Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Greetings and a Question re Insurance Value on an item (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218397)

whackspacks 02-20-2016 02:55 PM

Greetings and a Question re Insurance Value on an item

Greetings all. I know this is a predominately vintage website, but this card was pulled for me in a group break last night and I was wondering if anyone can help give me an idea as to what I should have it insured for while being shipped to me? I am VERY excited to be the owner of this one as Hack's life story and career, though ultimately tragic, are fascinating.

I look forward to participating on here and showing vintage items I have inherited or picked up along the way. Thanks!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...psrgmjfqog.jpg

Leon 02-20-2016 03:39 PM

I don't know the value but whatever it is that might be a good amount to insure it for....and welcome to the fray!!

frankbmd 02-20-2016 04:22 PM

To collect on an insurance claim, you would need a third party appraisal or a sales receipt. If your only cost was the set break expense, in my opinion insuring it for shipping would be a waste of dough without a third party appraisal.

whackspacks 02-20-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1506485)
To collect on an insurance claim, you would need a third party appraisal or a sales receipt. If your only cost was the set break expense, in my opinion insuring it for shipping would be a waste of dough without a third party appraisal.

copy that. thanks for the advice

pokerplyr80 02-20-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Is this true? So if I buy a card privately and later want to sell it I can't insure it? I was under the impression if I pay for insurance the card is insured with or without an original receipt.

whackspacks 02-20-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1506501)
Is this true? So if I buy a card privately and later want to sell it I can't insure it? I was under the impression if I pay for insurance the card is insured with or without an original receipt.

I wondered that. It would possibly mean I've wasted money on insurance quite a few times on some vintage cards

frankbmd 02-20-2016 06:33 PM

Selling insurance is easy. Collecting on a claim can be difficult, particularly with antiques. I shipped some of my family's heirlooms last summer. No third party appraisal was available in northern WI that would have been acceptable to the post office. The items shipped were fragile (china made in 1910 ironically). I was told exactly what I said above. My valuation of the china would be worthless in the event of breakage.

I shipped the china without insurance as a result. It was well packed and arrived safely.

Prewar cards are antiques.;)

whackspacks 02-20-2016 08:23 PM

thanks again for the response and clarification

On another note I have yet to run across a signature of his this bold on a non-check.
The strokes are consistent with his signatures and not the one for the 'other' hack wilson who played, coached and signed ( I have seen examples of another who signed as hack wilson in the same era who coached and played? And signed as 'hack' (I may be wrong). Does anyone know which HA or other auction panini picked this up from? Is It consistent with his other signatures? Thanks again. Excited to have this piece.

irv 02-20-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Interesting!?!?

Thinking about sending some cards in for grading, so I assume the same rules apply, you need 3rd party verification in order to put a value/insurance price against it before shipping?

I am talking about my 52 Mantle and Mays cards.

obcbobd 02-22-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

So, if I send you a 33 Goudey Ruth in a trade, could I insure it, if I have the auction invoice from when I bought it?

frankbmd 02-22-2016 10:58 AM

I think that would work, but I would ask.

Which of the four did you have in mind? Do you need my address?:D