Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So much for going to Target. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=301885)

Brian Van Horn 05-13-2021 05:33 AM

So much for going to Target.

Oh, that's right. I haven't gotten a card in a pack at a store since 1986.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/target-...050501463.html

Republicaninmass 05-13-2021 05:46 AM

Kind of like when certain fans "broke the internet" by watching a video

I can see this as the continuation of the modern card downward spiral. Many posts over on the Blowout forum how cards which were sent for grading under higher levels, would now fit into lower tiers as prices have been heading down.

bbcard1 05-13-2021 06:32 AM

I hope this means that LCS will get a reasonable allocation of product. I have a couple of associates who own good shops who would gladly expand but they simply cannot get new unopened product.

Eric72 05-13-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 2102624)

I hope this means that LCS will get a reasonable allocation of product...

That would be a nice unintended benefit.

Exhibitman 05-13-2021 07:50 AM

What's the line on a fight over cards breaking out at the National this year?

perezfan 05-13-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2102650)
What's the line on a fight over cards breaking out at the National this year?

About the same as a fight over a place in line at the gas station currently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcUHbFA1GE

brianp-beme 05-13-2021 10:41 AM

Ironically this Target announcement seems to allow sales of NHL cards, because we all know that Hockey is the most fight inducing of all the major North American sports.

Brian

Eric72 05-13-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2102712)
Ironically this Target announcement seems to allow sales of NHL cards, because we all know that Hockey is the most fight inducing of all the major North American sports.

Brian

LOL

They also seem to allow the sales of Magic: The Gathering, a game in which you have your creatures enter into combat.

chalupacollects 05-13-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 2102624)
I hope this means that LCS will get a reasonable allocation of product. I have a couple of associates who own good shops who would gladly expand but they simply cannot get new unopened product.

From what I understand the breakers are getting the bulk of allocations since they are willing to pay higher prices than LCS's to get product... Have heard this from several LCS's.

Directly 05-13-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2102712)

Brian

Our understanding is ALL collectible cards will not be sold in the Target retail stores beginning May 14th but will be available on-line in two or three weeks-- so assume bots will get it all?

Jason 05-13-2021 01:18 PM

That's a shame. Though I haven't seen cards on a local Target shelf in years!

Kidnapped18 05-13-2021 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to pick up a box of football cards and a box of baseball cards last Friday at my local Targets. My first card packs in 20+ years!!

drcy 05-14-2021 12:09 AM

Almost like an Onion article

glynparson 05-14-2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Directly (Post 2102750)
Our understanding is ALL collectible cards will not be sold in the Target retail stores beginning May 14th but will be available on-line in two or three weeks-- so assume bots will get it all?

Our target has specifically stated magic, soccer, hockey and some other I forget product will be on shelves the rest will be pulled it is absolutely not all products at some targets. Maybe yours is different but I know of several that made that statement. I only know this because my friend owns the local shop so I am in their a lot and hear people talking about this new stuff and even grabbed some boxes one day because I was in target and saw them stocking. Say what you want I wasn’t letting the money just lie there for someone else to make. Ow clowns fighting over cards are funny and despite teds post modern is still incredibly strong it’s not collapsing despite his claims.

Wimberleycardcollector 05-14-2021 09:20 AM

The Washington Post article I read this morning said that only baseball, football and Pokeman cards would be removed and not sold. Too bad a few have to ruin it for everyone. Typical these days. It's why we can't have nice things. I was beginning to find a few Heritage boxes at Target recently.

bbcard1 05-14-2021 09:25 AM

I saw where one store replaced their sports cards with employment applications! Hey, if you can't flip cards you still got to make a living!

Kidnapped18 05-14-2021 12:11 PM

For what it’s worth I went to Target this am and spoke with the customer service clerk who said they no longer sell sports trading cards. I asked was it temporary and she said it was permanent.

jgannon 05-15-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2102919)
Almost like an Onion article

It should, but in this day and age, it makes all too much sense. Grown men fighting over baseball cards. Truly sad.

I don't know if Target should not sell cards because of this one incident, but I'm thinking that they just don't want to be bothered, as I've heard that people have been lining up at 3 in the morning to get cards, and stores have had to try to figure out strategically when the best time it would be to release new cards to keep the feeding frenzies manageable.

It reminds me of an antique dealer I once spoke with when I went to his store looking for old records. He said, he stopped selling them, because collectors looking for them would clog up the store, hovering over what he had, nitpicking and often not buying anything. He wanted them out of his hair.