Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Really Dumb Questions for Net54 Experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267531)

frankbmd 04-01-2019 03:01 PM

Really Dumb Questions for Net54 Experts

Have you been ashamed to ask a really dumb question on the forum for fear of being called an idiot? If you can answer a really dumb question, do you hesitate because you do not consider yourself an expert.

Good news, You now have a thread to unabashedly ask a stupid question without fear of retribution or to flaunt your knowledge and strut your stuff.

Name calling such as imbecile, moron, anencephalic and the like are strictly prohibited. Heaping warranted or unwarranted praise and adulation of an expert is strongly suggested and encouraged.

Number questions in sequence as well as answers with a number that matches the question to help those who cannot match answers with questions to follow this thread and learn.

Question #1

Nineteenth century cards, such as OJs, frequently appear quite faded with barely perceptible images. One could presume that this is a result of the aging process. I doubt that the faded images were taken in a smoke filled studio, but I guess that's possible.;)

So whatever the cause of their apparent degradation in over 100 years, their future seems uncertain.

In another 100 years will the images on these cards vanish completely and the OJs will all become virtually identical blank rectangles?

conor912 04-01-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867003)
Have you been ashamed to ask a really dumb question on the forum for fear of being called an idiot? If you can answer a really dumb question, do you hesitate because you do not consider yourself an expert.

Good news, You now have a thread to unabashedly ask a stupid question without fear of retribution or to flaunt your knowledge and strut your stuff.

Name calling such as imbecile, moron, anencephalic and the like are strictly prohibited. Heaping warranted or unwarranted praise and adulation of an expert is strongly suggested and encouraged.

Number questions in sequence as well as answers with a number that matches the question to help those who cannot match answers with questions to follow this thread and learn.

Question #1

Nineteenth century cards, such as OJs, frequently appear quite faded with barely perceptible images. One could presume that this is a result of the aging process. I doubt that the faded images were taken in a smoke filled studio, but I guess that's possible.;)

So whatever the cause of their apparent degradation in over 100 years, their future seems uncertain.

In another 100 years will the images on these cards vanish completely and the OJs will all become virtually identical blank rectangles?

A #1: Yes. Good thing we have those nice slabs to tell us who is (or, in the future, was, pictured on the card). Just another hobby solid done by your friendly local TPG.

ALBB 04-01-2019 03:18 PM

OJ's

I think a lot of that is just normal staining from the orange juice used way back then. The fruit was not refrigerated and tended to cause fading of the image of the players on OJ cards

frankbmd 04-01-2019 03:24 PM

I've never used orange juice to "soak" a card and now i know why. Thanks.

ramram 04-01-2019 03:39 PM

Ok, my question I’ve been afraid to ask -

Just what the heck does anencephalic mean?

Rob M

frankbmd 04-01-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1867018)
Ok, my question I’ve been afraid to ask -

Just what the heck does anencephalic mean?

Rob M

I’ll take that one, Rob. Anencephaly is a congenital anomaly in which an infant is born without a full brain, skull or scalp. Fortunately it is quite rare, except in ..................
..................(content redacted)

Peter_Spaeth 04-01-2019 04:41 PM

Which is better, PSA or SGC? and

Which cards are the best investments?

LuckyLarry 04-01-2019 04:42 PM

what happens if I am on the PayPal website to send money to someone, and I accidentally type in the wrong email address then hit send?

Larry

CobbSpikedMe 04-01-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1867035)
what happens if I am on the PayPal website to send money to someone, and I accidentally type in the wrong email address then hit send?

Larry

Then someone else gets lucky Larry. :D

bigfish 04-01-2019 06:04 PM

Thank you for posting this

For the n172 experts....N172 player John Reilly. How did he earn the nickname -
Long John Reilly.

A. He hit the long ball?
B. He was a tall dude?
C. He had quite the stretch at first base.
D. Other

Thanks in advance.

Forever Young 04-01-2019 06:27 PM

Ogre

https://youtu.be/JT0zjorR68A

ramram 04-01-2019 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1867056)
For the n172 experts....N172 player John Reilly. How did he earn the nickname -
Long John Reilly.

A. He hit the long ball?
B. He was a tall dude?
C. He had quite the stretch at first base.
D. Other

Thanks in advance.

Answer is "B" as shown below.

Rob M

Attachment 349156

lowpopper 04-01-2019 07:16 PM

WHO STOLE THE MANTLE ROOKIE AT THE 2o18 NATIONAL?

