Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   fake m101-5 Wheat gets by PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166188)

nolemmings 03-28-2013 11:48 PM

fake m101-5 Wheat gets by PSA

I was unaware PSA would knowingly holder a trimmed card and mark it as such, but they still blew it, for the card is not authentic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-M101-5-...item1c316166f9

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1916-M101-5-S...1ng~~60_57.JPG

RCMcKenzie 03-29-2013 12:00 AM

Grading

I think grading companies do the best they can for what it is. I only send in cards for grading that I want to sell. Half the time they mess up the series, not to mention the grade. It's not like McKee and Klein and Sloate are sitting over there at a desk waiting to expertly grade these cards. For $10 a card it's some college girl who has been brushed up on the general idea.

Matthew H 03-29-2013 12:08 AM

Nice catch Todd, btw SGC and BVG both holder trimmed cards as well.

RCMcKenzie 03-29-2013 12:21 AM

Matt,

I am not an expert on the m104 etc cards , but I do collect them some. I think when you see a space between the picture and the frame it's a fake.

Matthew H 03-29-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1109792)
Matt,

I am not an expert on the m104 etc cards , but I do collect them some. I think when you see a space between the picture and the frame it's a fake.

You are correct. There is a PSA graded fake Ruth in the detecting alterations and reprints section.

nolemmings 03-29-2013 01:12 AM

You are correct sir

That's right. A gap like that between frame and photo is the tell-tale sign. A real Wheat would show his entire throwing hand and arm with a very small space to the border.

I just didn't want anyone here to get burned by banking on PSA in this instance. I was also turned off by the auction title, for a "1916 m101-5 Sporting News Zach Wheat RC PSA 7", which is clearly false. The "card" is a reprint, is not a Sporting News (m101-5 never has a Sporting News back), is not his rookie card, and is not a PSA 7. Other than that he got it right; oh wait, since it's a reprint it is also neither an m101-5 nor from 1916. Guess he comes up empty on this one.

gnaz01 03-29-2013 03:49 AM

Yet another example of why people should buy the card and not the holder!

kdixon 03-29-2013 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of Wheats to compare.

Iron Horse 03-29-2013 08:20 PM

Love this forum

Learned something new :)

Tanman7baseball 03-30-2013 02:04 AM

Maybe cracked case?

I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps it used to be a real Hornsby then someone cracked the case open and resealed it with this fake? Or is that not even possible with that particular casing?

T206DK 03-30-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball (Post 1110267)
I'm just throwing this out there, but perhaps it used to be a real Hornsby then someone cracked the case open and resealed it with this fake? Or is that not even possible with that particular casing?

It happens more often than you think. A former card shop owner in a town south of where I live was busted for taking real T206 Cobb cards out of their PSA cases and replacing them with printed copies he made

Runscott 03-30-2013 09:49 AM

I think we're bashing PSA for a card that was holdered years ago, and that we've probably already complained about multiple times. Yes, it's a reprint, but unless an owner cracks it out we are probably going to see it here many more times over the years.

nolemmings 03-30-2013 10:00 AM

Why do you think this card was holdered years ago? I can tell you that I have followed these cards diligently for years and I have never seen this Wheat, so it is not a card that "we've probably already complained about multiple times".

Leon 03-30-2013 10:13 AM

PSA should probably contact the owner to see if they can get it out of their holder. I will send them a message. From there it's their call. Obviously, if the holder hasn't been compromised, they made a mistake. And not to make light of it, It isn't the first or last mistake from any reputable grading company. If I were them, I would try to find out who personally graded it and give them some remedial training.

4815162342 03-30-2013 10:17 AM

The cert still checks out for this one: http://www.psacard.com/Cert/21267674/

I believe the cert for the Ruth that was mentioned does not.

Runscott 03-30-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1110346)
Why do you think this card was holdered years ago? I can tell you that I have followed these cards diligently for years and I have never seen this Wheat, so it is not a card that "we've probably already complained about multiple times".

Todd, I wasn't taking a shot at you - I was going by the holder design, which I thought was an old one. If PSA is still holdering this same style of M101-5 reprint, then they certainly deserve to be complained about again.

nolemmings 03-30-2013 10:44 AM

No problems Scott. I really wasn't out to bash PSA either. There are so many of those threads over the years and I pretty much stay out of them (fish in a barrel)--PSA is what it is. I just wanted to point out the problem to those on the board who don't collect m101s but who might want to pick up one for type. This example would be a nice addition if it were real and available cheap. Following PSA's blessing in this case would be a mistake.

Personally, I wonder if the submitter deliberately asked that it be graded Authentic trimmed, although he indicates otherwise in his listing. That way maybe someone at PSA thought it was an honest guy not trying to put one over on them about the trim and just wanting it authenticated, and they didn't give it much of a look.

Runscott 03-30-2013 10:59 AM

We talked about these reprints so much in the past that they now stick out for most of us, like a sore thumb - and I don't even collect M101-5's and haven't seen one of these reprints since the old days.

Although all the grading companies make errors, there are a few reprints that should be on some sort of 'reprint' master list that PSA uses to train their new-hires. These really should never get through.

Leon 03-30-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1110363)
We talked about these reprints so much in the past that they now stick out for most of us, like a sore thumb - and I don't even collect M101-5's and haven't seen one of these reprints since the old days.

Although all the grading companies make errors, there are a few reprints that should be on some sort of 'reprint' master list that PSA uses to train their new-hires. These really should never get through.

I agree 100%.

freakhappy 03-30-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1110363)

Great point and idea, Scott!