Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OMG - The Hits Just Keep Rolling - some good Mojo (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271620)

Rhotchkiss 07-24-2019 08:58 AM

OMG - The Hits Just Keep Rolling - some good Mojo

Initially, I was very bummed I would not make the national. But then Heritage came out with part 1 of the Hall collection, and my appetite was satiated. But then, BAM:

Memory Lane starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

And REA starts in a few days. Goldin is currently running an auction, as is Heritage (with more awesome stuff), and soon Sterling and LOTG open up. The hits just keep rolling -- there are no dog days of summer in card collecting

I will not be at the national this year. And, I have sworn off PWCC. But there is tons to navigate even with these two avenues closed. Seems that card collecting is strong as ever, which I am fine with - indeed happy about - and plenty of outlets to find them.

So as the national approaches and all these auctions start, especially with all this drama and scandal going on and plugging up the message boards, I wanted to drop a line to say:

I love Cards!!

Anyone else -- good summer vibes sought on this thread

BeanTown 07-24-2019 09:02 AM

Amen to that! There are some amazing items that have been recently auctioned or are coming up on the auction block. Time to shift the percentage of my investments to more of the collectble side!

1952boyntoncollector 07-24-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1902015)
Initially, I was very bummed I would not make the national. But then Heritage came out with part 1 of the Hall collection, and my appetite was satiated. But then, BAM:

Memory Land starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

And REA starts in a few days. Goldin is currently running an auction, as is Heritage (with more awesome stuff), and soon Sterling and LOTG open up. The hits just keep rolling -- there are no dog days of summer in card collecting

I will not be at the national this year. And, I have sworn off PWCC. But there is tons to navigate even with these two avenues closed. Seems that card collecting is strong as ever, which I am fine with - indeed happy about - and plenty of outlets to find them.

So as the national approaches and all these auctions start, especially with all this drama and scandal going on and plugging up the message boards, I wanted to drop a line to say:

I love Cards!!

sounds like some PWCC cards are making their way to other auctions....its not like PWCC doesnt have nice cards..

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2019 09:08 AM

Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken. Not directed at Ryan, just a general observation.

MULLINS5 07-24-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1902019)
Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken.

Agree. Confirmed not only with the great work at Blowout, but also Joe Orlando's statement he released in this month's SMR.

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1902021)
Agree. Confirmed not only with the great work at Blowout, but also Joe Orlando's statement he released in this month's SMR.

Today, I'm the president and CEO of PSA's parent company and I don't agree with every card, autograph or bat grade issued ... and that's OK. As a collector, I don't have to. Why? Because I don't have to buy it. We have choices, which is part of what makes collecting so much fun. As an individual, I am entitled to an opinion too and it's OK if my personal standard differs from a third-party service. Their job isn't to confirm my opinion; it's to render their own.

Like most other industries, ours contains a fraction of people who choose to do nothing more than complain about how third-party systems are imperfect, instead of offering feasible or logical ways of making it better. Their expectation of human-based opinion services is simply unattainable. There are realities and limitations to what any third-party service can do.

If it were up to them, there would be no umpires in baseball either, because these men don't get every ball and strike call correct. Card and coin graders, like umpires, must make decisions repeatedly in a relatively short period of time. They do the best job they can, but like all people, they are not perfect. They can only judge what they see in front of them and interpret what their eyes are observing. Grading is not conducted in a science lab. It is simply humans looking at collectibles.

The train left the station a long time ago. You can choose to get on board and take the ride, which can occasionally get bumpy along the way, or get left behind with delusions that somehow returning to the Wild West of the 1980s is better than what collectors have today. If you prefer to collect raw cards, that's OK. There are many ways to enjoy our wonderful hobby.

In the meantime, the beat goes on. After 20 years at the company and a lifetime in this hobby, there are a few things I know. There will always be challenges that our hobby will have to face and, unfortunately, there will also be those who choose to spread fear and ignorance. For those of us who love the hobby, there will always be opportunities to improve it by engaging in civil discourse.

More importantly, third-party authentication and grading is here to stay. It makes the hobby better, even though no system will ever be perfect.

Never get cheated,

Rhotchkiss 07-24-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1902019)
Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken. Not directed at Ryan, just a general observation.

I agree. I never thought that. And I was very aware before all this that many cards have been touched and sit in flips. I am avoiding PWCC bc I don’t like them, not bc I think it ensures I get untouched cards.

Good mojo people!

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1902025)
I agree. I never thought that. And I was very aware before all this that many cards have been touched and sit in flips. I am avoiding PWCC bc I don’t like them, not bc I think it ensures I get untouched cards.

Good mojo people!

Be careful out there. :cool:

wondo 07-24-2019 09:22 AM

Any day that we get to play with old cardboard with old baseball players on it is a good day!

MULLINS5 07-24-2019 09:23 AM

That statement is worthy of it's own thread. I'll let someone else do the honors if they so choose.

RedsFan1941 07-24-2019 10:21 AM

it’s like he’s trolling the hobby with that last sentence.

