Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just curious / Auction catalogs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299146)

bbcard1 03-23-2021 10:20 AM

Just curious / Auction catalogs

Does anyone else prefer NOT to get physical auction catalogs? I look at all the auctions online and a lot of times the catalogs go straight into the recycling.

I know in theory you can contact the auction houses and get taken off the list...but a lot of times they just don't do it. I understand. They put a lot of work into their catalogs.

ullmandds 03-23-2021 10:54 AM

I also prefer...NOT...to get these.

tab 03-23-2021 11:04 AM

My wife does NOT like for me to get them. I guess she thinks the faster she throws them in the recycling the better chance of me not making a purchase. I prefer to look online anyways.

Casey2296 03-23-2021 11:08 AM

I prefer to save a tree and save the AH the cost of sending them out, the picture resolution online is far superior to any print material. There should be an opt-out box when you sign up, would be a huge cost saving to the AH.

Orioles1954 03-23-2021 11:11 AM

As someone who works in the industry, catalogs are mainly for consignors who want to see their stuff in print. H&S has scaled down print catalogs and we even offer a $10 credit per auction to opt out.

sb1 03-23-2021 11:45 AM

I rarely open the package, except to save the box or padded envelope.

Online viewing and enlarged scans, plus search capabilities renders a catalog near useless.

hcv123 03-23-2021 11:52 AM

I'll be the odd man out

While I generally check out auctions first online, in most cases I often find additional items of interest by browsing the catalog. Perhaps I have too many interests!

Leon 03-23-2021 11:52 AM

For many years now catalogs have been for consignors. I very rarely look at them anymore....

Shoeless Moe 03-23-2021 12:00 PM

I've been asking the moron at Mile High Auctions for the past few years every time a catalog is sent to remove me from the mailing list.

I'm starting to think he just doesn't know how to do that, but rather then ask somebody he keeps just keeps sending them and they go right in the trash.

nineunder71 03-23-2021 12:15 PM

I would like to know what one of these things total cost to print and send is? And if the AH sees a profitable return for this form of marketing? My guess is they Do Not, would love to see internal analytics for this

D. Bergin 03-23-2021 12:25 PM

Forget auction catalogs. We get 2 Uline catalogs a month in my household. They are the size and weight of a large phone book. I think the last one pushed 1000 pages. There is nothing in them (even less stuff in fact), that's not on their website. They go straight in the recycling. Can't figure out how to opt out of them.

Leon 03-23-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineunder71 (Post 2084616)
I would like to know what one of these things total cost to print and send is? And if the AH sees a profitable return for this form of marketing? My guess is they Do Not, would love to see internal analytics for this

I think you are missing the point. The catalogs aren't for marketing or buyers, generally, unless that marketing is to take in more consignments. They are to make the consignors feel good. And they do add a little more publicity in that some will get opened and looked at. I think if you used a median of about 25k to print and ship....you would be in the ballpark.

Orioles1954 03-23-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2084629)
I think you are missing the point. The catalogs aren't for marketing or buyers, generally, unless that marketing is to take in more consignments. They are to make the consignors feel good. And they do add a little more publicity in that some will get opened and looked at. I think if you used a median of about 25k to print and ship....you would be in the ballpark.

A little more...around 30K

Orioles1954 03-23-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2084629)

You're right in the ballpark.

BRoberts 03-23-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2084634)
A little more...around 30K

The cost is somewhat influenced by how many catalogs are printed and shipped. So the cost for a Huggins & Scott wouldn't be as high as the cost for a major auction house.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-23-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2084655)
The cost is somewhat influenced by how many catalogs are printed and shipped. So the cost for a Huggins & Scott wouldn't be as high as the cost for a major auction house.

Having worked in a print shop you'd be stunned at how little cost additional copies are. The cost is in the design and the set up. Once you're running you're just paying for ink, paper and time. The cost difference between running 25,000 copies of something and 50,000 copies of something is nowhere near 100%. Depending on a bunch of factors it could be as little as 10% more.

Mark17 03-23-2021 01:35 PM

Many years ago, AH would boast about how many catalogs they sent out. I always assumed the majors, like Lelands and REA, were competing with each other for the prestige (to garner more and better consignments) of sending out the most catalogs.

pokerplyr80 03-23-2021 01:39 PM

I appreciate them if I have a flight coming up. Although I haven't gone anywhere in a while with everything going on.

frankbmd 03-23-2021 01:42 PM

C’mon men. If catalogs were not printed, buyer’s premiums might have to be reduced. You wouldn’t want that now, would you?

