Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Satchel Paige (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286308)

AstroJake09 07-20-2020 10:54 AM

Satchel Paige

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I wanted to get opinions on this Satchel Paige auto. To me it looks spot on, with a nice inscription. Curious to see what others think.

chalupacollects 07-21-2020 08:24 AM

Looks like someone traced over it unfortunately...

tazdmb 07-21-2020 08:31 AM

I think it was Satchel that traced over his signature, as pen was dying. Same pen used for both, it appears.

daves_resale_shop 07-21-2020 08:46 AM

Satch

Thats satch’s sig../ definitely looks like his pen ran out of ink and he restarted

Scott Garner 07-21-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 2001112)
Thats satch’s sig../ definitely looks like his pen ran out of ink and he restarted

Agreed!

AstroJake09 07-21-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2001272)
Agreed!

Do pen autographs like this typically fade over time or should this last and stay fairly sharp as it is now? I don't want to buy something that will fade or dissapear in 30-50 years. Even though I'm in college now, I'd like to hand things like this off to my future kids or the next generation so that others can preserve it and experience the legend of Satchel Paige.

Thanks!

Duluth Eskimo 07-21-2020 09:01 PM

It’s authentic

etsmith 07-22-2020 04:26 AM

Pen signatures on matte paper don't really fade much as a rule.

Jim65 07-22-2020 04:33 AM

How much does it affect value that the autograph was rewritten like that?

AstroJake09 07-22-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2001346)
It’s authentic

As everyone thinks this is authentic... what year do you think it could be? Possibly signed in 1949 or 1950? The individual who requested the autograph says in their note, "Hope you will have another good year like last year." Satch's best years in the majors were 1948 and 1949, so if they are telling him to "have another" good season, it makes me believe it would be around that time. Also, I have an opportunuty to snag it for $100, is that a good deal? Thanks for all the responses!

AstroJake09 07-22-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2001415)
How much does it affect value that the autograph was rewritten like that?

Double signed... double the auto, double the price! :D

daves_resale_shop 07-22-2020 08:19 AM

Satch

I think its a good buy at that price, but for me appeal is everything. If its an item for my personal collection i’m usually inclined to be patient and a bit more generous for the right one...

Love your motivation. There is a lot of history behind these items, and its important to pass that down.

Happy collecting!

todeen 07-22-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 2001463)
I think its a good buy at that price, but for me appeal is everything. If its an item for my personal collection i’m usually inclined to be patient and a bit more generous for the right one...

Love your motivation. There is a lot of history behind these items, and its important to pass that down.

Happy collecting!

+1 about appeal

The double sig would bother me to look at and then I would end up reselling it. But then the issue as a seller is finding a buyer who can stand to look at the double sig.

I bought a Hornsby cut auto and someone had erased autos around Hornsby (it was from a team signed sheet). Couldn't see that in pics online (I also didn't ask enough questions). I kept it cuz I wasn't sure how I would feel about it later. Well, it bothered me so much that I sold it a few years later for a Bill McKechnie to add to my Reds collection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scott Garner 07-22-2020 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 2001463)

Happy collecting!

I also agree with Dave and Tim on this.

FWIW, aside from the question of price, I have always subscribed to the idea that you always would do well to buy quality because not only will you enjoy it more now, but it will offer a better exit strategy should you ever need to sell it. ;)

Here is one Satchel Paige autograph that I will never regret adding to my collection.

Klrdds 07-22-2020 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Garner;2001548]I also agree with Dave and Tim on this.

FWIW, aside from the question of price, I have always subscribed to the idea that you always would do well to buy quality because not only will you enjoy it more now, but it will offer a better exit strategy should you ever need to sell it. ;)

This has been my philosophy for over 40 years beginning in high school when I started collecting . Quality was always #1 , especially on the common autographs .

daves_resale_shop 07-22-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2001548)
I also agree with Dave and Tim on this.

Here is one Satchel Paige autograph that I will never regret adding to my collection.

Gorgeous Satch!

Klrdds 07-23-2020 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my favorite Satchel Paige autograph . A deed from 1950. I had 14 Paige autographs at one time but have saved this and a few others. I hope this helps date your autograph.

Michael B 07-23-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 2002071)
Here's my favorite Satchel Paige autograph . A deed from 1950. I had 14 Paige autographs at one time but have saved this and a few others. I hope this helps date your autograph.

FYI - that is a mortgage. A deed of trust is a three party document between the borrower, lender and trustees. If the property went into default the trustees, usually attorneys, would be tasked with doing all the court work to facilitate the foreclosure. I see them every day.