Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Wagner no longer the world's most expensive baseball card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287926)

Gary Dunaier 08-23-2020 12:26 PM

T206 Wagner no longer the world's most expensive baseball card

Move over Honus, here comes Mike.

Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily reports: "The title of world’s most expensive sports trading card changed hands late Saturday night [8/22/20] when the 2009 Bowman Chrome SuperFractor Mike Trout card sold for a whopping $3.84 million . . . . . The one-of-a-kind Trout surpassed the $3.12 million paid in 2016 for one of several dozen known copies of the famed T206 Honus Wagner tobacco card."

Full article here: Mike Trout SuperFractor Becomes Highest Priced Sports Card Ever Sold

chriskim 08-23-2020 12:31 PM

Not true. I have no doubt if Wagner-8 put in auction again, it can easily has a $4M starting bid. There's no single modern card can do that!

Dpeck100 08-23-2020 12:33 PM

Kendrick has it insured for 12 million.

A Mantle 10 is number two I believe.

It should say highest recorded sale but both of these would smash that number by far.

CMIZ5290 08-23-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpeck100 (Post 2011094)
Kendrick has it insured for 12 million.

A Mantle 10 is number two I believe.

It should say highest recorded sale but both of these would smash that number by far.

There is no telling what 52 Topps PSA 10 Mantle would bring.....

Dpeck100 08-23-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 2011139)
There is no telling what 52 Topps PSA 10 Mantle would bring.....

At least 10. Could be way more.

Bigdaddy 08-23-2020 02:46 PM

Not hating on pre-war. You can speculate and deny all you want, but until a card changes hands and a higher selling price is made public, then Trout holds the record.

Personally, I'd take Wagner all day long and Mantle on Sunday. To me, the card (Wagner) trumps the nicest version of a card (Mantle 10). Trout is somewhere down the road.

Republicaninmass 08-23-2020 03:14 PM

Top of the market

Mark this post

Tyruscobb 08-23-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2011154)
Not hating on pre-war. You can speculate and deny all you want, but until a card changes hands and a higher selling price is made public, then Trout holds the record.

Personally, I'd take Wagner all day long and Mantle on Sunday. To me, the card (Wagner) trumps the nicest version of a card (Mantle 10). Trout is somewhere down the road.

I’d even take the ‘52 Mantle PSA 9 over that Trout. It is more impressive than that Trout in my humble opinion. Not speaking to value (although it should be), but to condition, survival, story and hobby significance.

The Trout went from a pack directly into a protective holder. The Mantle has survived, in its 9 condition, almost 70 years. It survived bicycle spokes, kid’s dirty hands, moms cleaning out closets, and from getting dumped into the Atlantic Ocean. All without any specialty holders or cases.

Plus, it single handily is the most significant post-war card and has driven the hobby for years.

rats60 08-23-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2011154)

Disagree. Kendrick has been offered and turned down 10 million for his Wagner. That is just as good as Trout selling at auction. There is nothing saying that if Ken decided to sell, that it wouldn't go for more. I agree that any of the PSA 10 Mantles would sell for more as well as the best BN Ruth. Even that PSA 5MC Wagner is worth more than the Trout. You point to a sale from 4 years ago while the Trout sold for 400k 2 years ago. The jumbo Wagner is gone up a lot in 4 years considering the PSA 2 that sold last year for almost double what it sold for a few years earlier. All premium cards have gone way up recently, not just this Trout.

Santo10Fan 08-23-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2011090)
Move over Honus, here comes Mike.

Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily reports: "The title of world’s most expensive sports trading card changed hands late Saturday night [8/22/20] when the 2009 Bowman Chrome SuperFractor Mike Trout card sold for a whopping $3.84 million . . . . . The one-of-a-kind Trout surpassed the $3.12 million paid in 2016 for one of several dozen known copies of the famed T206 Honus Wagner tobacco card."

Full article here: Mike Trout SuperFractor Becomes Highest Priced Sports Card Ever Sold

For those of us who hold gem mint 2011 TU Trouts, the news couldn't be better.

2dueces 08-23-2020 05:27 PM

Card sold in 2018 for $400K. That’s what I call a good investment. 10x in just 2 years. Congratulations to the consignor.

