Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Busy: Wilmington, MA GBSCC Show; 11/5-11/7 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=310085)

warrior1978 11-06-2021 04:40 AM

Busy: Wilmington, MA GBSCC Show; 11/5-11/7

Very good mix of vintage and modern. I expected high prices with the current market, but some pricing was just obscene.

Very long line to get in at the noon Friday opening but it moved quickly. General consensus was how unexpected busy it was and much busier than in recent memory. I would imagine Saturday will be very busy.

One of the newer grading company was taking submissions. Beckett was there as well with grading starting at $100 or $125 I think. Good representation by the major auction houses.

I picked up a few T206s and some junk era stuff.

vthobby 11-06-2021 02:39 PM

Super busy....

I was amazed. Large crowds, good selection. I bought a Reggie Jackson Signed Rookie and a Cheevers Signed Rookie for a really surprisingly low price. Both were slabbed for $500 total.

I was pretty happy with that!

Mike

talkinbaseball 11-07-2021 03:13 AM

Shriner's

Our crew was there Saturday, it was very crowded in the morning. It's always a pleasure to hang out with Dave & Meri from Bagger's and we get to touch base with Bob Thing who I've been friends with for over 40 years. I had a nice conversation with Kyle from REA, FIRST class.
John

Kutcher55 11-07-2021 04:02 AM

Was there Friday. Great show with a big vintage selection. The pricing was all over the place. Definitely a lot of overpriced stuff but there were also some good bargains to be had if you picked your spots. I want to go back today but can’t make it up there until 1ish and figure dealers will be packing their stuff by then.

Some amazing merch at this show.

BabyRuth 11-07-2021 07:28 AM

Was there yesterday, the place was packed and the prices were soaring into the stratosphere! The collecting aspect of the hobby seems to be waning, while the investor crowd has taken over.

Kutcher55 11-07-2021 08:18 AM

Still plenty of room for the collector imo.

wolf441 11-07-2021 08:23 AM

I was there yesterday, large crowd and had a chance to talk to some of my favorite dealers!! Not many deals to be had, spent less than $100 on the day.

Johnny630 11-07-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyRuth (Post 2161508)
Was there yesterday, the place was packed and the prices were soaring into the stratosphere! The collecting aspect of the hobby seems to be waning, while the investor crowd has taken over.

I agree…..for the cards and conditions I collect I can’t afford much of anything I would like to buy. I’m OK with being happy with what I have and not adding to my collection :-)

aelefson 11-08-2021 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was a great show as usual! I had a great time seeing friends and amazing items. I was there every day walking around the show. I sold some items, traded some, and bought the items pictured below (I traded for the bats). I think this was my best show for purchases ever. I got the early women's basketball team photo, Ruth magazine, glove box, and the color 19th century paper item on Friday, the bats (including a 1930s Ruth store model and an acorn knob type), Ruth strip card, and Harvard player cabinet card on Saturday and the early balls on Sunday.

I am most excited about the early balls. One is close to a full size lemon peel, one is an early figure eight hand stitched, and the two smaller ones have odd stitching (one has no visible stitching). I have never had the opportunity to purchase that many early balls in one lot, and they fit in my collection perfectly.

Alan

mrreality68 11-08-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelefson (Post 2161944)
It was a great show as usual! I had a great time seeing friends and amazing items. I was there every day walking around the show. I sold some items, traded some, and bought the items pictured below (I traded for the bats). I think this was my best show for purchases ever. I got the early women's basketball team photo, Ruth magazine, glove box, and the color 19th century paper item on Friday, the bats (including a 1930s Ruth store model and an acorn knob type), Ruth strip card, and Harvard player cabinet card on Saturday and the early balls on Sunday.

I am most excited about the early balls. One is close to a full size lemon peel, one is an early figure eight hand stitched, and the two smaller ones have odd stitching (one has no visible stitching). I have never had the opportunity to purchase that many early balls in one lot, and they fit in my collection perfectly.

Alan

Congrats Great pickups and a lot of interesting history there

jsfriedm 11-08-2021 01:10 PM

Great selection and loved talking with people, especially the REA guys, but overall impression was that the prices were far higher than they are at auction these days. Also, a bunch of seeming new hires who didn't seem to know much about their cards - one asking for a minimum of $75 for 1933 Goudey raw commons (and he didn't know which ones were commons and which were HOFers, but the prices were written on the back). Ended up finding some small deals and getting 4 raw 1933 Goudey commons and a couple of T205 PSA 4 commons.

NATCARD 11-09-2021 05:09 PM

Shriners Sales!

I have been set up there for years and the show was outstanding. If you price your cards to sell, you will sell them. That is what I did and if I made numerous people happy that works for both of us. For anyone that stopped by my 3 tables, Thanks! Jeff W

jbsports33 11-10-2021 06:55 PM

Great stuff Alan! Hope you are well

Jimmy