Leon 07-24-2019 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1902042)
it’s like he’s trolling the hobby with that last sentence.

Maybe, but it's true! .... (double trolling :))
I was recently excited about picking up that low grade, common red Cobby. The hobby can still be fun. We just have to be a bit more careful.
And what's a thread without a card? It is probably not restored or conserved. If it is trimmed or altered (I don't think it is), I don't care. :)

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-24-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1902024)
Today, I'm the president and CEO of PSA's parent company and I don't agree with every card, autograph or bat grade issued ... and that's OK. As a collector, I don't have to. Why? Because I don't have to buy it. We have choices, which is part of what makes collecting so much fun. As an individual, I am entitled to an opinion too and it's OK if my personal standard differs from a third-party service. Their job isn't to confirm my opinion; it's to render their own.

Like most other industries, ours contains a fraction of people who choose to do nothing more than complain about how third-party systems are imperfect, instead of offering feasible or logical ways of making it better. Their expectation of human-based opinion services is simply unattainable. There are realities and limitations to what any third-party service can do.

If it were up to them, there would be no umpires in baseball either, because these men don't get every ball and strike call correct. Card and coin graders, like umpires, must make decisions repeatedly in a relatively short period of time. They do the best job they can, but like all people, they are not perfect. They can only judge what they see in front of them and interpret what their eyes are observing. Grading is not conducted in a science lab. It is simply humans looking at collectibles.

The train left the station a long time ago. You can choose to get on board and take the ride, which can occasionally get bumpy along the way, or get left behind with delusions that somehow returning to the Wild West of the 1980s is better than what collectors have today. If you prefer to collect raw cards, that's OK. There are many ways to enjoy our wonderful hobby.

In the meantime, the beat goes on. After 20 years at the company and a lifetime in this hobby, there are a few things I know. There will always be challenges that our hobby will have to face and, unfortunately, there will also be those who choose to spread fear and ignorance. For those of us who love the hobby, there will always be opportunities to improve it by engaging in civil discourse.

More importantly, third-party authentication and grading is here to stay. It makes the hobby better, even though no system will ever be perfect.

Never get cheated,

Ooooh goody, another meaningless statement. I LOVE these.

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2019 11:09 AM

The corporate culture and attitude, which took its direction from David Hall initially and then Joe, is in my opinion vile. Time to write another formulaic piece on another big dollar collector with stacks of altered cards, I think. That's who they cater to anyhow.

Johnny630 07-24-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1902048)

I’m explore Mr. Orlando to take a look before and after on the 144 Goudey Ruth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?p=14874068

Your experts graders are not experts, they’re Opinion Renders ...your Statement above confirms that’s all your company does, renders a Opinion, nothing more, nothing less...the link above proves they’re not experts, they’re amateurs with inaccurate opinions. Please cut Marketing them as experts. I now call them “Opinion Renders”. Their opinion is now worthless to me.

I Won’t be Cheated any further.

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2019 11:14 AM

Your expectation is unattainable. Stop spreading fear and ignorance.

pokerplyr80 07-24-2019 11:23 AM

It didn't take long for this thread to turn negative despite the OP's request for good vibes.

I thought about trying to make the national this year but it wasn't looking good with scheduling and I decided with all of these auctions running I would take the funds I might have spent on the trip and put them towards a card. Hopefully I can find the one I've been looking for.

ejharrington 07-24-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

I actually largely agree with what he says about the grade a card receives as being an opinion. It is, so long as the card is not manipulated/altered/conserved/restored/etc. However, what is disappointing is he does not acknowledge the mistakes made or, even more importantly, assure people who rely on his company to identify altered cards that they will take steps to improve in the future.

Johnny630 07-24-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1902060)
I actually largely agree with what he says about the grade a card receives as being an opinion. It is, so long as the card is not manipulated/altered/conserved/restored/etc. However, what is disappointing is he does not acknowledge the mistakes made or, even more importantly, assure people who rely on his company to identify altered cards that they will take steps to improve in the future.

Well said sir !!!

MVSNYC 07-24-2019 11:35 AM

Ryan, great original post. I'm excited too.

x2drich2000 07-24-2019 11:42 AM

Now if all the auction houses would just put out a preview so everyone didn't overspend on things they didn't really need. :D

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-24-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1902060)

Sorry, I've made that point so often I just assume that's what everybody sees regardless of what words I use. Pretty much exactly how I feel, and without addressing CONCRETE, OBJECTIVE errors his company has made I'm not really interested in his blather about the subjective differences people may have on grades received.

perezfan 07-24-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1902052)
I’m explore Mr. Orlando to take a look before and after on the 144 Goudey Ruth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?p=14874068

Your experts graders are not experts, they’re Opinion Renders ...your Statement above confirms that’s all your company does, renders a Opinion, nothing more, nothing less...the link above proves they’re not experts, they’re amateurs with inaccurate opinions. Please cut Marketing them as experts. I now call them “Opinion Renders”. Their opinion is now worthless to me.