Tabe 08-23-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 2011165)
I’d even take the ‘52 Mantle PSA 9 over that Trout. It is more impressive than that Trout in my humble opinion. Not speaking to value (although it should be), but to condition, survival, story and hobby significance.

The Trout went from a pack directly into a protective holder. The Mantle has survived, in its 9 condition, almost 70 years. It survived bicycle spokes, kid’s dirty hands, moms cleaning out closets, and from getting dumped into the Atlantic Ocean. All without any specialty holders or cases.

Plus, it single handily is the most significant post-war card and has driven the hobby for years.

If I'm not mistaken, the vast majority of high grade Mantles also went straight from pack to holder as well because they came from the Al Rosen find.

sbfinley 08-23-2020 09:10 PM

All things considered, the Kendrick Wagner sale was 13 years ago and if it hit the market tomorrow a hammer between 25-40 million would not surprise me. Look at the growth in price of almost any premier liquid investment during that timeframe.... (cough, inflation, cough).

bobbyw8469 08-24-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2dueces (Post 2011200)
Card sold in 2018 for $400K. That’s what I call a good investment. 10x in just 2 years. Congratulations to the consignor.

The consignor was VegasDave....a POS sports tout who rips off Gambling degenerates. That is how he was able to buy it in the first place. By ripping people off.

MikeGarcia 08-25-2020 07:43 AM

Irs ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2011460)
The consignor was VegasDave....a POS sports tout who rips off Gambling degenerates. That is how he was able to buy it in the first place. By ripping people off.

..how long did he own it ? Does the IRS care if he's just selling an old baseball card from his personal collection , or is he selling an asset at more than he paid for it .......is there such a thing as ''unintentional , accidental, surprise !! 'profit ?

..?

bobbyw8469 08-25-2020 07:54 AM

I think he owned it around 3-4 years.

moeson 08-25-2020 08:58 AM

More on the Trout seller

https://nypost.com/2020/08/25/the-he...out-card-sale/

ullmandds 08-25-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeson (Post 2011643)

Shocking...another "crook" exploiting the hobby...and making headlines.

swarmee 08-25-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2011632)
..how long did he own it ? Does the IRS care if he's just selling an old baseball card from his personal collection , or is he selling an asset at more than he paid for it .......is there such a thing as ''unintentional , accidental, surprise !! 'profit ?

..?

We're having some fun threads on Blowout because people don't realize they're supposed to pay Federal taxes on cards like all the thousand dollar Prizm basketball cards. Will be very interesting to see if the IRS ever gets involved in the sports card market.
They might be able to close the budget deficit next year... ;-)

Stampsfan 08-26-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeson (Post 2011643)

Wow. He sounds like quite a humble man.
Ugh.

JeremyW 08-26-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2011646)
We're having some fun threads on Blowout because people don't realize they're supposed to pay Federal taxes on cards like all the thousand dollar Prizm basketball cards. Will be very interesting to see if the IRS ever gets involved in the sports card market.
They might be able to close the budget deficit next year... ;-)

Speaking of taxes, I bet the individual states in the U.S. are amazed at the amount of money Ebay is sending them in sales taxes collected.

bobbyw8469 08-26-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 2011985)
Wow. He sounds like quite a humble man.
Ugh.

He's a turd. And that's putting it mildly.

ls7plus 08-26-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 2011168)
Disagree. Kendrick has been offered and turned down 10 million for his Wagner. That is just as good as Trout selling at auction. There is nothing saying that if Ken decided to sell, that it wouldn't go for more. I agree that any of the PSA 10 Mantles would sell for more as well as the best BN Ruth. Even that PSA 5MC Wagner is worth more than the Trout. You point to a sale from 4 years ago while the Trout sold for 400k 2 years ago. The jumbo Wagner is gone up a lot in 4 years considering the PSA 2 that sold last year for almost double what it sold for a few years earlier. All premium cards have gone way up recently, not just this Trout.

Very nicely stated. There is little question that a number of cards out there would sell for more than the Trout being discussed, including the PSA 4 Baltimore News Ruth, the three (? Haven't check the pop reports lately) PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantles, and the Wagner referenced above. And IMHO, the vintage cards will be going up, not down, over the long-term. I don't believe that will be the case for Trout over a decade or so.

Best wishes,

Larry