Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I lost my DAD (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187960)

talkinbaseball 05-15-2014 05:44 AM

I lost my DAD

I just wanted to let everyone on the board, I just lost my dad just a little while ago.
He just turned 89 on March 21, he served in World War 2 in the 32nd red arrow division in New guinea.

He was a great husband to my mom and a great father to his 3 boys.
He was a toolmaker by trade and if any of you live in Connecticut you might've visited him at the Eagles Nest Coin Shop in Avon. He owned that shop for 37 years.
I miss him already, his name was William A. Guzze Sr.

Leon, thanks for all the support over the last couple months.

John D. Guzze

WhenItWasAHobby 05-15-2014 05:46 AM

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Moonlight Graham 05-15-2014 05:50 AM

John I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.
God bless,

Joe

veleno45 05-15-2014 05:57 AM

So sorry to hear that...

My prayers to you and your family, and I appreciate your fathers service to our country.

Jacker_ Cracks 05-15-2014 06:02 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss. I recently lost my Dad and best friend to cancer and it is tough. Best wishes for you and your family.

sebie43 05-15-2014 06:36 AM

Im sorry to hear this, Losing your father is one of the hardest things. I lost my father to cancer and I miss him everyday, my prayers and condolences are with you. God bless

Sebastian

Leon 05-15-2014 06:42 AM

My heartfelt condolences John. It sounds like he had a good and quite long life. He will always be with you as long as you remember him. Take care my friend.....Rest in Peace Mr Guzze Sr..

JoeyF1981 05-15-2014 06:46 AM

Im so sorry to hear about your loss....you and your family are in my prayers

autograf 05-15-2014 06:53 AM

Condolences to you and your family.....

joeadcock 05-15-2014 07:05 AM

God with you during this time.

I see Veterans most of my days the last 25 years or so. And it is so hard to see them pass. We live in freedom thanks to them.

I will pray for you and other family members.

barrysloate 05-15-2014 07:08 AM

My condolences John. Remember him for many things, especially as a great friend.

Hot Springs Bathers 05-15-2014 07:29 AM

John, so sorry, lost mine two years ago just shy of 95. Celebrate those great memories!

6-4-3memorabilia 05-15-2014 07:55 AM

A true American hero. Sorry for your loss. Hope you have a ton of great memories with him

GrayGhost 05-15-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkinbaseball (Post 1276287)
I just wanted to let everyone on the board, I just lost my dad just a little while ago.
He just turned 89 on March 21, he served in World War 2 in the 32nd red arrow division in New guinea.

He was a great husband to my mom and a great father to his 3 boys.
He was a toolmaker by trade and if any of you live in Connecticut you might've visited him at the Eagles Nest Coin Shop in Avon. He owned that shop for 37 years.
I miss him already, his name was William A. Guzze Sr.

Leon, thanks for all the support over the last couple months.

John D. Guzze

John, when I lost my dad at age 79 in Nov 2010, it tore my heart out. I never visited that store, tho I am a lifetime CT resident. I can understand what a great father is, and what that means to a person. I am sure He is at rest and peace now. God be with you and your family. You can message me if u want to talk at any time.

Scott

D.P.Johnson 05-15-2014 08:09 AM

You've got great memories brother! You're a good son which is the most important thing to any parent!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-15-2014 08:15 AM

John,

Sorry for your loss. Losing a loved is never easy.

Sent using Tapatalk

ZachS 05-15-2014 08:34 AM

My condolences to you and your family.

The 32nd were some hard-charging guys. You should be proud.

Quote:

General Douglas MacArthur had repeatedly requested Washington D.C. to send him additional troops with which to initiate an offensive campaign and had been pointedly told he would have to make do with the troops on hand. MacArthur had decided as soon as he had reached Australia that the key to its defense lay not on the mainland but in New Guinea. On 13 September 1942 he ordered parts of the 32nd Division to Papua New Guinea even though they had less than two months of training. This would become part of the opening ground offensive against Japanese troops in the Southwest Pacific Area, and MacArthur expected the Americans to quickly and easily advance on and capture the Japanese forward base at Buna.

