Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cross over to SGC S74 Cobbs GAI? cracked from slabs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=199479)

jcmtiger 01-06-2015 02:28 PM

Cross over to SGC S74 Cobbs GAI? cracked from slabs

1 Attachment(s)
I'm to sell or trade these S74 Silks of Ty Cobb. Unfortunately when I had these graded GAI was the only company graded them. Is it worth crossing over to SGC for more money in a sale or trade?

Thanks Joe

Leon 01-06-2015 02:50 PM

If it were me I would not sell those in those holders. Whatever else you do (raw or other grader) is fine. Just not those holders. They can't help, I don't think. Just my 2.5 cents.

Fred 01-06-2015 02:56 PM

Leon,

They help the buyer. :p

jcmtiger 01-06-2015 03:56 PM

How do you crack out of these holders?

Joe

bobbyw8469 01-06-2015 06:15 PM

Get very well acquainted with a Dremmel and a flathead.

Touch'EmAll 01-06-2015 07:11 PM

yes, send to SGC

Years ago, I too had a couple silks in GAI holders. Then SGC started to grade them - sent them in for crossover. They came back with new homes, albeit each a grade lower. It was a Walter Johnson colored and a Matty colored.

That GAI 5 Cobb sure looks nice. Interested.

irishdenny 01-06-2015 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, If You are goin to have the Fine Folks at SGC Grade them... Then Just send them iN the WaY that they are, They will do the rest!

If You want to free them... I just use a ProsKit Flat Head Set(Scan) and tweek them open by starting at the Top Right Side. oR a Jewelers Flat Head!
Just insert the screwdriver into the Slabs Crease & treek ~ Turn the Flat Head Back & Fort to initially crack the Case open.

Once the initial separation is established... move down the same side bout a half an inch... Repeat the 1st Step... After the 2nd crack iS made... Slide the Screw Driver down the Same Side... Just like You were Opening a Letter!

Then You can just use your hands to Separate the 2 Sides of the Slab...
Remove the Card... Be Aware of Any Plastic Crystals if Any Remain oN the Card/Silk!? Just Blow them oFF the Silk! I also use a Small Fine Horse Hair Brush to be Remove All Doubt!

ThiS has Always Worked Very Well fir me... Never Had Any Issues :cool:

jcmtiger 01-06-2015 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Joe

Frank A 01-07-2015 07:41 AM

I have found that SGC undergrades all silks. You will be lucky if that 5 comes back a 3. Silks are not like card grading, it almost a waste of time having them graded. Frank

edhans 01-07-2015 10:19 AM

Re: Cross over to SGC S74 Cobbs GAI?

Grading silks is generally not very well understood, even by some of the grading companies. Like Old Judges, one important, but usually overlooked criterion, is image quality. S74s can be found with washed out, barely visible images and with incredibly bold and almost stunning clarity and contrast. Naturally the latter should command a premium over the former. With the colored silks (the one on the left in the OP's scan), it is imperative that the top and bottom captions be intact, as they are on the Cobb. I can't see it too well, but there appears to be minimal fraying. The "creases" or "folds" do not trouble me too much as they could probably be ironed out if desired. The colored Cobb should cross easily to an equal or even higher grade. The white silks must have their original paper backing intact to warrant anything more than an "A" grade. Once again, I can't tell for sure , but the Cobb appears to be missing the original back. If so, I would not waste the money trying to cross it. It's grossly overgraded if missing the reverse.

nolemmings 01-07-2015 11:25 AM

My 2 cents

I agree with the last two posters, and also believe it is a waste of time having these graded. I do not have much faith in grading companies when it comes to these or other non-standard "cards"-- PSA's grading of Domino disks is laughable. Slabbing for protection is really not necessary here either--the silks are durable enough that you risk little in handling them. Next, there is no registry frenzy on these, as PSA loyalists are not likely to show any interest (since PSA doesn't grade them), and SGC folks in general buy the card not the holder anyway (not sure about Beckett). Finally, there is little risk of fakes or of alteration with these--except maybe the affixing of backs to the S74 whites that came from other sources, so WYSIWYG pretty much applies.

If anything I think the holder detracts from a nice display of these, especially with the mylar or other insert. I'd free them from their tombs and sell as is.
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverh...f%20img731.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverh.../10s74cobb.jpg

jcmtiger 01-08-2015 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by edhans (Post 1363559)
Grading silks is generally not very well understood, even by some of the grading companies. Like Old Judges, one important, but usually overlooked criterion, is image quality. S74s can be found with washed out, barely visible images and with incredibly bold and almost stunning clarity and contrast. Naturally the latter should command a premium over the former. With the colored silks (the one on the left in the OP's scan), it is imperative that the top and bottom captions be intact, as they are on the Cobb. I can't see it too well, but there appears to be minimal fraying. The "creases" or "folds" do not trouble me too much as they could probably be ironed out if desired. The colored Cobb should cross easily to an equal or even higher grade. The white silks must have their original paper backing intact to warrant anything more than an "A" grade. Once again, I can't tell for sure , but the Cobb appears to be missing the original back. If so, I would not waste the money trying to cross it. It's grossly overgraded if missing the reverse.

Here are scans of the backs. But, I will probably free them from the slabs.

Joe

jcmtiger 01-08-2015 08:05 PM

They have escaped the slabs

1 Attachment(s)
Cracked them from slabs

Joe