Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Colgan Mint Chip empty tins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313710)

Belfast1933 01-16-2022 01:35 PM

Colgan Mint Chip empty tins?

1 Attachment(s)
Would love to hear more about the Colgan Mint Chips tin and cards… I’ve seen the cards on their own but have found them to be a little dull - no color, kind of small

But I just saw this image of the card WITH and INSIDE the original Tin (see below, not my card) and am thinking this might be a cool new and different addition to my HOF collection

Can anyone shed any light on this set AND the tins? Are the empty tins expensive and/or hard to find? And I assume I could buy them seperate and apart but and card from that set will fit any empty tin?

That true?

Thx for any info!

Jeff

swarmee 01-16-2022 01:47 PM

Tins are not that expensive. I remember buying one for like $30.

RCMcKenzie 01-16-2022 02:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have these somewhere in a drawer. They came as a throw-in with a small lot that I bought. I have about 50 of the cards from buying lots of a dozen or so. I thought of going for the set, and changed my mind due to the set's giant size. I think the cards are kind of neat, especially the Hofer's.

BobC 01-16-2022 03:55 PM

As others have said, not that expensive or rare at all. I've got about 8 or so tins myself, with them being of the two designs shown by what RCMcKenzie posted images of. The Mint Chips tins are a dark, forest green type of color, while the Violet Chips tins are a very light reddish-purple, violet type color, as shown in the posted images. I have seen some Violet Chips tins that appear to be a little darker, reddish tone as well. Not sure if there may be other color variations or not, or if these differences could also be due to time, aging, sunlight, fading, etc. The tins do add a little something if you go to display the cards/chips with them.

Fred 01-16-2022 04:18 PM

About 30 years ago (probably more) I found one at an antique store and it had a piece of gum and a card in it.

Belfast1933 01-16-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2186232)
As others have said, not that expensive or rare at all. I've got about 8 or so tins myself, with them being of the two designs shown by what RCMcKenzie posted images of. The Mint Chips tins are a dark, forest green type of color, while the Violet Chips tins are a very light reddish-purple, violet type color, as shown in the posted images. I have seen some Violet Chips tins that appear to be a little darker, reddish tone as well. Not sure if there may be other color variations or not, or if these differences could also be due to time, aging, sunlight, fading, etc. The tins do add a little something if you go to display the cards/chips with them.

Great background, thx…. Is there a way to know which tin a card may have come in?

Belfast1933 01-16-2022 04:42 PM

Hallelujah! Finally something for my collection/display that won’t break the bank.

If anyone would like to sell a nice looking tin, please feel free to message me - I think the tin and the card together would look pretty cool (maybe even 2 cards, one in each of the 2 tins)

Thx

Jeff

Fred 01-16-2022 05:10 PM

Jeff, do a search on ebay - there have been several recent sales of the tins. After I did a search, I found that there have been modern versions of the Colgan's Chip cards released - totally surprised me. Nope, no interest in them for me. I like the real deal.

Vintagedeputy 01-16-2022 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the tins are cool. I have just started getting into the Colgan's proof side of things myself. I recently purchased this small group that hadn't seen the light of day in many, many years.

BobC 01-16-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2186248)
Great background, thx…. Is there a way to know which tin a card may have come in?

To my knowledge, absolutely no way to tell if only certain cards were distributed in one or the other versions of the tins (Violet or Mint Chips tins). Both tin versions are the exact same size and dimensions, so I would suspect the only thing that varied between the two tin versions was the flavor of the accompanying gum. The actual Colgan's Chip cards would have likely been randomly inserted in either gum flavor tin. My understanding was they came one card per tin.

As someone else mentioned, tins with gum chips still inside have been found and do exist. I guess that could add to a display, but I sure wouldn't try chewing a piece. Being that old and dried out, I'd speculate the gum chips would be hardened and possibly brittle, more like a Necco wafer, if you know what I'm talking about. Have fun, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a decent tin or two for your collection.

Belfast1933 01-16-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2186255)
Jeff, do a search on ebay - there have been several recent sales of the tins. After I did a search, I found that there have been modern versions of the Colgan's Chip cards released - totally surprised me. Nope, no interest in them for me. I like the real deal.

Thanks, trying to find tins available for sale but I can’t seem to locate any on EBay. Will keep looking - also saw some images of Colgan tin box displays which look really cool too

Thx again for all of the info.

Vintagecatcher 01-16-2022 07:37 PM

Colgan's Chips

In my opinion the Colgan's Chips had an awesome ad campaign!

Here's a previous thread I started.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=Colgan+Chips

Patrick

Fred 01-16-2022 08:37 PM

Jeff, check the completed sales on ebay to see recent prices and get an idea of the going ebay rate. Just continue the search and the tins will show up.

Belfast1933 01-17-2022 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2186308)
Jeff, check the completed sales on ebay to see recent prices and get an idea of the going ebay rate. Just continue the search and the tins will show up.

Yep, finally found my way there… I just saved my search so I should get an alert the next time they post for sale

Thx again.

Belfast1933 01-17-2022 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher (Post 2186298)
In my opinion the Colgan's Chips had an awesome ad campaign!

Here's a previous thread I started.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=Colgan+Chips

Patrick

Wow, great work on this Patrick… thx for the referral to your earlier post.

I’m excited to add something a little colorful and different to my HOF display… now, I just need to find a raw Addie Joss to go with the tins!

Leon 01-17-2022 07:29 AM

I got this tin and card(s) on ebay years ago...

https://luckeycards.com/pe270redsteinfeldt.jpg

fkm_bky 01-17-2022 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my Tin...it's just a nice show piece and can be had for a very reasonable price. I think I paid maybe $35 for this back in the early 2010's.

Edited to add: Notice the color variation b/t mine and Leon's. Mine definitely isn't as 'violet' as his.

Bill

Touch'EmAll 01-17-2022 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No tin, but here is a favorite ...

Fred 01-17-2022 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked for my tin and found it. I'll try and post pictures when I can. The tin had a small round paper liner at the bottom, two pieces of gum and the card. It's a green tin. If I recall I picked it up in North Pole Alaska back in the 80s. It's been a while but I think I was working in Fairbanks for a couple weeks and found an antique shop in North Pole, Alaska.

Attachment 498235

Edited to add picture

Belfast1933 01-17-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2186480)
I looked for my tin and found it. I'll try and post pictures when I can. The tin had a small round paper liner at the bottom, two pieces of gum and the card. It's a green tin. If I recall I picked it up in North Pole Alaska back in the 80s. It's been a while but I think I was working in Fairbanks for a couple weeks and found an antique shop in North Pole, Alaska.

Would love to see it - am looking forward to adding at least on each (Mint and Violet) to my display alongside two HOfers... I'll add my own photos back here when I finally land this!

Jeff