Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Craziest set of the century -So far. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190180)

steve B 06-29-2014 09:15 PM

Craziest set of the century -So far.

I finally had a look through Ebay at some of the 2014 Chipz.

The checklists I've found don't even begin to explain how crazy a set this is.

Seven colors.
And as far as I can tell each can come with a regular player picture, Gold foil, or magnetic. Plus the glow in the dark.

That's 2200 different.

I'm not sure yet if the glow in the dark and gold foil can also be magnetic, which would push it out to 3500.

I have one pair with the laces on the "ball" pointing both up and down. :eek:

So maybe as many as 7000.

Not counting the mascots and memorabilia, or the team stickers. The stickers come off very easily, so they'd be trivial to fake, but I have gotten red and silver border ones with team stickers from packs.

It's nowhere near knocking 98 Topps Tek off the number one spot (At 16,200 cards!) But it's still pretty crazy.
And it probably won't stay in the top spot for long, Tek is supposed to be back in November, at around 9600 cards.

For comparison, regular Topps with all the parallels runs around 3960 cards per series and that's beginning with a 330 card set. And Bowman with a dual 220/110 card set is around 4950. And that's including the 1/1 stuff, which Chipz supposedly doesn't have. (Although I'd almost bet the gold border gold foil are close)

Steve B

bnorth 06-30-2014 10:14 AM

All those crazy production #'s is why I don't own any 2000 to present baseball cards besides Wade Boggs and very few of them.

k-dog 08-02-2014 08:37 PM

I am too tired to do the math...but Topps is releasing "High Tek" later this year and it is going to have a ridiculous amount of cards just in the base set. It's stuff like this will ultimately force set builders and player collectors out of the hobby for good! :mad:

BradH 08-03-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dog (Post 1305310)
I am too tired to do the math...but Topps is releasing "High Tek" later this year and it is going to have a ridiculous amount of cards just in the base set. It's stuff like this will ultimately force set builders and player collectors out of the hobby for good! :mad:

I disagree about set builders. There could be a variety of reasons why set collectors might be dwindling, but I don't think the release of a massive set like this would drive set builders out of the hobby.

I can understand a level of frustration for player collectors. If a set comes out with lots of each player in it, that would be irritating and costly for sure.

I am a set builder, but I don't feel that I'm an EVERY SET builder. I don't buy every product out there and if a set doesn't appeal to me - and a set with 2200, 3500 or 9600 cards certainly does not - I simply won't buy it or build it.

Besides doing a base Topps set with my kids each year, I don't buy a lot of modern cards and I have no idea what Topps Tek is, but I don't see this as a problem. Buy - and build - what you like. If people don't support a set with more than 800 or so cards then Topps will stop doing it (I would think).

Just my two cents.

k-dog 08-03-2014 10:57 AM

I agree with you about the set building Brad. I explained my opinion incorrectly. I actually don't build sets, but it would seem that a release like this and others with tons of "base" variations would be incredibly difficult and costly (Topps High Tek is going to be considered "high end") for someone who would want to build it.

Davino 09-06-2014 11:11 PM

The proliferation of huge sets turns me off from collecting them. I stick with my post war stars collection.