Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hated to, but had to do it (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197369)

GrayGhost 11-24-2014 07:13 AM

Hated to, but had to do it

Im curious if you guys would have done the same thing, as in a way I feel like a heel

was at Mansfield Flea yesterday and saw a guy w autograph photos of Williams, Joe D, Aaron and Mays ALL with STAT certs. I told him he shouldn't sell those, as they are all bad. They were too., He kinda was like "uh huh".....

Would you have told him, or minded your own business?

tazdmb 11-24-2014 08:25 AM

Please, I was at the Ernie Harwell estate auction and auctioneer littered the auction with Fakes and used Ernie's name as provenance that they were real. I brought my operation bullpen book with me and told all the bidders about the Franngiapanni COAs, I know I save at least a couple of people thousands-wish I could to more.

Maddog 11-24-2014 03:03 PM

Hey Taz, every little bit counts.
Not too many people would have done even that :(

39special 11-24-2014 04:06 PM

I would have told him.And if he would have blown me off,I would have told him again.

Bpm0014 11-24-2014 04:21 PM

Good job

thetruthisoutthere 11-24-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1347467)
Im curious if you guys would have done the same thing, as in a way I feel like a heel

was at Mansfield Flea yesterday and saw a guy w autograph photos of Williams, Joe D, Aaron and Mays ALL with STAT certs. I told him he shouldn't sell those, as they are all bad. They were too., He kinda was like "uh huh".....

You did the right thing, Scott.

I've done it myself at local shows here in NJ.

thetruthisoutthere 11-24-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1347484)
Please, I was at the Ernie Harwell estate auction and auctioneer littered the auction with Fakes and used Ernie's name as provenance that they were real. I brought my operation bullpen book with me and told all the bidders about the Franngiapanni COAs, I know I save at least a couple of people thousands-wish I could to more.

Nice job, Taz.

Gary Dunaier 11-27-2014 08:14 PM

Devil's advocate department: if we act under the presumption that the seller is not a con artist and genuinely believes the items are legitimate, I can understand a dismissive "uh huh" response. If someone I don't know comes up to me and tells me something I'm selling is fake, I might react the same way.

GrayGhost 11-28-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1348820)
Devil's advocate department: if we act under the presumption that the seller is not a con artist and genuinely believes the items are legitimate, I can understand a dismissive "uh huh" response. If someone I don't know comes up to me and tells me something I'm selling is fake, I might react the same way.

Yeah, he will prob still sell them. I didn't want to make things worse, just to inform him.

Deertick 11-28-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Let's just say that my wife breathes a sigh of relief when I don't see any autos at a flea market or auction. :D

MooseDog 11-29-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

I've found the best way is to engage the seller in a friendly manner, like asking if he has any other items, and strike up a conversation about autographs. At some point I sneak in the fact that I've been collecting autographs for 30+ years and that there are a lot of forgeries out there and even most COAs aren't worth a damn. Most will ask questions if it's not too busy.

Most casual sellers of autographs don't know anything about autographs, have never heard of Operation Bullpen and believe that any COA is a stamp of legitimacy. 90% of people I've approached in this manner have been receptive to what I had to tell them. The other 10% usually brag that they've sold "hundreds" of autographs without a problem. You're not going to reach them, they only care about the $.

If you have business cards, give the 90% guys one and tell them if they are ever offered autographs you'd be happy to provide them a little advice for free. For one, you might save someone a ton of money, and two, they might bring you in on the deal or offer to flip to you (both have happened in my case). I saved one guy from spending over $5000 on Operation Bullcrap stuff. He thought he was getting $100K worth of stuff for pennies on the dollar. Every stinking item in the lot was bad.

ibuysportsephemera 11-29-2014 07:21 AM

I have found that if someone doesn't think that you are trying to rip them off (ie telling them they are fake and then trying to buy them cheap), they might listen. Usually I just tell them to Google Operation Bullpen if they want to get an education about autographs.

Jeff