Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bad mistake by PSA? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218336)

Baseball Fan 02-19-2016 08:20 AM

Bad mistake by PSA?

Considering basketball great Karl Malone wasn't born until 1963. Is there another Karl Malone?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111909527879

grainsley 02-19-2016 08:29 AM

Not sure how they did that, but I think it is actor Karl Malden.

Klrdds 02-19-2016 08:29 AM

It is a check of Karl Malden , the actor . Another classic PSA screw up.... And people still have faith in them and want TPAs from them. A 3rd grader could tell it doesn't say Malone.

bn2cardz 02-19-2016 08:31 AM

I am not an autograph expert by any means, but it doesn't even look like, NBA player, Karl Malone's auto.

Baseball Fan 02-19-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainsley (Post 1505940)
Not sure how they did that, but I think it is actor Karl Malden.

Ah, that makes more sense.

bn2cardz 02-19-2016 09:41 AM

I made the seller aware and he took down the auction and replied to me:

Quote:

Oh my goodness. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! :)
At least the seller did the right thing and this purely lands on PSA/DNA and not just a seller trying to take advantage of that mistake.

RichardSimon 02-19-2016 11:16 AM

In the old days they used to call it a cursory examination, a sorta well known forensic used to do them.
Guess PSA did the same thing and this was the result.

earlywynnfan 02-19-2016 01:38 PM

Someone needs to post a screen shot of this so we can laugh at it forever!

Also, I don't think the seller gets much of a pass, he is blindly following the TPA and not using a single brain cell in listing this.

Michael B 02-19-2016 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is.

doug.goodman 02-19-2016 03:21 PM

I love this thread nearly as much as life itself.

The very existence of this item comments on the entire grading industry in so many ways, each of which make me giggle like a school girl.

Or maybe even a school boy...

Doug "If there was a god who cared about us, I would thank her" Goodman

Republicaninmass 02-19-2016 04:19 PM

its probably a ' Mechanical' error, the two names are probably side by side in the computer, Dara entry just clicked the wrong one.

Just like the honus/heinie Wagner t206 card

doug.goodman 02-20-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

It's probably a ' Mechanical' error, the two names are probably side by side in the computer, Data entry just clicked the wrong one.

Just like the honus/heinie Wagner t206 card
Malden and Malone COULD be next to each other alphabetically, although Candy Maldonado might complain.

Heinie & Honus actually are next to each other on the Retrosheet list of all time baseball players, and I'm too lazy to think of non-baseball Wagner's who might sneak in between them with first names that start with "Hi".

But, it's nice to know that they don't pay any more attention to Wagner t206 cards than they do to cancelled checks.

You can help them to make excuses if you choose, I prefer to laugh at their "expertise", and enjoy the fact that "data entry" has the final word on identity.

RichardSimon 02-20-2016 08:36 AM

Guess the quality control department is non-existent there too.

mighty bombjack 02-20-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1506335)
Malden and Malone COULD be next to each other alphabetically, although Candy Maldonado might complain.

Heinie & Honus actually are next to each other on the Retrosheet list of all time baseball players, and I'm too lazy to think of non-baseball Wagner's who might sneak in between them with first names that start with "Hi".

But, it's nice to know that they don't pay any more attention to Wagner t206 cards than they do to cancelled checks.

You can help them to make excuses if you choose, I prefer to laugh at their "expertise", and enjoy the fact that "data entry" has the final word on identity.

I can tell you that my father wanted a signed Honus Wagner baseball that was on offer at his LCS, but wanted a third party's opinion before purchasing. The dealer sent the ball to PSA/DNA and it passed and got a cert. When we typed the cert number into their database, it listed the item as a Billy Wagner signed baseball. We thought there might be some sort of shenanigans afoot, but when we contacted PSA/DNA, they apologized for the error and fixed it.

What a joke.

RichardSimon 02-21-2016 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty bombjack (Post 1506608)
I can tell you that my father wanted a signed Honus Wagner baseball that was on offer at his LCS, but wanted a third party's opinion before purchasing. The dealer sent the ball to PSA/DNA and it passed and got a cert. When we typed the cert number into their database, it listed the item as a Billy Wagner signed baseball. We thought there might be some sort of shenanigans afoot, but when we contacted PSA/DNA, they apologized for the error and fixed it.

What a joke.

Yup a joke. See post 13.

bbcardzman 02-21-2016 07:03 AM

This just proves how much time they take to examine cards for grading.
Apparently it's like any other job - quantity and not quality

HRBAKER 02-21-2016 07:52 AM

As long as it is the coin of the realm, and it is, stuff like this while hysterically bad will continue to not matter much.

Gary Dunaier 02-27-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1506128)
Dara entry just clicked the wrong one.

I once dated a girl named Dara Entry. We didn't click at all. :eek: