Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Ultimate Compilation of Baseball Card Sets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166503)

Julz24 04-03-2013 08:39 PM

The Ultimate Compilation of Baseball Card Sets

I am trying to find a complete compilation of every baseball card issue going all the way back to the beginning. Everything from major brand to oddball. I know this is no small task, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any software or website out there that has come up with an accurate list. It would be ideal for me, for sorting purposes, if it was in or able to be put into a spreadsheet.

I'm sorry if this question has come up before. There are so many knowledgeable people on this board I imagine someone knows of a good starting point. Thanks so much.

tonyo 04-04-2013 07:17 AM

When I started my prewar type collection a year or two ago, I used oldcarboard.com, did alot of cutting and pasting to create a spreadsheet that I use as a checklist.

I can share that with you if you like. I also have aleast one more type card spreadsheet that another member sent me.

EvilKing00 04-04-2013 09:09 AM

This may help, its not all of them but this site is trying to find every card and set as well, may be a good start - www.baseball-almanac.com

Tcards-Please 04-04-2013 09:15 AM

My Recommendation

1 Attachment(s)
This book is the closest I've seen that covers most cards issued. The online registries from PSA or SGC may be the best place to get the checklists for most cards/set issued.

r/
Frank

tonyo 04-04-2013 09:56 AM

I may have misunderstood the question.

Are you looking for a list of every set that exists (what I thought you were asking), or a list of every card that exists? If you want every card, I concur with Frank regarding SCD's std catalog and my spreadsheets won't help you there :)

birdman42 04-04-2013 11:05 AM

Another good resource is www.teamsets4u.com. They have many (many, many) sets listed, and under each one there's a breakdown by team. Click on the "Team Set Checklist" button, then scroll down to the end of the page to see the lists by decade.

Bill

dlfallen 04-04-2013 12:32 PM

Several years ago there was a Yahoo groups for a baseball cards database (BBCDB). I found the database to be relatively complete and useful. It covers 15,130 sets (and individual cards) from 1867 (Troy Haymakers CdV's) through 2004. One nice feature was that the listings include the Layman Player ID number.

I still have a copy of this database if anyone is interested. I have the original distribution files (csv format if I remember correctly) but needs some understanding and work to make it useful. I also have an MS Access file where I built requisite tables and have some useful queries. Also, some version of this I have as a SAS database.

Julz24 04-05-2013 08:23 PM

Okay, thanks for all of the leads. Old Cardboard definitely seems like a good place to start. The Baseball Almanac site is a long, long way from being complete but they are adding new sets every month.

I might have to get my hands on the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. It sounds a bit more comprehensive then the Beckett Almanac. Thanks again.