Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is your Bucket List Card. That you are willing to trade it all for (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308437)

mrreality68 09-27-2021 02:42 PM

What is your Bucket List Card. That you are willing to trade it all for

Hi

The Mantle vs Mantles Thread card has me thinking.

WHAT IS YOUR ONE Bucket List Card or cards That you would be willing to trade most or all of your collection to get your hands on.

The key is to get it you would need to sell/trade most or all of you collection.

So what card is your Dream Card

Johnny630 09-27-2021 02:44 PM

You know my answer Jeff !! Hahha

What would be yours?

sportscardpete 09-27-2021 02:46 PM

Jeff it would be your Ruth rookie :)

The Ruth rookie is high on my list but probably not achievable. The other card is the e107 Wagner. Both I would give most of my collection up for.

G1911 09-27-2021 02:47 PM

Most boring answer but - none. Owning one really expensive card would add little pleasure, I can look at the same picture only so much. Nowhere near as much fun as a larger collection that doesn’t show I have lots of $$$$ or hobby clout.

bnorth 09-27-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2148602)
Most boring answer but - none. Owning one really expensive card would add little pleasure, I can look at the same picture only so much. Nowhere near as much fun as a larger collection that doesn’t show I have lots of $$$$ or hobby clout.

^^This all day^^

There are 3 cards I would really like to have. I owned 2 of them before but sold/traded them.

A 1983 Topps Wade Boggs wrong back with Wade on the front, I have the Wade on back one.

A T206 Red Cobb with Old Mill back

A 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews

mrreality68 09-27-2021 03:06 PM

For me my passion is primarily for Jackson and Then Ruth

MY Bucket List cards in a nice Grade in this order

1. 1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
2. 1916 Babe Ruth Rookie Card with a Rare Advertising Back (Standard Biscuit, Indianapolis Brewing Co)
3. Boston Garter Joe Jackson

Frankish 09-27-2021 03:07 PM

Man, that's a tough proposition. For the most part, I agree with the above answers that trading all of my collection for one card might not work for me.

BUT (by value, at least, rather than number of cards), I'd probably trade 80% of my collection for a playing days Eiji Sawamura card. There have been hints, but it's unclear to me if such a monster really exists....

BobC 09-27-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Agree with this. The term "collector" kind of indicates you like to collect as much as you can of something, not just own a single item, which to me is not a collection.

But in the spirit of the thread, I would probably trade/sell everything I have for the PSA8 Wagner........and then immediately sell it and buy back everything I had just sold/traded, and then some.

BobC 09-27-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankish (Post 2148609)
Man, that's a tough proposition. For the most part, I agree with the above answers that trading all of my collection for one card might not work for me.

BUT (by value, at least, rather than number of cards), I'd probably trade 80% of my collection for a playing days Eiji Sawamura card. There have been hints, but it's unclear to me if such a monster really exists....

Nice...... :D

atx840 09-27-2021 03:18 PM

It can all go for this one. Passed on it for $26k 12 years ago, I am sure it's worth 10x now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...rA7difq5wTnd-A

h2oya311 09-27-2021 03:26 PM

1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth. I'm not picky about which color. :D

irv 09-27-2021 03:28 PM

I wouldn't trade my 52's to get the current 52's I really want but I would trade most or all of my other collection in my Net54 sig below in order to get a 52 Topps Mathews, Campy, Wilhelm and Dickey.

Carter08 09-27-2021 03:29 PM

Sort of obtainable but a nice Joe Jackson CJ is up there on my list.

JeremyW 09-27-2021 03:44 PM

Other than for an obvious financial advantage, I wouldn't trade my collection for any one card.

brianp-beme 09-27-2021 03:44 PM

No way...I wouldn't trade all my cards for one (or even two or a few) cards.

But now for the silly answer. A 1933 Goudey of Al Simmons is high up on my 'bucketfoot' list.