The U.S. Army typically required divisions to train as a unit for a full year before entering combat. The 32nd had arrived in Australia in April 1942, spent several weeks building its first camp, was transported to a new camp ion July, and nearly one-third of its troops had been in boot camp only five months previously. Nonetheless U.S. officers decided it was the most combat-ready unit in Australia.

The 32nd Division was among the first of all US divisions to engage in a ground assault against the enemy in World War II.

Combat Time

654 days of combat (15,696 hours) - more than any U.S. division during the war.

This represents 48% of the total time the U.S. was in World War II.

41 months overseas, over 21 of them spent in combat.

6 major engagements in 4 campaigns.

http://www.austinschools.org/campus/..._half_mast.gif

Sean1125 05-15-2014 08:36 AM

My condolences and thoughts are with you and your family.

Sean

jbsports33 05-15-2014 08:51 AM

I lost my DAD Reply to Thread

God Bless you and your Family and thank you for your Dad's service to our great country

Jimmy

Tobacco&Gum 05-15-2014 09:34 AM

My deepest condolences to you, and your family.
Thank you to your dad for saving the world, because that's exactly what "The Greatest Generation" did.

ethicsprof 05-15-2014 09:39 AM

John

my heartfelt condolences in the loss of your father.
my prayers are with you now and continuing.

with deepest sympathy,
barry

irishdenny 05-15-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachS (Post 1276336)
My condolences to you and your family.

The 32nd were some hard-charging guys. You should be proud.

Quote:
General Douglas MacArthur had repeatedly requested Washington D.C. to send him additional troops with which to initiate an offensive campaign and had been pointedly told he would have to make do with the troops on hand. MacArthur had decided as soon as he had reached Australia that the key to its defense lay not on the mainland but in New Guinea. On 13 September 1942 he ordered parts of the 32nd Division to Papua New Guinea even though they had less than two months of training. This would become part of the opening ground offensive against Japanese troops in the Southwest Pacific Area, and MacArthur expected the Americans to quickly and easily advance on and capture the Japanese forward base at Buna.

The U.S. Army typically required divisions to train as a unit for a full year before entering combat. The 32nd had arrived in Australia in April 1942, spent several weeks building its first camp, was transported to a new camp ion July, and nearly one-third of its troops had been in boot camp only five months previously. Nonetheless U.S. officers decided it was the most combat-ready unit in Australia.

The 32nd Division was among the first of all US divisions to engage in a ground assault against the enemy in World War II.

Combat Time

654 days of combat (15,696 hours) - more than any U.S. division during the war.

This represents 48% of the total time the U.S. was in World War II.

41 months overseas, over 21 of them spent in combat.

6 major engagements in 4 campaigns.

http://www.austinschools.org/campus/..._half_mast.gif

Hero's, Such as Your Courageous Dad, are the encouraging reason why I grew up the way I did... And ultimately, Did what did to Honor Men Like Him.

Your Father was & will, "Forever Be" One of the True Few!
Many can say that that they were there.
imho, Your Dad was One of the Most Bravest Men that this World has Ever Known!

Had I known him, I would of been a better man...

May God Bless You & Yours During This Time of Loss.

& Thank You for sharing a bit about Him with us All!

mrvster 05-15-2014 04:09 PM

My heart bleeds....

for your loss......I lost my dad in 1993( he was 55 and has a massive heart attck) and I have never recovered....you just have to make him proud now.....I know how you feel and my heart goes out to you and your family....

Johnny

the 'stache 05-15-2014 04:25 PM

John, my heartfelt condolences to both you and your family.

oldcardboard 05-15-2014 04:30 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. My prayer group will be praying for you and your family.

Jason 05-15-2014 05:25 PM

Sorry to hear that. He is in a better place.