Bram99 04-01-2019 07:46 PM

Mantle Rookie at 2028 National

I think in fact it was his second year card

mantlefan 04-01-2019 07:57 PM

Question

Dr. Frank. I always wanted to know, but I was afraid to ask:

Who's on first?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Frank

hcv123 04-01-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1867085)
Dr. Frank. I always wanted to know, but I was afraid to ask:

Who's on first?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Frank

Yes he is!

Jerry G 04-01-2019 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is proof.

h2oya311 04-01-2019 11:21 PM

Nice one Jerry! Hopefully the announcers took advantage of that opportunity...

Steve D 04-01-2019 11:37 PM

After seeing that Hu on First photo, I looked on baseball-reference.com

There have been three Watt's in the major leagues.

Allie Watt played for the 1920 Senators, and hit one double.
Frank Watt played for the 1931 Phillies, and hit two doubles.
Eddie Watt played for the 1966 Orioles, and hit one double.

So, there have been at least four instances where Watt was on Second.

Steve

irishdenny 04-02-2019 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867030)
I’ll take that one, Rob. Anencephaly is a congenital anomaly in which an infant is born without a full brain, skull or scalp. Fortunately it is quite rare, except in ..................
..................(content redacted)

Yeah!
But is iT Kintagious?

Fballguy 04-02-2019 08:17 AM

I'm trying to upgrade a set I've had for a while and am driving myself a little nuts trying to determine which cards are upgrades and which are not...so my question:

What is more desirable, a card with four sharp corners but a barely perceptible half inch hairline crease or a card with no crease but slight touches on the corners?

Thanks in advance.

Fballguy 04-02-2019 08:19 AM

What the heck...while I'm at it:

A card with perfect centering but slight corner wear, or slightly off center with sharp corners?

I can keep this up all day. I've got others... ;)

frankbmd 04-02-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1867166)
I'm trying to upgrade a set I've had for a while and am driving myself a little nuts trying to determine which cards are upgrades and which are not...so my question:

What is more desirable, a card with four sharp corners but a barely perceptible half inch hairline crease or a card with no crease but slight touches on the corners?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1867167)
What the heck...while I'm at it:

A card with perfect centering but slight corner wear, or slightly off center with sharp corners?

I can keep this up all day. I've got others... ;)

An upgrade should be readily apparent to a typical sousaphone player. If not, it is merely an alternative, not an upgrade.

In other words, is CT an upgrade from TX, or is TX an upgrade from CT? The answer depends on other factors. Your answer may differ from mine.

However nearly all would consider a condo on a tropical island an upgrade from a condo in Burkina Faso. That’s why there are very few sousaphone players in Burkina Faso.

Hope this helps.;)

T206.org 04-02-2019 08:47 AM

How many chucks does it take a woodchuck to chuck a full 2x4?

frankbmd 04-02-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206.org (Post 1867175)
How many chucks does it take a woodchuck to chuck a full 2x4?

Assumes a woodchuck could chuck wood

TUM301 04-02-2019 10:20 AM

Where do babies come from ?

jchcollins 04-02-2019 11:10 AM

Why didn't Topps stockpile NOS inventory of their vintage sets? As about a 10 year-old (circa 1987) when I first found out about "old" cards, I just naturally assumed they did this - so I wrote a letter to Topps saying please I just started collecting, could you send me examples of say...some 1953 cards? I was flabbergasted when they wrote me back and instead of sending cards they provided me with a list of dealers who could sell me the cards that I asked about.

Sounds like a dumb question today, but wasn't to me in 1987. :p

timzcardz 04-02-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867003)
Have you been ashamed to ask a really dumb question on the forum for fear of being called an idiot? . . . . .

Name calling such as imbecile, moron, anencephalic and the like are strictly prohibited.

I will oblige buy not engaging in name calling, but WOW, THAT is a dumb question.

:D

clydepepper 04-02-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdenny (Post 1867131)
Yeah!
But is iT Kintagious?

Isn't it contagious?

Why do NSACAR races go counter-clockwise (left turn), while the rest of us learn that it's okay to turn right on red?

Most folks are right-handed, which makes them right-eye dominant, which should make right turns easier.

...and while we're venturing into the NASCAR realm, why are there 43 cars in each race?

clydepepper 04-02-2019 12:08 PM

Why do Dairy Cows like Chikin so much?

hcv123 04-02-2019 01:37 PM

Alright I'll jump in

If there is one mouse and 2 or more mice

why is there 1 blouse, but NOT 2 or more blice?

