Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting to wonder. . . . . (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218461)

Snapolit1 02-21-2016 03:55 PM

Starting to wonder. . . . .

Seems like we are starting to get a lot of the same messages. "Hey, here are some cards I might buy. . . .what do you guys think of this Mantle. . . .do you think it's real . . ."

Wondering if people are just using the educated folks on this board to vet counterfeits before they try to sell them on eBay, etc.

People appear out of nowhere with a handful of counterfeit cards. They always know nothing whatsoever about them, and are just looking for some helpful suggestions.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid person.

glynparson 02-21-2016 04:25 PM

I have thought of it also

I think sometimes that is it and sometimes it is just novice collectors.

D.P.Johnson 02-21-2016 04:27 PM

Yeah, I agree. It seems a little odd...

Leon 02-21-2016 04:55 PM

I am quite sure it's a combination of things mentioned.

irv 02-21-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1506830)
I think sometimes that is it and sometimes it is just novice collectors.

I am new here and have asked a lot of questions, but none have been about cards or future card purchases,,,but that may happen soon? LOL :D

In all seriousness, and it's my personal take, I believe both may be the case, but like some of these new guys, I never knew about these sites until I started hearing/reading about the ups in the baseball card market.

I forget where now that I read/heard it, but it was an article about the recent, over a half million dollar Mantle sale that got me re-interested.

I had played with this market, purchased some cards, went to some shows etc back over 20 yrs ago when I received my 52 Topps, but then the market went flat, shows dried up, shops dried up, etc, etc, etc. It has only been now, since I joined, that my interest has come back.

glynparson 02-21-2016 05:01 PM

Irv

I never got a negative impression of you from your posts. You ask reasonable questions that project as an individual who is reentering the hobby. Welcome back despite some negatives cards can be a lot of fun also.

irv 02-21-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1506847)
I never got a negative impression of you from your posts. You ask reasonable questions that project as an individual who is reentering the hobby. Welcome back despite some negatives cards can be a lot of fun also.

Thanks, Glyn. I appreciated it! :)

53Browns 02-21-2016 07:34 PM

Great! And I'm the idiot that answered him...:(

Leon 02-22-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53Browns (Post 1506914)
Great! And I'm the idiot that answered him...:(

Nah, no one (in my book) is an idiot for trying to help. And nice post on the kudo's even if no one responds. I think it's good to point out folks who help or do good.. We hear a lot about the opposite...happy collecting.

JoeKerr 02-23-2016 02:29 PM

Hmm. It seems like my question on my first post sparked the original poster to post this thread, since i dont see any other threads like this any where.

Awesome.

Joe

JustinD 02-23-2016 02:34 PM

I like to give advice as much as I like to ask for it.

No one has learned by everyone ignoring them. I think it's good to assume the best until the worst is proven.

ls7plus 02-23-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1506847)

Ditto. If you're like me and a close friend collector of many years, the card connects you to the player and takes you back to the time--the history of the game you can hold right in your hands.

May your collecting primarily bring you great joy,

Larry