Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do you store your pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290945)

UKCardGuy 10-25-2020 06:12 PM

How do you store your pins?

I've been slowly building my collection of pin. I've been keeping these in small riker display cases.

These works great for smaller pins (Sweet Caporal, cracker jack, etc). But I've picked up 30 PM10s and I think there must be something better. I like this look of this one but I was wondering how other more experienced pin guys store your collections?

I considered coin flips and coin capsules but I don't think they'll be deep enough to hold the pins properly.

I keep my Topps and Salada coins in self adhesive coin flips that I store in boxes. That makes it easy to look through. I'd love to have something similar that works for my pins.

Thanks.

Chris Counts 10-25-2020 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not very sophisticated, but they look great in my display case ...

nolemmings 10-25-2020 10:32 PM

I remember one board member here mentioning and I think even showing a scan of his pins in styrofoam or similar foam. Unless there's some reason to see the back then I think this is a good idea, as you can pretty much align them any way you want, and cstomize the size of your display case.

UKCardGuy 10-26-2020 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2029135)
It's not very sophisticated, but they look great in my display case ...

Thanks guys. Chris, I really like your display, especially the wax boxes. I've done something similar but I'm looking for a way of protecting the pins and being able to store them when I run out of shelf space. :)

conor912 10-26-2020 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the Riker cases as well. Styrofoam is a decent option but unless they’re covered, they’re a pain to dust.

Chris Counts 10-26-2020 02:25 PM

I don't have to worry about running out of space for my pins because I have all the cheap ones, and everyone I need is like $500. :D Did you see the prices in the last Hake's auction? Pins have become a rich man's sport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2029198)
Thanks guys. Chris, I really like your display, especially the wax boxes. I've done something similar but I'm looking for a way of protecting the pins and being able to store them when I run out of shelf space. :)

MK 10-26-2020 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2029066)
I've been slowly building my collection of pin. I've been keeping these in small riker display cases.

These works great for smaller pins (Sweet Caporal, cracker jack, etc). But I've picked up 30 PM10s and I think there must be something better. I like this look of this one but I was wondering how other more experienced pin guys store your collections?

I considered coin flips and coin capsules but I don't think they'll be deep enough to hold the pins properly.

I keep my Topps and Salada coins in self adhesive coin flips that I store in boxes. That makes it easy to look through. I'd love to have something similar that works for my pins.

Thanks.

I had this built for some of my pins.

UKCardGuy 10-26-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2029315)
I don't have to worry about running out of space for my pins because I have all the cheap ones, and everyone I need is like $500. :D Did you see the prices in the last Hake's auction? Pins have become a rich man's sport.

I can sympathize. I looked in awe at the sums at the last Hake's auction. My style is to find items in lesser auctions where the prices are far more reasonable. If I can buy pins in a coin auction and cards in a toy auction... I sometmes find bargains.

Pins and Pennants are fun additions to my collection. I just need much less space to manage my pin collection.

CobbSpikedMe 10-26-2020 08:32 PM

Where do you get the single pin plastic snap cases with the cotton or foam backing? The small ones that I usually see press pins sold in. I have no idea where to search for them.

Thanks in advance.

oldeboo 10-26-2020 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Don't have any pins myself, but could gem jars be an option? Maybe someone has used them?

There are varying sizes up to 2 inches or so I believe. This would only work for some of your smaller pins probably.

Pictures from Ebay.

oldeboo 10-26-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 2029443)
Where do you get the single pin plastic snap cases with the cotton or foam backing? The small ones that I usually see press pins sold in. I have no idea where to search for them.

Thanks in advance.

Might be a better source out there, but do you mean lapel pin cases like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Plast...Cclp%3A2334524

perezfan 10-26-2020 11:03 PM

Pin Display Ideas...

8 Attachment(s)
Tons of different options, displaying Pins...

oldeboo 10-26-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2029470)

I'd say you have it figured out! Some awesome Athletics stuff btw, wow.

UKCardGuy 10-27-2020 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2029334)
I had this built for some of my pins.

I love that display unit. Is that Paul Muchinsky's book that I noticed under the table. I paid more for a copy of that book than most of my pins but it's been a great investment.

UKCardGuy 10-27-2020 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2029470)

Thanks Mark. Some amazing pieces there and some great display ideas.

CobbSpikedMe 10-27-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldeboo (Post 2029452)
Might be a better source out there, but do you mean lapel pin cases like these?

These could work, but I was really talking about the ones that Mark has in his pics of his displays. The ones with single pins in them. Where do you get those ones Mark?

perezfan 10-27-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 2029523)
These could work, but I was really talking about the ones that Mark has in his pics of his displays. The ones with single pins in them. Where do you get those ones Mark?

