenty, in a negative way, but there. Cano didn't really become persona non grata, he just became almost not even there at all, a footnote instead of a villain.

Not persona non grata, just persona non lol.

KCRfan1 10-09-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271581)
Hard to believe even Cano would accept a ring under such circumstances.

I don't know Peter. Given Cano's behavior, I tend to believe he would happily accept a ring.

Good riddance.

mrreality68 10-09-2022 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 2271841)
I don't know Peter. Given Cano's behavior, I tend to believe he would happily accept a ring.

Good riddance.

He will take it guaranteed as would most players and he will take the share of the money that goes with it

Casey2296 10-09-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 2271841)

Good riddance.

And look for the ring in the Heritage 2023 Spring catalog auction.

earlywynnfan 10-10-2022 09:05 AM

Just to set the record straight, I can pinpoint exactly when his demise started. After watching him for years, I finally said "This guy might end up being a HOFer." So I bought a GU bat of his. One week later, suspension and fast track to oblivion.

If anyone wants me to help pick stocks for them, I'm available cheap.

mrreality68 10-11-2022 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2271932)
And look for the ring in the Heritage 2023 Spring catalog auction.

+1 Agreed

RUKen 10-13-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2271491)
Robinson Cano played for and got cut by 3 teams. He sits home and gets paid over 20 million dollars to help his team win again by not playing and if the Braves, Mets, or Padres win it all he gets a ring.

To the best of my knowledge, a Word Series ring is not guaranteed to every player who appeared in a regular-season game with the eventual WS winner. I believe it is up to the team management to decide who gets a ring.

Similarly, I believe that the players on the WS roster determine who gets full shares and who gets partial shares of the WS money. It seems unlikely that Cano would get even a partial share (but yes, he does get his full, guaranteed salary for the season).

mrreality68 10-13-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUKen (Post 2272995)
To the best of my knowledge, a Word Series ring is not guaranteed to every player who appeared in a regular-season game with the eventual WS winner. I believe it is up to the team management to decide who gets a ring.

Similarly, I believe that the players on the WS roster determine who gets full shares and who gets partial shares of the WS money. It seems unlikely that Cano would get even a partial share (but yes, he does get his full, guaranteed salary for the season).

You could be right I was only going by the argument

Also my understanding (which can be wrong) is that the full share/partial share has only who gets a percentage of the money and not who gets the ring.

RUKen 10-13-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2272997)
You could be right I was only going by the argument

Also my understanding (which can be wrong) is that the full share/partial share has only who gets a percentage of the money and not who gets the ring.

Correct--the team owner (or their designate) decides who gets a WS ring, and the players decide who gets shares of the WS money.

mrreality68 10-13-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUKen (Post 2273000)
Correct--the team owner (or their designate) decides who gets a WS ring, and the players decide who gets shares of the WS money.

thanks for the clarification

jayshum 10-16-2022 07:41 AM

Looks like he's down to just the Padres, and I'm hoping my Phillies can knock them out in the NLCS.

jayshum 10-24-2022 07:02 AM

No ring for Cano. Let's go Phillies!!!

mrreality68 10-24-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2276815)
No ring for Cano. Let's go Phillies!!!

That is something to cheer about

Let's Go Offseason