Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Damon Rutherford (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=314332)

frankbmd 01-28-2022 10:53 PM

Damon Rutherford

Any fans out there?

The young perfect game pitcher whose career was shortened by a beanball that killed him in his next outing. Sorry, he doesn't have a card that I know of.

Lucas00 01-28-2022 11:08 PM

Damon Rutherford

I would hope he doesn’t! As he’s a fictional character..

Cliff Bowman 01-29-2022 08:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2191087)
Sorry, he doesn't have a card that I know of.

Au contraire, mon frere, there was a contest to create the best Damon Rutherford baseball card.

molenick 01-29-2022 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No cards from me, but here's the book.

commishbob 01-29-2022 09:30 AM

An unusual and very entertaining novel. One of the few books that I've repurchased. I gave away my original copy and a few years later I had the urge to read it again so I nabbed a copy via Amazon.

Butch7999 01-29-2022 11:42 AM

Best American novel of the 20th Century, alongside Heller's Catch-22.

pclpads 01-29-2022 12:04 PM

Sidd Finch lives!

molenick 01-29-2022 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, he does.

frankbmd 01-29-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2191188)
Au contraire, mon frere, there was a contest to create the best Damon Rutherford baseball card.

Cliff, i was unaware of the cards or the contest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2191191)
No cards from me, but here's the book.

That cover is not the same as both of mine which are both different

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 2191218)
An unusual and very entertaining novel. One of the few books that I've repurchased. I gave away my original copy and a few years later I had the urge to read it again so I nabbed a copy via Amazon.

Bob, I too have read the book two or three times and have also repurchased it at least once. I also lent my first copy to an acquaintance and it was never returned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 2191274)
Best American novel of the 20th Century, alongside Heller's Catch-22.

Butch, that may be a stretch. It is worth rereading though. It touches so many levels other than baseball, you are bound to get more out of it the second time around. As a life long sim table gamer though, I do understand your bias.

I'm not sure I have mentioned it in one of our periodic baseball book threads, but I thought it needed a thread of its own.

If you Google Damon Rutherford, a number of real Damon Rutherfords exist, so he is not only fictional. The last chapter, long after Mr. Waugh's passing, is about the fictional characters still playing ball 100 years later.

Thanks for all the comments so far. If you have never heard of it, you should look for it, although not readily available (the only reprint, i believe, was published in 1971).

molenick 01-29-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2191535)
That cover is not the same as both of mine which are both different

I imagine the book was issued with different covers over the years...mine is from the 1968 hardcover edition.

Butch7999 01-30-2022 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2191535)
Butch, that may be a stretch. It is worth rereading though. It touches so many levels other than baseball,
you are bound to get more out of it the second time around. As a life long sim table gamer though, I do understand your bias.

Dr Frank, our edition (trade paper) looks different, too, and we had it auto'd in person by Prof Coover.
Heckuva nice guy, as friendly and humble in our brief interaction with him as he is insightful and erudite.
We wish we'd been able to take some of his classes.
"YMMV," but we don't think our regard for it is much of a stretch. Yeah, tabletop baseball is the launching pad
for the plot, but as you suggest, what it's "about" is so, so much more than that -- baseball itself and baseball
history, but far beyond that, isolation versus connection, fantasy versus reality, obedience versus free will,
labour versus management, order versus chaos, creator versus creation, life versus afterlife, man versus god,
sanity versus insanity... and more... all delivered in such clean, concise, yet beautiful, perfectly paced prose.

benge610 01-30-2022 01:31 PM

Thank you Frank and all.
I have not had the pleasure; just ordered the book.
Ever since "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy" by Kinsella; I have been longing for these special types of work.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."