I have not been able to find those exact press pin cases on their own. It's so frustrating, as they only seem to be available in conjunction with the original press pins.

The closest I can find are the ones posted earlier by "oldeboo"....

These have worked pretty well for me, and are available in different shapes/sizes. Take a look at the various options within the listing, and I'm pretty sure you'll find some that are ideal for display.

CobbSpikedMe 10-27-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2029567)
I have not been able to find those exact press pin cases on their own. It's so frustrating, as they only seem to be available in conjunction with the original press pins.

The closest I can find are the ones posted earlier by "oldeboo"....

These have worked pretty well for me, and are available in different shapes/sizes. Take a look at the various options within the listing, and I'm pretty sure you'll find some that are ideal for display.

Thanks Mark. I'll try one of those and see if it'll work.

perezfan 10-27-2020 06:29 PM

Here's some real irony... I asked the exact same question over 10 years ago. And still no definitive source for these damned things...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122868

Leon 10-28-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2029739)
Here's some real irony... I asked the exact same question over 10 years ago. And still no definitive source for these damned things...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122868

Give it another 10!!
Great displays in this thread. I have usually used the small, clear top boxes with foamy stuff under them to stick the pins to. Just like the ones you show...
Don't have any right now..

MK 10-28-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2029484)
I love that display unit. Is that Paul Muchinsky's book that I noticed under the table. I paid more for a copy of that book than most of my pins but it's been a great investment.

Yes, that’s Paul’s book you see. I keep all my reference books on the lower shelf.

UKCardGuy 10-28-2020 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The suggestions in this thread have been great. In searching for gem pots and plastic boxes, I found a few other interesting things.

I picked up a set of fairly cheap 3d floating frames like these. They work pretty well.

Leon 10-31-2020 12:33 PM

That's cool. But are the pins pinned :) up against the glass? Seems that might not be good for them but I don't know.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2029942)
The suggestions in this thread have been great. In searching for gem pots and plastic boxes, I found a few other interesting things.

I picked up a set of fairly cheap 3d floating frames like these. They work pretty well.

Bigdaddy 10-31-2020 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, but I had to do it.

UKCardGuy 10-31-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2030798)
That's cool. But are the pins pinned :) up against the glass? Seems that might not be good for them but I don't know.....

No, there is no glass...just a soft plastic. Think of it like a thicker version of saran wrap that is pre-stretched across each side of the frame. I put the pins on the plastic and then when the frame is closed, the plastic suspends the pins.

They're not very expensive so I didn't expect much. But It gives a pretty cool effect.

perezfan 10-31-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2030820)
No, there is no glass...just a soft plastic. Think of it like a thicker version of saran wrap that is pre-stretched across each side of the frame. I put the pins on the plastic and then when the frame is closed, the plastic suspends the pins.

They're not very expensive so I didn't expect much. But It gives a pretty cool effect.

They look great!

oldjudge 10-31-2020 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shadow box here:

Den*nis O*Brien 10-31-2020 03:36 PM

Pin Display & Storage

1 Attachment(s)
OK...So...These sturdy cardboard & glass boxes cost $18.00 in an antique mall in Princeton IL. They were offered in many cup sizes. I believe the renter of the space was...Get ready and hold on...GIZMO. Yep..he of all caps and much anger...the "Old" members may remember him vividly. I think he still runs a hobby shop in IL. and is on facebook or has a website. The cups are removable and stand alone in a display setting. I believe that a poster has shown a smaller model.,,Good product I think.

riggs336 10-31-2020 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

Exhibitman 11-01-2020 12:38 PM

I only have a few, stickpin (dangerous) variety. I stick a pins into a thin piece of white high density closed cell foam (the stuff used to insulate pipes) cut to baseball card size, then house it in an Ultr-pro 50-card count case. Looks great.

UKCardGuy 11-02-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riggs336 (Post 2030930)
Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

That's a nice display. Are those Our National Game pins?

UKCardGuy 12-07-2020 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd follow this up with something that I've found in case you all find it useful.

These Hartberger 53mm Coin Flips fit PM10s https://ebay.us/ZJycU5

These Hartberger pages hold the large flips https://ebay.us/OqZ2Jt

They make different size flips and pages that'll accommodate different size pins.

phlflyer1 12-07-2020 08:12 PM

Butterfly Display Case

The frame isn't visible in this shot but I have my P2 set in a shadow box display case meant for displaying butterflies.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fi...3-w823-h652-no