Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   PSA and auto authenticity (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=310448)

Natedog 11-13-2021 07:32 PM

PSA and auto authenticity

Hi all - back when PSA had quarterly specials, I sent in a few cards that I got autographed in Spring Training back in the late 80's/early 90's. Three HOF's: Maddux, Chipper, and Puckett. All really nice, bold autos. I didn't think twice about sending them in - after all, I got them myself so I knew they were good. Well, PSA apparently didn't think so, and they returned all 3 with questionable authenticity. I didn't bother complaining, as I knew it would be my word against theirs. Has anyone else had an experience like this, and what did you do?

Thanks!

sreader3 11-13-2021 08:55 PM

Try JSA or Beckett. PSA is uber-conservative about grading certain autos. I will give Willie Stargell as an example. At the end of the day, it’s just an opinion.

theshleps 11-13-2021 11:17 PM

That happened to me with Trouts I got in person along with Jeters and Kershaws. Fortunately I had a special deal with them (not anymore) where I wasn't charged for rejects. I sent them in a 2nd time and they passed. The big guys like Corcoran and Keating don't that often look at the recent guys as far as I know (could be wrong). Not sure how good the other folks are. Even though JSA doesn't slab if you want something authenticated I like them as to speed. Beckett IMO slabs too many that aren't good so JSA is a happy medium

chaddurbin 11-13-2021 11:47 PM

Post pics. Psa should not be missing late 80s sigs of maddux chipper and Puckett. They had pretty consistent sigs.

Natedog 11-14-2021 03:42 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will post pics of the cards later today.

roarfrom34 11-14-2021 07:48 AM

they usually are pretty good however a couple years ago I subbed two Goose Gossage signed cards that I personally obtained within 5 seconds of one another at a golf tournament (that looked identical).

one got slabbed as authentic and the other was returned as questionable (like who fakes a Gossage signature?). Anyways I subbed the other one again a year later and it came back as authentic

Natedog 11-14-2021 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics - the blue sharpie appears much more bold in person. It looks a bit washed out in the scans.

perezfan 11-15-2021 11:46 AM

They probably frown upon the super-thick sharpie, and it likely clouded their judgement of these three.

egri 11-15-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarfrom34 (Post 2163999)
they usually are pretty good however a couple years ago I subbed two Goose Gossage signed cards that I personally obtained within 5 seconds of one another at a golf tournament (that looked identical).

one got slabbed as authentic and the other was returned as questionable (like who fakes a Gossage signature?). Anyways I subbed the other one again a year later and it came back as authentic

I've seen fake Bobby Doerr signatures posted here before, so I'm sure there's a few fake Gossages floating around out there.

chaddurbin 11-15-2021 11:55 AM

i'm not an expert on puckett but his looping tends to be more ovally from what i've seen, this is almost circular and the sig looks really compacted. i can see why they were hesitant on the maddux. the chipper would probably pass by itself but once they had their doubt on the other 2 they probably just "?" the chipper also.

theshleps 11-15-2021 01:03 PM

I agree on the Maddux and Puckett. I do not question your provinance but I can see their hesitation

BillyCoxDodgers3B 11-15-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 2164420)
i'm not an expert on puckett but his looping tends to be more ovally from what i've seen, this is almost circular and the sig looks really compacted. i can see why they were hesitant on the maddux. the chipper would probably pass by itself but once they had their doubt on the other 2 they probably just "?" the chipper also.

Couldn't have been explained better.

For the record, I wouldn't touch the Puckett or Maddux, so can't blame them.

Natedog 11-15-2021 03:10 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm not not much of an auto guy by any means, so I didn't think of looking to see what their auto is supposed to look like, haha. Like most players who autograph in Spring Training, they were probably in a hurry to get somewhere, and the auto looks a bit different than it would if they were sitting at a table at a card show or something. Anyway, thanks again for your input, and I probably won't try to submit again if they don't look how they're supposed to. I know they're authentic, but since I have no proof, I guess I'm out of luck.