Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are your opinions...is this auction worth it? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170357)

Brianruns10 06-09-2013 10:43 PM

What are your opinions...is this auction worth it?

The sale is for a '52 Frank Crosetti. I'd LOVE to have this for my set. The centering is great, the eye appeal and color is great. The only rub is the reverse. There's some mild staining, primarily around the number in the upper left corner.

Now, when it comes to the reverse, I'm not as much of a stickler...doesn't bother me if it's off center, so long as the front side is centered, but stains are a different issue. I draw the line at gumstains, but these look different. Grease or slight moisture damage. But it's not that bad, not as bad as gumstains I've seen, and it doesn't change the fact that the front side is great.

And look, I buy the card, not the plastic, and I'm a collector, not a dealer looking for a quick profit. But I still try to be wise, to invest my money in the best cards I can, that should the need arise, I can sell and recoup what I spent.

What is your opinion of this card? Would you buy it? Or is the stain a dealbreaker, and a potential hit to it's overall value?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...-/271220680226

mintacular 06-10-2013 07:22 AM

Stains

I think the stains are pretty minor that they don't take away from the quality/look of the card. If I were paying huge $ on a PSA 7 or higher though on a card like this I would probably avoid paying that much as when you would resell it you might have problems getting your $ back. But on a PSA 5 card this sort of blemish is pretty common.

Paul S 06-10-2013 09:19 AM

That's a really sharp looking card. The stain on the back wouldn't bother me at all. However, if you are the type of person who, every time you admire the front you are thinking about the slight back stain, well, uh, you know, could you still just enjoy the card?

nolemmings 06-10-2013 09:25 AM

Go ahead and get it. You know you want it. It's a very nice card.

I have absolutely no problems with product stains on the reverse of cards, at least for mid-grade cards--they're just a badge of authenticity. Here these look to be particularly minor, although they may not be product stains. If they truly bother you "as a collector" then pass, but I really doubt that these stains will adversely affect this card's resale value to any significant degree.

67_Palmer 06-10-2013 10:09 AM

Doesn't look like gum stain.

Cardboard Junkie 06-10-2013 10:29 AM

Looks like a very insignificant wax stain witha couple of very small spots of foxing. Buy It! It's a great card with great eye appeal and a top drawer "5". Probably go for 250 or more? What would you pay? Dave.

Brianruns10 06-10-2013 11:13 AM

thanks a lot for the comments all. It's a really nice card, and Frank Crossetti's a toughie. The first example I've seen on ebay that I really liked. I'll definitely be watching this one...

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-10-2013 04:03 PM

Crosetti

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1144179)
The sale is for a '52 Frank Crosetti. I'd LOVE to have this for my set. The centering is great, the eye appeal and color is great. The only rub is the reverse. There's some mild staining, primarily around the number in the upper left corner.

Now, when it comes to the reverse, I'm not as much of a stickler...doesn't bother me if it's off center, so long as the front side is centered, but stains are a different issue. I draw the line at gumstains, but these look different. Grease or slight moisture damage. But it's not that bad, not as bad as gumstains I've seen, and it doesn't change the fact that the front side is great.

And look, I buy the card, not the plastic, and I'm a collector, not a dealer looking for a quick profit. But I still try to be wise, to invest my money in the best cards I can, that should the need arise, I can sell and recoup what I spent.

What is your opinion of this card? Would you buy it? Or is the stain a dealbreaker, and a potential hit to it's overall value?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...-/271220680226

While reading your post, I was prepared to tell you to pass. However, after looking at it, it is barely noticeable at all. Alongside the other 406 (or 558 :)), you will never know it. Very nice card!

Republicaninmass 06-10-2013 04:06 PM

Go for it, Crosetti is very tough to find well centered, and very desireable. You wont get it for a bargain, but you will will regret it if you dont bid!

KCRfan1 06-10-2013 06:08 PM

If this were a card I needed, I would be bidding. Not that PSA is the be all to end all, but they did not feel the stain on the back was worth placing a qualifier on the card ( ST ). Just have a reasonable price you are willing to pay and bid away. Good Luck!

Zone91 06-16-2013 08:25 PM

I see your card is closing in a few minutes let us know how it went.

Post # 1

Zach Wheat 06-16-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1144256)
I think the stains are pretty minor that they don't take away from the quality/look of the card. If I were paying huge $ on a PSA 7 or higher though on a card like this I would probably avoid paying that much as when you would resell it you might have problems getting your $ back. But on a PSA 5 card this sort of blemish is pretty common.

I think Patrick hit the. Nail on the head. I agree...as well

Zone91 06-16-2013 08:41 PM

Just sold for 334$!!

Post# 2

Republicaninmass 06-16-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1144477)
Go for it, Crosetti is very tough to find well centered, and very desireable. You wont get it for a bargain, but you will will regret it if you dont bid!

and THREE bidders over $230

SMPEP 06-16-2013 09:18 PM

And I bought 2 in the the last 2 years for under $45 combined. (No, I'm not concerned about centering.)

Makes me wonder why people pay so much for graded cards, but I guess that's just me.

Zone91 06-16-2013 09:31 PM

SMPEP

Everyone has different goals and different budgets...for some 334$ is a lot and for others it is nothing!! Like they say live and let live to each his own.

Post # 4

Brianruns10 06-17-2013 07:42 PM

Well in the end I opted not to bid on this one. Seeing the way the price was going, I just couldn't resolve paying that much for a card with staining on the reverse.

Maybe I'll have to wait for the National, but I figure if I'm gonna pay a premium, I'm gonna get one of the highest quality.

Instead, I won an auction for a '52 Clyde Sukeforth. Dead perfect centering, great colors and excellent corners. Grade PSA 5, but I plan to crack and resubmit. It'll be a welcome addition to my set!

KCRfan1 06-17-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zone91 (Post 1147216)
SMPEP

Everyone has different goals and different budgets...for some 334$ is a lot and for others it is nothing!! Like they say live and let live to each his own.

Post # 4

Or as some others might say " A fool and their money is soon parted ".

HOF Yankees 06-18-2013 12:36 AM

To me the card looks awesome and that slight blemish doesn't take away from the overall eye appeal, nice pickup

Zone91 06-18-2013 09:55 AM

KCRfan1

Why is someone a fool because they can afford certain cards without worrying? You sound a bit bitter towards people who have deeper pockets (and this card at this price does not even need someone with a lot of money to be able to afford it)!!

Post # 1

KCRfan1 06-18-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zone91 (Post 1147764)
KCRfan1

Why is someone a fool because they can afford certain cards without worrying? You sound a bit bitter towards people who have deeper pockets (and this card at this price does not even need someone with a lot of money to be able to afford it)!!

Post # 1

I'm not getting baited into this...I assure you I am not bitter over anything. And you have NO idea how deep my pockets run. Don't assume....