JMEnglish27 05-15-2014 05:28 PM

Sorry for your loss...be well.

Kenny Cole 05-15-2014 05:30 PM

My deepest sympathy. Prayers going your way.

leaflover 05-15-2014 05:41 PM

As Ben Franklin wrote...."....we are soon to follow...."

My condolences. The only thing tougher than losing your Dad would be losing a son.

Michael Peich 05-15-2014 06:51 PM

Hi, John,

You have my heartfelt condolences. My Dad just turned 91, and is also a WW II vet as a Marine. I'm thankful for every day he's still with us.

Warm regards,
Mike

tedzan 05-15-2014 07:16 PM

John

GOD Bless your Dad.

And, GOD Bless and comfort you and your family.

TED Z

RTK 05-15-2014 07:17 PM

My condolences and sincere thanks for his service to our country. I lost my dad in 2007, May 19th and think of him every day, usually ending up with a smile. Time will make it easier but the feeling of loss will never go completely away.

rc4157 05-15-2014 07:57 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time John.

RC

t206blogcom 05-15-2014 08:01 PM

Condolences to you and your family. God bless.

ullmandds 05-15-2014 08:36 PM

John...so sorry to hear about your dad...it sounds like he was a good man and lived a full life. My thoughts are with u.

bbcard1 05-15-2014 08:58 PM

Just want to say how sorry I am. I lost my dad probably 6 or 7 years ago. The big C. I think about him every day and I use things he taught me almost every hour. It will mess with your head for a while...expect it, it is natural. It brings up a lot of things, especially thoughts of our own mortality. My prayers are with you and your family.

YankeeFan 05-15-2014 09:10 PM

My condolences on the passing of your Dad. Your love and admiration of him is obvious and I'm sure it gave him much joy.

Our WWII vets are precious to this country, and the world, for what they did.

May God provide comfort to you an your family at this time.

Tim Kindler 05-15-2014 09:23 PM

Our condolences

John,
Our family sends our condolences to yours and those who knew your father. May he rest in peace and may you be filled with the joys that he left behind on this earth.
Tim Kindler

MVSNYC 05-15-2014 09:43 PM

Sorry for your loss.

sporteq 05-15-2014 09:55 PM

Sorry to hear.. I've gone thru this difficult, painful, life changing event myself. I pray the lord will grant you and your family peace of mind.

Warmest Regards,

Albert

Al C.risafulli 05-16-2014 07:11 AM

Sounds like your dad was a great man, who raised a great son. So sorry to read of his loss.

Regards,
-Al

Jcfowler6 05-16-2014 09:50 AM

Peace be with you and your family. His service was priceless to his family and his country.

God bless. Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williamcohon 05-16-2014 12:33 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss. Your account was poignant to me because it was only two years ago that I lost my 93-year-old father, also a vet.

I believe we live on in the good deeds we do. When you do good to honor your father, it is as if he is with you.

May his name be for a blessing.

talkinbaseball 05-19-2014 12:39 PM

Thanks

All:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words about my dad.
The wake is today and the funeral is tomorrow.
Thanks for all the support in these difficult times.
Like Tom Brokaw said, " The Greatest Generation", I'll go one step further, anyone one of you who is a Veteran, in my eyes you're all the greatest generation.

thanks so much,
the guzze family

Rickyy 05-20-2014 01:41 AM

My condolences to the family. Your father sounded like a great great man!

Ricky Y

SteveMitchell 05-20-2014 08:07 PM

Condolences and A link to William A. Guzze, Sr.'s obituary

John...

Heartfelt condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. As others have said, without men like your dad our nation would never have become as great as it was.

Following is a link to William A. Guzze, Sr.'s obituary as it appears in the New Britain Herald: http://www.newbritainherald.com/arti...f828841999.txt

You and your family are in my prayers.

Steve

dougscats 05-22-2014 12:21 PM

Sorry for your loss, John.