Brian

egri 09-27-2021 03:51 PM

I don’t know that there is a trade I’d make. I’m a set collector, and trading away them all for one card so I need to start from scratch again defeats the purpose.

commishbob 09-27-2021 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 480525

This is up on eBay right now and it's a card I've always wanted. I doubt I'd trade my collection for it though. That price would wipe out my Topps complete sets give or take a set. I have too much time/work invested in them to swap 'em for one card, no matter how much I'd love to have it.

mrreality68 09-27-2021 04:15 PM

Agreed many people would not do this that have nice big collection and/or does sets.
This only came to mind because of the Mantle for Mantles thread.
I thought it would be interesting to see what a person had on their bucket list and what they were or were not willing to give up for it.

I have seen "bucket list threads" but those are easy but giving up a big portion of your collection that took years to get, hunt down, buy, etc makes it harder for most of us

Rhotchkiss 09-27-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 2148614)
It can all go for this one. Passed on it for $26k 12 years ago, I am sure it's worth 10x now.

Chris, I had a chance to buy this exact card about two years ago and I could not agree on price with owner. Apparently, someone later bought it for the asking price - he can have it! Great card though

I would not trade my collection for any one card and the one card I really want but will likely never own is a BN Ruth. That said, realistically, I want a W600 Cobb

brian1961 09-27-2021 04:33 PM

Good question. In my heart, one card would not be worth my collection at all.

However, back in 1989, I was able to track down a 1954 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle that had been in a SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction. I won't give you "the full load of hay" so to speak, since my story does not explicitly answer the OP's question of ALL for ONE.

You see, the card did not sell in the auction, because Mr. Mint was blown away by the card's appearance, and listed it in SCD as MINT, but he failed to notice the faint front crease. The consignor must not have mentioned it. Back the card went to the owner, a very well-known figure in the hobby, who only dealt with the choicest of items.

The owner gave me 2 months to raise the money----$2,500, a LOT of money for one card at that time. In 1989, one could place a large ad in SCD and get great results, IF they had the right kind of stuff for sale. With God's help, I just made it.

The owner was true to his word, and saved the card back for me. When I got the card, it was precisely as he described it: a faint, but definite, half-inch "front crease" starting at the middle left front side of the card, but not touching Mickey at all. Otherwise, that Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle was GEM MINT and dead-centered! For a 1954, that's saying something significant, because Milprint Printers changed the way the cards were cut in 1954-55, creating sheets of all 12 cards separated only by die-cut tabs. The cards had much more rounded corners, which meant that unless the card was printed virtually centered, it would look off or even slightly mis-cut.

Sorry guys, I'm getting verbose, again.

Long to short, I turned many cards and items into 1 card, and have NEVER regretted it. So, no, I wouldn't give them all up for one, but I gave up a bunch of nice items for 1 great Mickey Mantle.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening.:o

Cheers. ---Brian Powell

BobbyStrawberry 09-27-2021 04:59 PM

Mine would have to be a KOSW Cobb t206.

irv 09-27-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 2148614)

It went for almost $93,000 in 2013.
http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_128.html

mrreality68 09-27-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 2148641)
Good question. In my heart, one card would not be worth my collection at all.

However, back in 1989, I was able to track down a 1954 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle that had been in a SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction. I won't give you "the full load of hay" so to speak, since my story does not explicitly answer the OP's question of ALL for ONE.

You see, the card did not sell in the auction, because Mr. Mint was blown away by the card's appearance, and listed it in SCD as MINT, but he failed to notice the faint front crease. The consignor must not have mentioned it. Back the card went to the owner, a very well-known figure in the hobby, who only dealt with the choicest of items.

The owner gave me 2 months to raise the money----$2,500, a LOT of money for one card at that time. In 1989, one could place a large ad in SCD and get great results, IF they had the right kind of stuff for sale. With God's help, I just made it.

