Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   PSA v the other guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217292)

1952boyntoncollector 01-29-2016 09:26 AM

PSA v the other guys

Im still waiting for a listing one bay that says:

1. PSA...not SGC or not BVG.

We are always told of a graded card not being a PSA ...where are the not SGC or BVGs?

itjclarke 01-29-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1497249)
Im still waiting for a listing one bay that says:

1. PSA...not SGC or not BVG.

We are always told of a graded card not being a PSA ...where are the not SGC or BVGs?

I always figured sellers were just including phrases like "like a PSA 5" and "not PSA" in order to pop up in more people's searches. I've never sold anything on ebay though, and don't know this is why it's done.

1952boyntoncollector 01-29-2016 12:29 PM

right the fact that need to put PSA for search terms for potential buyers..while if you have a PSA card you don't have to put 'not sgc' for potential buyers says something about the market demand for psa versus the others

sbfinley 01-29-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itjclarke (Post 1497344)
I always figured sellers were just including phrases like "like a PSA 5" and "not PSA" in order to pop up in more people's searches. I've never sold anything on ebay though, and don't know this is why it's done.

A couple of years ago I had an eBay listing removed because they considered it "keyboard spamming." It was a near set in which some cards were SGC graded while the majority were PSA. The eight or so I scanned were all PSA so eBay pulled it for SGC being in the listing title, even though I clearly stated in the description the SGC cards. Explained it to eBay and I relisted with refunded fees.

The OP I can't answer because I don't speak Dutch. I get the gist of it, which still doesn't make sense.

Peter_Spaeth 01-29-2016 06:44 PM

"Keyword" spamming you mean. People keyword spam using "PWCC" too, I have noticed, although PSA seems the most common. I think Jake is just saying people will spam their SGC cards by adding not PSA, but not the other way around. And he's right from what I have seen.

sbfinley 01-29-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1497512)
"Keyword" spamming you mean. People keyword spam using "PWCC" too, I have noticed, although PSA seems the most common. I think Jake is just saying people will spam their SGC cards by adding not PSA, but not the other way around. And he's right from what I have seen.

Yup, that. Fat fingers, Auto correct, or absent mindedness.

itjclarke 01-29-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1497512)

When I'm doing searches on eBay, I do notice that when the browser starts guessing where I'm going, they will usually stick a "PSA" in there. Meaning, I search for "T202" and it suggests "T202 in Cards" followed by "T202 PSA".

I've never, ever used "PSA" in any of my searches, so it's not making these suggestions based on my search history. I guess if I wanted more eyes on a listing, I may add the 3 letters eBay seems to suggest every time someone does a search. Maybe I'd even dare do so in the form of "not PSA"!!! :eek:... yeah yeah, we get it, PSA rules the world, commands the highest premiums upon resale, and could never go out of business.

Separate to the OP's comments, I've more often noticed lines like "SGC50 equal to PSA4". I don't pay attention to these tags, nor do I care at all to track them, but at least these one seem like a semi valid explanation as opposed to just pure search spam.

Peter_Spaeth 01-30-2016 10:44 AM

Ian, I think the "equal to" is probably just an attempt to get around the keyword spamming issue, and I'm not sure how ebay would handle it. I suspect they only enforce the rule anyhow if someone very insistently calls it to their attention.

itjclarke 01-30-2016 12:34 PM

Yeah, I figured as much Peter. At least they can be explained away as clarifying the TPG numbering differences, but I'm sure those are all very spammish as well.

Runscott 02-02-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1497770)
Ian, I think the "equal to" is probably just an attempt to get around the keyword spamming issue, and I'm not sure how ebay would handle it. I suspect they only enforce the rule anyhow if someone very insistently calls it to their attention.

Keyword spamming is not enforced at all. I have brought several very obvious examples to their attention and nothing was done.