Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dean's Cards claim... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307795)

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-12-2021 02:45 PM

Dean's Cards claim...

Anyone actually read a Dean's listing?

enjoy!

In 2019, we launched grading software, that we use to evaluate the cards that we sell. While the software will eventually be used to grade most of our inventory, the cards are still reviewed by human eyes to catch any flaws that the software may miss.

This grading software was developed to provide far better grading and consistency than can obtained using the human eye. For example, the scan sees the card at 1200 pixels per inch and a person with 20/20 vision sees it at only 338 ppi.

Hxcmilkshake 09-12-2021 04:29 PM

How did we survive before this....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

rdwyer 09-12-2021 04:31 PM

They also have software that will triple the going price for each card.

53toppscollector 09-12-2021 04:36 PM

I've had them on my excluded sellers list on my automated ebay searches for a long time

mrreality68 09-12-2021 05:41 PM

Hi

All I know is he has many cards I would not mind owning.

But unfortunately his prices are higher than I feel the cards are worth.

And oddly his prices on his own website are the same or higher then on eBay.

When ideally he would charge less then eBay since he would not have to pay their fees if he sold it on his own site

bnorth 09-12-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2144093)
Hi

When ideally he would charge less then eBay since he would not have to pay their fees if he sold it on his own site

I feel the same as the part I made bold. Crazily on many of those cards they are now the cheapest on eBay.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-12-2021 06:06 PM

I guess my point was either he's full of it, or he has software that none of the grading companies can figure out. My guess is the former.

mrreality68 09-12-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2144094)
I feel the same as the part I made bold. Crazily on many of those cards they are now the cheapest on eBay.

I agree many are “cheaper” than others on eBay.

However when the cards actually sell at the auction houses those cards are often selling for 20 to 30% less then his prices on eBay.

So the only choice is to way to those similar cards are up for auction or pay up the eBay prices or so not do either and do not get the card.

My choice is to wait for the auctions houses have them on auction and let the bidding market decide the worth and bid/buy that way.

I am often willing to pay up a bit for a card but the difference is to great for me and for what the market says those cards are worth.

Frustrating but it is and their choice to put what ever price they want on their cards.

bnorth 09-12-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2144099)
I guess my point was either he's full of it, or he has software that none of the grading companies can figure out. My guess is the former.

I have never looked. Are his grades accurate? I have no idea if they have it but them having it before a grading company doesn't surprise me in the least.

Real grading that will give the same card the same grade every time would go against PSAs please submit again policy.:D

jayshum 09-12-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2144093)
Hi

If you buy direct from his website, there are discounts depending on how much you spend so that can bring the price down below the eBay price.

mrreality68 09-12-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2144107)
If you buy direct from his website, there are discounts depending on how much you spend so that can bring the price down below the eBay price.

Hi

I can only go by what I have seen.
What he does is he puts the price high on his website and then the discount matches the price on eBay.
This card I love and want.

For example that 1922 w575-1 Ruth throwing pose is $89,960 on eBay.

On his site it shows for $112,140 with 20% discount for 89, 712

He also has a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 3 for $94,300
On his we site it shows $117k with 20% discount for $94k

And many others
So that is not a discount/savings to me

BobbyStrawberry 09-12-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 2144081)
they also have software that will triple the going price for each card.

lol !

nsaddict 09-12-2021 07:28 PM

Of all the big sellers on eBay that offer “grades”, I’d consider Dean’s to be accurate!

mrreality68 09-12-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 2144125)
Of all the big sellers on eBay that offer “grades”, I’d consider Dean’s to be accurate!

Hi

My focus is not on his “grades”
I have no knowledge or experience about his software.
He has a lot of positive reviews 43046 and he has 100% positive feedback

So as a business he is doing something right and a lot of people buying from him.

All I am saying is I like a lot of his selection but I will not be buying from him only because I am not willing to pay what he prices his goods at both on eBay and on his website.

In my opinion which is my own and others can disagree is that his prices to me are about 20% or more higher than I am willing to pay and approx the same amount based on what auction houses are getting for the same cards and grades at.

So good for him and his business and I respect what he has accomplished but unfortunately his products will never be on my collection.

And as I said I will wait patiently for the cards I want to come up elsewhere

Collectorsince62 09-12-2021 08:22 PM

Since he charges more, does he pay more for collections? Has anyone sold to him?

He has a 2-minute video on his website where he talks about his buying process. Interesting if for no other reason than to see his facility in the background.

egri 09-12-2021 08:24 PM

For all his faults, at least his scans are front and back, and are very clear.

53toppscollector 09-12-2021 08:25 PM

His prices are insane, but I always assumed their strategy was to just price something once, really high, and eventually the market will move up and meet the price he set. With how many listings they have, and the massive inventory, I doubt they ever adjust prices at all. Set it and forget it, and as the market creeps up, he'll make sales. I do wonder what their buying/sourcing looks like

Eric72 09-12-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53toppscollector (Post 2144134)
...Set it and forget it, and as the market creeps up, he'll make sales...

It's actually not the worst idea in the world.

Still, I've seen them post some breathtakingly high prices. A couple years ago, I was looking for a 1980 Topps Phillies team card. They were asking nearly $100 for a *PARTIAL* Phillies team set, raw.

Still makes me chuckle...

Peter_Spaeth 09-12-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2144139)
It's actually not the worst idea in the world.

Still, I've seen them post some breathtakingly high prices. A couple years ago, I was looking for a 1980 Topps Phillies team card. They were asking nearly $100 for a *PARTIAL* Phillies team set, raw.

Still makes me chuckle...

There are tons of people on ebay posting breathtakingly high prices on commodity cards. I don't get it, but whatever.

rajah424 09-12-2021 09:19 PM

Deans

Several years ago I posted 5-6 T202’s on the BST for what I considered strong prices so that I would have room to lower a little to make a sale. Deans bought all of them for my asking price and paid very promptly. It was a very easy deal.

His prices may be high but no one here is forced to buy from him. Not sure why everyone piles on him, if you don’t like his prices, move on to another seller.

Eric72 09-12-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2144142)
There are tons of people on ebay posting breathtakingly high prices on commodity cards. I don't get it, but whatever.

Somehow, a raw 1980 Bob Boone doesn't seem like a commodity card...if that card was even in the partial set, I don't recall.

Snowman 09-13-2021 03:15 AM

I've seen some crazy high prices and some very realistic market prices from them. It really depends on the card. He's probably in no hurry to sell the 1952 Mantle. I think when you have huge cards like that, sometimes they're more used as marketing listings to draw people into your eBay store or website. He isn't really interested in selling that card at all (unless someone wants to overpay for it of course), but he knows that listing it on eBay at any price brings him more clicks on his other listings.

mrreality68 09-13-2021 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2144162)
I've seen some crazy high prices and some very realistic market prices from them. It really depends on the card. He's probably in no hurry to sell the 1952 Mantle. I think when you have huge cards like that, sometimes they're more used as marketing listings to draw people into your eBay store or website. He isn't really interested in selling that card at all (unless someone wants to overpay for it of course), but he knows that listing it on eBay at any price brings him more clicks on his other listings.

Good Point
Never thought about it as a Draw to his "store"
Not sure on that but good thought and different way to view it

Thanks

Huck 09-16-2021 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 2144081)
They also have software that will triple the going price for each card.

LOL! So true.

T205 GB 09-16-2021 06:11 AM

No one, including myself, has or will ever have AI Grading Software that will be consistent and accurate. Anyone saying different is full of sh!t!!! These idiots are trying to grade with AI instead of using it as a tool. Why would I want my cards graded with AI at a 100x+ zoom when grading companies have only graded with a 10x loupe since grading's mainstream inception dang near. All these pop up grading companies are just diluting the hobby with plastic encased cards. Yeah it may be harder to get a 10 because your being graded on a much more powerful loupe above and beyond the normal constraints of grading. Nothing is consistent anymore and therefore grading is worthless IMO until all these thief's get on the same page again.

Maybe one day a grading company will pull their heads out of their a$$es and step back for a look at what they stand for and where they want to go. Hopefully they find the right people to lead the way because as of now they are really just laughing stocks.

Snowman 09-16-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2144099)

I don't see any reason to think he's lying. It's pretty easy to build software that grades cards. The challenge is in building software that's good enough to replace a human grader (and "challenge" is an understatement). However, he seems pretty transparent when he says that the cards are still reviewed by human eyes and that the software is still a ways out from doing what he hopes it will do. He just isn't aware yet that he'll never reach his goal. But that doesn't make him a liar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2144058)
In 2019, we launched grading software, that we use to evaluate the cards that we sell. While the software will eventually be used to grade most of our inventory, the cards are still reviewed by human eyes to catch any flaws that the software may miss.

Snowman 09-16-2021 02:16 PM

In case you haven't read it yet, I wrote a long, detailed series of posts in the "Grading using artificial intelligence" thread that dives into the specific challenges of AI grading, from my perspective (I write the same types of "AI" algorithms for work, but for different applications). My posts start at post #17.

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=306196