Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Out of the Park (OOTP) Baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322707)

BobbyStrawberry 07-27-2022 10:21 AM

Out of the Park (OOTP) Baseball

I've had it for years, but only recently started to understand better how it works. I'm having some fun with historical and imaginary sim leagues.

Anyone here a user of Out of the Park (OOTP) Baseball, or something similar?

Rad_Hazard 07-27-2022 10:54 AM

I've used WhatIf sports in the past to participate in leagues. The default was 80m salary for the whole team and they were based on performance of each season. It was pretty in depth. They key to doing well was drafting a 19th century 3 pitcher work horse rotation, the rest was pretty easy.

Mike D. 07-27-2022 01:05 PM

For 43 seasons, across the better part of 20 years, I was part of the Ted Williams Memorial Leaugue (TWML) that ran first on OOTP 2 and later OOTP 6. We had a few of us who were in the league that entire time.

We saw somewhere north of a dozen babies born to owners over that time, and several generations of "fictional" players come and go.

It was a lot of fun when we were younger and active, but eventually kind of died out.

frankbmd 08-06-2022 10:54 AM

Every baseball sim thread deserves mention of the Universal Baseball Association, J Henry Waugh, Prop. published in 1968 by Robert Coover.

An unusual, but critically acclaimed, fictional tale of a long standing Table Top baseball league created by J Henry, the proprietor.

It has been reprinted more recently and you can find it if interested. I recommend it.

BobbyStrawberry 08-06-2022 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2249629)
Every baseball sim thread deserves mention of the Universal Baseball Association, J Henry Waugh, Prop. published in 1968 by Robert Coover.

An unusual, but critically acclaimed, fictional tale of a long standing Table Top baseball league created by J Henry, the proprietor.

It has been reprinted more recently and you can find it if interested. I recommend it.

Thanks, Frank! I'm going to read this.

You ever do sim leagues? I have this idea of a Net54 sim league if there is enough interest...

Butch7999 08-06-2022 11:22 AM

Indeed, Frank, we too can't recommend it strongly enough. "UBA" is a brilliant thing, although we'd caution anyone who expects
a book "about" a tabletop baseball game to be trivial and boring that it's only "about" a tabletop baseball game as much as, say,
the movie Diner is only about a diner. It's a metaphorical, sometimes almost phantasmagorical, look into almost everything,
an amazingly brisk read in paradoxically concise yet beautiful prose.
We'll add that Coover is a wonderfully cool fellow in person and his many other books are great reads as well.

In a shameful bit of self-promotion while we're here, we'll also invite anyone on board who's into tabletop baseball games,
current, recent, or antique, to visit our website and forum, linked in our sig below...