The owner was true to his word, and saved the card back for me. When I got the card, it was precisely as he described it: a faint, but definite, half-inch "front crease" starting at the middle left front side of the card, but not touching Mickey at all. Otherwise, that Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle was GEM MINT and dead-centered! For a 1954, that's saying something significant, because Milprint Printers changed the way the cards were cut in 1954-55, creating sheets of all 12 cards separated only by die-cut tabs. The cards had much more rounded corners, which meant that unless the card was printed virtually centered, it would look off or even slightly mis-cut.

Sorry guys, I'm getting verbose, again.

Long to short, I turned many cards and items into 1 card, and have NEVER regretted it. So, no, I wouldn't give them all up for one, but I gave up a bunch of nice items for 1 great Mickey Mantle.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening.:o

Cheers. ---Brian Powell

Great story and probably better describes what I was looking for. Many quality cards that you hold close for 1 great card on your list.

That is an amazing card

hcv123 09-27-2021 05:40 PM

With the "there isn't one" crowd

Way too much time, joy and stories involved in the collection to trade for a single card. That said, the one that might make me pause and actually think about it - BN Ruth

MuncieNolePAZ 09-27-2021 05:50 PM

I have always wanted a Cobb Cobb T206. I would hate to trade my whole collection but would probably make the deal. The good news is I don’t have a ton of cards. I think I could eventually track most of them down again. Not sure I could afford them all, at least not for a long time. Realistically, although trending the other way the past couple years, I really want a 1914 CJ Cobb.

Chad

Exhibitman 09-27-2021 06:45 PM

I assume the hypo is aimed at keeping the card; if i can sell it, I want a nice T206 Wagner which I will then sell and use the profits to start all over again.

If I have to keep the card, then a signed Babe Ruth Exhibit would induce me to clear out a lot of stuff.

kmac32 09-27-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2148675)
I assume the hypo is aimed at keeping the card; if i can sell it, I want a nice T206 Wagner which I will then sell and use the profits to start all over again.

If I have to keep the card, then a signed Babe Ruth Exhibit would induce me to clear out a lot of stuff.

Agreed, sell it, pay off my home and all bills, and start over again.

MVSNYC 09-27-2021 07:53 PM

T206 Wagner.

25801wv 09-27-2021 08:36 PM

1917 Babe Ruth Collins-McCarthy or Boston Store

ullmandds 09-27-2021 08:40 PM

Only card I'd trade my whole collection for is a t206 Wags or a balt news ruth.

clydepepper 09-27-2021 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd give almost all of what I have left to get this one back:

Are you listening Howard?

Seller's regret is an evil thing.

Attachment 480572

Republicaninmass 09-28-2021 04:56 AM

I've had 2 opportunities for trading a large portion of my collection where I thought about it.

Few years back Cobb/cobb back- not a t206 collector but love the card and stories. Was offered a week before the lucky 7 find. I figured prices would plummet.

2 decades ago Plank tougher back (?) - not a t206 guy, but I felt it was likely undervalued back then

Both cards have increased considerably, but my collection has outweighed it. Aside from easier storage, i dot not think I'd be happier with just one card, even a rarity.

mrreality68 09-28-2021 05:20 AM

Great Replies on both sides of the question

I should have realized based on the size of the Collection thread that so many collectors would stick with most/all of their collection and not have or want to trade it for one big or bucket list card.

Good Learnings and insight into this board

Popcorn 09-28-2021 05:25 PM

Gehrig rookie, 1925 w590 or exhibit.

iwantitiwinit 09-28-2021 05:56 PM

T206 Plank PSA 5

Peter_Spaeth 09-28-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Well said.

samosa4u 09-28-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2148598)

WHAT IS YOUR ONE Bucket List Card or cards That you would be willing to trade most or all of your collection to get your hands on.

The key is to get it you would need to sell/trade most or all of you collection.

