Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   DiMaggio brothers true or fake (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161098)

dogmechanic 01-05-2013 09:07 PM

DiMaggio brothers true or fake

1 Attachment(s)
PSA quick opinion could not tell so I am going up a big step to you guys

MaysFan 01-06-2013 09:18 AM

Long time reader/first time poster. Speaking as a collector who obtained multiple in-person signatures of Joe D. in his later years I can opine with confidence that the signature over his image is not his own. I've seen only a few Vince sigs, on baseballs primarily, and the "neatness" of this one troubles me.....of course having a fake example of his more famous brother on the same item only serves to heighten my doubts.

Charley

JimStinson 01-07-2013 05:55 PM

JimStinson

Didn't all three of them do a Baseball Card show together once ?

JimStinson 01-07-2013 06:12 PM

JimStinson

Maybe more than once...

1986 – DiMaggio brothers make final appearance together in Fenway Park in May

1986 – Brother Vince DiMaggio dies in October

Lordstan 01-08-2013 07:27 AM

Jim,
I don't think they ever did a show together.
Vince died Friday Oct 3, 1986. On Sat Oct 4th and Sun 5th, I was set up at a show in Connecticut (Newtown I think) where Joe, Dom, and Vince were set to appear. The promoter was Chris (I can't remember his last name, but he always wore a cowboy hat). He had it billed as the first time the three of them were at a show together.
Obviously, when news of his passing arrived the night before the promoter was panicked. Joe and Dom had already arrived, but a lot of discussions were had about what they were going to do. In the end, the story Chris told me, was that it was Dom who convinced Joe to stay and complete the show, I was told that Dom understood the financial commitment the promoter had made and Vince would've wanted them to stay and not leave the guy hanging.
It was a very emotional show for them both. They were often seen with tears in their eyes.
Mark

JimStinson 01-08-2013 08:07 AM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1070755)
Jim,
I don't think they ever did a show together.
Vince died Friday Oct 3, 1986. On Sat Oct 4th and Sun 5th, I was set up at a show in Connecticut (Newtown I think) where Joe, Dom, and Vince were set to appear. The promoter was Chris (I can't remember his last name, but he always wore a cowboy hat). He had it billed as the first time the three of them were at a show together.
Obviously, when news of his passing arrived the night before the promoter was panicked. Joe and Dom had already arrived, but a lot of discussions were had about what they were going to do. In the end, the story Chris told me, was that it was Dom who convinced Joe to stay and complete the show, I was told that Dom understood the financial commitment the promoter had made and Vince would've wanted them to stay and not leave the guy hanging.
It was a very emotional show for them both. They were often seen with tears in their eyes.
Mark

Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at

Fuddjcal 01-08-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1070767)
Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at

I had the pleasure to have Club level seats then and on the Dodgers next trip home they honored Don Drysdale. He was a broadcaster for the Dodgers then and his seats were right next to ours (Ross Porter was in back of us) he would come by during breaks and sit with his family Anne Meyers and 2 small kids. She was there with the kids that day with a video recorder taking in the moment while I cried like a baby. He was a GREAT GUY. Never once asked the man for his autograph, but friends did and he was more than gracious. great memories. Now, I wouldn't pay for a Dodger ticket.... you almost have to pay me to go there.

isaac2004 01-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1070769)
I had the pleasure to have Club level seats then and on the Dodgers next trip home they honored Don Drysdale. He was a broadcaster for the Dodgers then and his seats were right next to ours (Ross Porter was in back of us) he would come by during breaks and sit with his family Anne Meyers and 2 small kids. She was there with the kids that day with a video recorder taking in the moment while I cried like a baby. He was a GREAT GUY. Never once asked the man for his autograph, but friends did and he was more than gracious. great memories. Now, I wouldn't pay for a Dodger ticket.... you almost have to pay me to go there.

Even with all that money they are spending Chuck? :)

dogmechanic 01-09-2013 05:35 PM

Does anyone know if they ever signed together. At old timers games or any events. Sad about the show right after Vince's death. Vince is my favorite. he didn't get a lot of ink in his day, but still my favorite

dogmechanic 01-11-2013 05:23 PM

I just saw another of these on ebay. Will post it when I get home. Not a copy of this

dogmechanic 01-11-2013 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on eBay as a copy of a original photo. Owner said he got it from a private collector was all I could get from him. He answered me right back. I don't think this is authentic. DID THIS HAPPEN OR ARE BOTH FORGERIES OR AT LEAST ONE