I Won’t be Cheated any further.

How could this Babe Ruth Goudey abomination not be commented on further? :eek:

That may be the worst and most amateurish attempt at concealing an erasure mark that I have ever seen. It is a glaringly horrific cover-up, stands out like a sore thumb, and the fact that PSA missed it is very hard to believe.

I am so sick of hearing how talented and sophisticated the fraudsters and card doctors have become... and that it is nearly impossible for PSA to detect their advanced methods. That is such BS.... find a simple ruler and spend more than 5 seconds on the damned card, or stop giving favorable treatment to your partners in crime. Just pick which one applies (or both!)

It will be quite interesting to see what the FBI uncovers in upcoming weeks. I am believing less and less in the ineptitude/incompetence theory... there has to be more. And the timing of Orlando's most recent meaningless letter is strikingly reminiscent of the "Conservation Letter" Huigens released just before the sh*t hit the fan.

ValKehl 07-24-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Scott, I believe that the corporate term for Orlando's statement is "damage-control statement."

Johnny630 07-24-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1902078)
How could this Babe Ruth Goudey abomination not be commented on further? :eek:

That is the worst and most amateurish attempt at concealing an erasure mark that I have ever seen. It is a glaringly horrific cover-up, stands out like a sore thumb, and the fact that PSA missed it is very hard to believe.

I am so sick of hearing how talented and sophisticated the fraudsters and card doctors have become... and that it is nearly impossible for PSA to detect their advanced methods. That is complete BS... spend more than 5 seconds on the damned card, or stop giving favorable treatment to your partners in crime!

It will be quite interesting to see what the FBI uncovers in upcoming weeks. I am believing less and less in the ineptitude/incompetence theory... there has to be more. And the timing of Orlando's idiotic letter is strikingly reminiscent of the "Conservation Letter" Huigens released just before the sh*t hit the fan.

Yes 100% agree this was the worst card I’ve seen so far !!!
Total Disgrace along with his shameful comments this morning...
His arrogance in his Ironclad Defense of Opinion Only Services is a strait up Up Yours move along this will pass to the Industry.

wondo 07-24-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1902015)

Memory Land starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

I love Cards!!

Don't forget a good mix of stuff at Huggins & Scott starting Friday!

Rhotchkiss 07-24-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1902071)
Now if all the auction houses would just put out a preview so everyone didn't overspend on things they didn't really need. :D

Amen brother!!

And, if you want to talk about PSA or PWCC, fine - just please do it on another thread. It would be nice to have one F-ing thread that wasn't about PSA and PWCC.

perezfan 07-24-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1902108)
Amen brother!!

And, if you want to talk about PSA or PWCC, fine - just please do it on another thread. It would be nice to have one F-ing thread that wasn't about PSA and PWCC.

Fair enough... and sorry that I was one of the violators on this particular thread.

There is indeed a ton of exciting activity right around the corner, and most of it is great legitimate merchandise. :)

Ronnie73 07-24-2019 04:24 PM

I agree that there's no shortage of great cards in the up coming auctions. Before you know it, David Hall Part 2 will be on the auction block also. I won't be going to the National this year either and was feeling down about it also but as it gets closer, I really don't feel as bad. Not sure why. Lets keep the positive vibe going.

Bicem 07-25-2019 09:21 PM

Don't forget about photos, RMY open too and some great ones.

Already reserved time tomorrow morning to go through REA.

Topnotchsy 07-25-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1902769)

Can we get a petition to make the day the auction opens a holiday, so everyone can browse without worrying about work. Seems like a simple way to make the world a better place :)

Exhibitman 07-26-2019 07:01 AM

We interrupt this thread for a moment of pure baseball bliss:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...ap%20Paige.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xq3hEMUeBGQ

Arazi4442 07-26-2019 01:05 PM

REA is open. :D

pawpawdiv9 07-26-2019 01:07 PM

REA & Huggins--both the same day.
Its a good day in the neighborhood.
REA has got me so thrilled and overjoyed with excitement.

ahumes13 07-26-2019 01:11 PM

So many incredible cards!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1902948)
REA & Huggins--both the same day.
Its a good day in the neighborhood.
REA has got me so thrilled and overjoyed with excitement.

wondo 07-28-2019 06:28 PM

Too many cards; not enough dollars!!! The hobby is fun; non illegitimi carborundum.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-28-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1902769)

We have our first ever photography auction coming up in a couple weeks too!

Bicem 07-28-2019 08:52 PM

Oh cool, looking forward to seeing it.

Aj-hman 07-28-2019 09:36 PM

Good Sumer Vibes here in WA State. Sun finally, without the rain! Cruised the 59 Fleetwood early this morning. Later hit the batting cage at the neghibors with my son.-pun intended. Over all a stellar day. Then.... got a note from a net54 member who has been looking for some cards for me and he is thinking about a price. I have been wanting these cards for 17 years could not have been a much better day!

Iree Iree