BRoberts 03-23-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2084660)
Having worked in a print shop you'd be stunned at how little cost additional copies are. The cost is in the design and the set up. Once you're running you're just paying for ink, paper and time. The cost difference between running 25,000 copies of something and 50,000 copies of something is nowhere near 100%. Depending on a bunch of factors it could be as little as 10% more.

I'll stand by my statement, even though I've never worked at Kinko's. The cost of producing and shipping 10,000 catalogs vs., say, 50,000, isn't negligible.

nineunder71 03-23-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2084668)
C’mon men. If catalogs were not printed, buyer’s premiums might have to be reduced. You wouldn’t want that now, would you?

Funny how I ‘missed the point’

However, every post since has been exactly on que as for my point.....

The cost to design, print & ship these things out cannot equate in a positive return for the business, OR, us the buyers. If they are only for the consignors, just send them to the consignors?? 30k for the majority, buyers like me, to dump in the trash just doesn’t seem like a good move to me. That was the point

I’m not ‘missing the point’, I’m making A point

Oh, and thank you Frank, exactly!

Steve D 03-23-2021 02:39 PM

I greatly prefer to not get them. Each one clogs up my mail box; one REA catalog, and nothing else will fit, except maybe a postcard. Plus, I need a back brace to carry it across my apartment complex.

Steve

Jewish-collector 03-23-2021 11:05 PM

I used to collect auction catalogs. The bigger the better. But, the novelty wore off. Plus the fact certain auction houses now refuse to send me catalogs, because I never bid high enough to win anything. :(

perezfan 03-23-2021 11:17 PM

If you surveyed this topic on the Memorabilia side, the response would be different. Hard-copy catalogs and visual presentation is more important and conducive to a wide array of memorabilia than cards.

I'm sure many people would still prefer to forego paper catalogues, but you'd also have a significantly higher percentage that like/want them.

I just came off a 3 hour flight that was made much more enjoyable by having the Mile High and LOTG Catalogs in the seat pocket!

dio 03-23-2021 11:27 PM

I'm the minority and i do like to get the catalog
I like the feel of flipping the pages

ALBB 03-24-2021 05:07 AM

catalog

Love getting them

x2drich2000 03-24-2021 06:05 AM

I'm split on getting catalogs. When they are done well, I love getting them. REA, LOTG, HA, etc provide a great resource when not at the computer. I can get good idea of the item, a bit of background, and can actually decide if it something I'm interested in. On the other hand, the ones done poorly and only show a 1" image of the card and just the minimum bid such as Hunts, Collect, Clean Sweep do nothing for me. I can't make a decision based on the information provided so I don't even bother opening them. Also, whichever one (Memory Lane? Mile High?) has all the tabs along the side annoys me for some reason.

sycks22 03-24-2021 07:11 AM

I mainly keep the big dogs (Heritage, REA) and trash the rest.

eastonfalcon19 03-24-2021 07:22 AM

I love going through them...so with that being said if anybody has any catalogs from Hunt Live Auctions please let me know. Ill give them a good home.

Jim65 03-24-2021 10:10 AM

I like getting them. Auction catalogs are perfect when you're on the pishadu.

LEHR 03-24-2021 11:27 AM

I always view auctions online and I rarely look at the catalogs more than a one time flip through.
I only keep the catalogs in which I'm consigned something; all the rest are thrown in the recycle bin within a day or two.

Bicem 03-24-2021 01:08 PM

In my ideal all AH's would get rid of them and pass the savings off as reduced BP's (which I think benefits consignors more than a catalog).

riggs336 03-24-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2084580)
As someone who works in the industry, catalogs are mainly for consignors who want to see their stuff in print. H&S has scaled down print catalogs and we even offer a $10 credit per auction to opt out.

I opted out of print early on and have really enjoyed and appreciated those $10 credits.

timzcardz 03-24-2021 01:45 PM

Personally, as a bidder/buyer, I like the real world catalogs.

I spend all day in front of a computer, and sitting down a flipping through the pages is much more relaxing.

On the auction business side of it, the hard catalog does result in more bids from me on additional items. I do look online before the catalog arrives, but when turning the pages I often find things that interest me that I missed or just passed over online.

Republicaninmass 03-24-2021 02:02 PM

Of all the ridiculous gripes on the forum, this one takes the cake!

Congrats, maybe go shake your fist at some clouds?

When the servers get hacked and all the information is lost, good luck with any research

bbcard1 03-24-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2084660)

I've done dozens, probably hundreds, of brochures, catalogs, and annual reports in my career. The biggest part of the problem isn't in the printing. They are then labeled, transported, and sooner taken to the landfill. It has a cumulative effect much greater than printing.