Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thinking of downsizing. Would you do this? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=277502)

darkhorse9 12-30-2019 07:40 AM

Thinking of downsizing. Would you do this?

I have a substantial collection of complete sets. A mostly full run of Topps and Bowman sets (save for 52 High Numbers and the 1949 Bowman set)

They are all complete and in VG-VGEX condition or better (some a bit less but stars are all in good shape). My 51 Bowman Mantle and Mays are both PSA 1

Here's my dilemma.I'm concerned that once I'm gone my family will have a difficult time selling the sets since they know nothing about baseball cards. So I'm think of making it easier for them by selling all my sets and getting PSA graded key cards from those sets instead. Those would be easier to liquidate for them.

So, here's an example of what might happen. Tell me if you would do this.

I could likely sell all of my Bowman sets and clear maybe $20,000. Sticking with a plan of Bowman for Bowman I would try and buy:

1948 Berra PSA 6
1948 Musial PSA 6
1950 Williams PSA 6
1951 Mantle PSA 4
1951 Mays PSA 4
1953 Reese PSA 7
1954 Williams #66 PSA 7

I would likely still have a few dollars remaining to either upgrade one or two of these or pick up a couple other key cards.

Are there any cards I'm missing? Would you even do something like this?

swarmee 12-30-2019 10:00 AM

I would not continue to prop up the PSA card market. Why not just invest it? Or leave instructions with your complete sets on how to sell them properly (and give to executor) using an auctionhouse like REA or Heritage?

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 12-30-2019 10:09 AM

Your plan makes sense, and it might be easier for your family to liquidate the individual graded cards instead of the sets. However, if you just instruct them to consign with your favorite auction house and let the AH do the work, then sets or individual cards may not make too much of a difference.

Another bonus of selling your sets and buying some grades cards is that it gives YOU another way to enjoy the hobby. I assume you’ve enjoyed the process of building the sets, so you’ll likely enjoy “shopping” for these blue chip cards.

As far as the Bowman cards go, I would add a 1949 or 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson to the list. I believe his appeal and collectibility will endure. Also, I’ve also thought the 1952 Bowman Musial was special both because of its classic image and the fact that Topps didn’t include him. So that’s the only Musial card available that year.

Tomi 12-30-2019 11:11 AM

Nothing wrong with just selling and holding on to the money. I would hate to leave people my collection when they don't know the first thing about the hobby. You are never guaranteed a profit with the cards you mentioned especially with what's going on with TPG's right now. At least you can maximize the money you would make now since you know the hobby and they don't.

rats60 12-30-2019 12:21 PM

I have done something similar, but the only Bowman card that I replaced them with was a 51 Mantle as well as a 49 Leaf Jackie Robinson. I don't see many of those cards having much upside. Maybe the 48 Musial or 51 Mays. However, the fewer cards and higher the value will be easier to sell. Just let them know the AH to take them to when they want to sell.

buymycards 12-30-2019 12:43 PM

$20,000

I would give them the $20k now. Why wait until you die?

Vintagevault13 12-30-2019 12:48 PM

I have thought about doing the same, although I don’t have anywhere close to the sets that the OP has (all of mine are from the 70’s). I know it is impossible to predict, but do you think that sets will continue to increase in value or will they decline as future collectors shift to stars and more modern cards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toppcat 12-31-2019 04:43 AM

1952 Topps Jackie Robinson's are what I would buy.

campyfan39 12-31-2019 08:14 PM

I hope OP is not facing a health crisis that made him think of this. If so, prayers brother.
I am 46 but have had health issues but am now doing very well thankfully. I have three teenage sons and I have have written stories about certain cards that I want them to keep and pass down to their children and why. The rest I am fine with whatever they do with.
If anything as I age I may sell them all and spend the money helping them or doing fun things with them.
JMO but I would not sell all I had and invest the money into more cards. Seems like defeating the purpose in some ways. Good luck and good health to you OP.

samosa4u 01-01-2020 10:34 AM

I like your plan, Dark Horse!

The only two cards I agree with on your list are the rookies of Mays and Mantle. Try to buy examples that are at least EX-plus. The others are just not worth it, in my opinion.

Mark70Z 01-01-2020 10:55 AM

If you sell some or all the sets and are concerned with your family being able to sell the sets then why not sell and retain the money instead of buying more cards? Makes sense to me, but may not be looking at the whole picture.