Fballguy 04-02-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867173)
An upgrade should be readily apparent to a typical sousaphone player. If not, it is merely an alternative, not an upgrade.

In other words, is CT an upgrade from TX, or is TX an upgrade from CT? The answer depends on other factors. Your answer may differ from mine.

However nearly all would consider a condo on a tropical island an upgrade from a condo in Burkina Faso. That’s why there are very few sousaphone players in Burkina Faso.

Hope this helps.;)

That helps, thanks. Sousaphone lessons are a bucket list item for my retirement years, so I will definitely NOT be moving to Burkina Faso. In the meantime...

Tropical Island > CT > TX

barrysloate 04-02-2019 05:16 PM

Why have there been several Pope Johns, several Pope Pauls, but not even a single Pope Ringo?

egri 04-02-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1867305)
Why have there been several Pope Johns, several Pope Pauls, but not even a single Pope Ringo?

There may not have been a Pope Ringo, but there have been several Pope Richards (though none with the last name Starkey) and even a few Pope Georges for good measure.

darwinbulldog 04-02-2019 08:01 PM

Can't beat the original. Anyone else like Pete best?

mattsey9 04-02-2019 08:13 PM

What the difference between type 1 and type 2 photos?

Arazi4442 04-02-2019 08:29 PM

In keeping with the OPs topic, I've got one that may be a stupid question.

Found a card on eBay that I've been looking for for some time. It's listed at about 1/10 of market value. Yes, it's a raw card and I would always assume it's a fake/reprint but would you have any more confidence if the seller is a "Top-Rated Seller" with over 5k feedback at 100%?!

Is something looks too good to be true, it's a lie, right?

PhillyFan1883 04-02-2019 09:39 PM

Cancel the transaction quickly and you will be reimbursed. I did this once and I think I received back within 48 hours.

chalupacollects 04-03-2019 06:59 AM

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

Arazi4442 04-03-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFan1883 (Post 1867361)
Cancel the transaction quickly and you will be reimbursed. I did this once and I think I received back within 48 hours.

I didn’t purchase the card and I probably won’t. Just asking if a gold seller with 5K feedback would make you feel more confident.

Yastrzemski Sports 04-03-2019 08:01 AM

What price guide can I buy to get the most accurate pricing on my cards?

polakoff 04-03-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1867035)

Larry

Real answer Larry -- if the email address is registered to someone (maybe you sent to johnsmith@gmail.com instead of johnsmith1@gmail.com for example), they'll get the payment, but you could file with PayPal buyer protection and get the money back, assuming you paid with goods and services.

If you send to a wrong email address that isn't registered with Paypal -- say, for example, johnsmith@gmai.com -- the money will come out of your account but the payment will be listed as Pending and Unclaimed. The email address you sent to receives an email letting them know they have money waiting. At any time that the money is Pending, you can cancel the payment.

In this case, it's not a real email address so no one will claim it, but in the evident it were a real address and they just weren't paypal members, they'd have the option to sign up for Paypal to claim the money, in which case, if they did, you could file with buyer protection just like noted above.

On a side note, I won't be in Jax this weekend, but hope to see you in May.

David

savedfrommyspokes 04-03-2019 10:10 AM

Thank you Frank for starting this thread.

For years I have wondered what happens to all of the Card Saver Is that cards are placed in for their submission to a TPG. Do the TPGs send them back with the newly graded cards, recycle/resell them, chuck them or what?

LuckyLarry 04-03-2019 10:48 AM

THX David!

megalimey 04-03-2019 12:42 PM

really stupid

how many stupid questions do you have to ask before people
think your "really stupid"

jchcollins 04-03-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1867474)

It's "you're" :p #Stupid. :):eek:

clydepepper 04-03-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1867474)

Just that one...evidently.

frankbmd 04-03-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1867436)
Thank you Frank for starting this thread.

For years I have wondered what happens to all of the Card Saver Is that cards are placed in for their submission to a TPG. Do the TPGs send them back with the newly graded cards, recycle/resell them, chuck them or what?

The used Card Savers are collected by Waste Management, who sells and ships them to China, where they are reprocessed and become new Card Savers, that are then shipped back to the states, where they are purchased by collectors, who ultimately use them to submit cards to TPGs for grading.

JollyElm 04-03-2019 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Card Savers...
Attachment 349346
...are made out of people!!!!

Leon 04-07-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1867412)
What price guide can I buy to get the most accurate pricing on my cards?

Use ebay advanced search. And to pay me please PM for details.