So what card is your Dream Card

For those of you who said that you could never give up your whole collection for just one card, think again! The OP made no mention of value! Would you not give up your ten or fifty-thousand dollar collection for a T206 Wagner?
https://thefullcircle.com/wp-content.../homer-doh.jpg

bnorth 09-28-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2149055)
For those of you who said that you could never give up your whole collection for just one card, think again! The OP made no mention of value! Would you not give up your ten or fifty-thousand dollar collection for a T206 Wagner?

I wouldn't trade my collection for all the T206 Wagner cards. I seriously enjoy my collection and wouldn't enjoy the Wagner cards at all.

Trading for a card worth way more than what you have just to sell and rebuy your old cards makes about as much sense as using a wish for more wishes.;)

sreader3 09-28-2021 09:15 PM

T206 Collins (Batting)

1 Attachment(s)
So for me, this is THE card. T206 proof, 1 of 1, undisputed Hall of Famer, 1939 HOF inductee. Congrats Keith O.

sreader3 09-28-2021 09:22 PM

T206 Collins (Batting)

Duplicate post. Man I am getting old.

samosa4u 09-28-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2149070)
I wouldn't trade my collection for all the T206 Wagner cards.

stub·born
/ˈstəbərn/

having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

mrreality68 09-29-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2149055)

Part of the Fun of the Thread. Also I never thought I needed to set 10 to 20 ground rules and to try and close all the LOOP holes.

I enjoy seeing and hearing all sides of the choice or non choice and the why's

Learn alot :D

x2drich2000 09-29-2021 05:51 AM

For me, the one card I would really want would be the Just So Cy Young.
However, I would not trade my collection for it. In the past I have thought about selling my whole collection to acquire a single marquee card but quickly realized that I like having a collection that I have built from scratch, that has memories of when I bought certain items, and is made up of several items that are just cool or are super rare even if they are not valuable. I guess I would really just prefer to have several cards in my collection that are extremely rare instead of one.

The other big thing that would stop me from making that trade is the value difference. If you are trading with another collector there should be some sort of equality in the trade. Yes, there can be some value difference when someone really wants something and the items are extremely rare, but a difference of millions of dollars is not suitable. I would simply feel guilty and never be able to enjoy the card knowing how I got it with such a difference value.

sportscardpete 09-29-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2149091)
stub·born
/ˈstəbərn/

having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

LOL I thought the same thing.

bnorth 09-29-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2149091)
stub·born
/ˈstəbərn/

If the question was do you want a free T206 Wagner to sell I would be all over that. I don't collect T206s or Wagner so why would I want to give up a collection I love for something I wouldn't like.:confused:

darkhorse9 09-29-2021 08:34 AM

I've actually considered this as a possibility for helping my heir.

My son has no interest in card collecting. When I'm gone, the idea of him having to deal with selling a collection of hundreds of complete sets dating back to the 40's is frightening. By getting rid of all the sets and converting them to a few simple high value cards might make a lot of sense for him.

darwinbulldog 09-29-2021 10:00 AM

Given the condition that we don't have to give up all of our collection, only most of it, there are plenty of cards I could name that I'd make the trade for. Certainly a T206 Wagner, a BN Ruth, a T210 Jackson, or a Cobb/Cobb, but dozens of other lesser known cards as well.

In most of those cases I wouldn't trade all of my current collection, there being quite a few unique cards that I couldn't bear to part with. Then again, for $6 million, I suppose I could learn to get over it.

pawpawdiv9 09-29-2021 12:41 PM

dream card-
a 1916 Ruth RC , but i certainly loved this one (a Reccius Wagner)
https://prewarcardsdotcom.files.word...pg?w=211&h=308

BeanTown 09-29-2021 02:38 PM

W600 Cobb
Baltimore Ruth
T210 Jackson
1891 Ryder cabinet Young
Zeenut DiMaggio with coupon
Tubes PC Cobb
25 Exhibit Gehrig
Rose PC Cobb
Rose PC Walter Johnson

JollyElm 09-29-2021 02:41 PM