Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T205 Hoblitzell Cycle "No Stats" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160041)

Tcards-Please 12-10-2012 10:48 PM

T205 Hoblitzell Cycle "No Stats"

Wife was Christmas shopping for me and was getting ready to buy this as PSA said this was a "no stats" version. Glad that she asked me a couple questions and then showed this to me. Should have said Cycle - Altered. And I thought she wasn't paying attention when I talked cards.

With the "Buy it Now" at $1295, it might lead some unsuspecting person (or spouse Christmas shopping) to think this is a real "no stats" version. It would be nice if the seller would add a little more to the description indicating that it really isn't a "no stats", but rather a Cycle that has had the stats removed. I have purchased from this seller in the past and have had no issues, but I can't imagine that he paid anymore than $75.00 for that card and is trying to profit considerably from the flip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T205-Gold-Bo...item2578ae14d1

r/
Frank

Pup6913 12-10-2012 11:37 PM

Frank I posted about this as well. I as well was gonna pull the trigger quick till i seen the back

familytoad 12-10-2012 11:51 PM

Downer

The lengths some folks will go to...
How in the world can PSA put that note on a flip , and subsequently I think it's a lowbrow move to deceive by omission.
Geez this hobby ( pun partially intended) can really disappoint at times:(

asoriano 12-11-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1061369)
How in the world can PSA put that note on a flip , and subsequently I think it's a lowbrow move to deceive by omission.
(

Sadly, this isn't the first time PSA has made this particular error on the flip.

I vaguely remember seeing a PSA-graded Hobby "No Stats" with a Piedmont back floating around during the '09 Cleveland National :rolleyes:

For those who are unaware, the real McCoy only exists with a Hassan reverse.

T206DK 12-11-2012 07:16 AM

the seller knows EXACTLY what he is doing - unfortunately Ebay is going to let him do it. How depressing our hobby has become

peterb69 12-11-2012 09:29 AM

I almost pulled the trigger as well to try and beat you guys to the purchase.

I did check the new Master T205 Checklist and noticed the "No Stats" was not a Cycle brand. Then I zoomed in on the back and you can see the stats was clearly erased.

THIS CARD SHOULD BE DESTROYED

Both PSA and Seller should not be grading/selling this card. PSA should have used ALTERED where they graded it Authentic. Yes they do have altered on the label, but in some sucker's rush to buy the card they might not notice.

iwantitiwinit 12-11-2012 09:37 AM

In my opinion all PSA's fault, wondering if I can get a Magee to a Magie altered if I erase a portion of the E. Ridiculous.

glynparson 12-11-2012 09:59 AM

when i clicked on the link it made me sad

in multiple ways. Dave come on take that down and ship it to Joe they should 100% buy that back or correctly label it as stats altered. it is not a no stats in any way or you get a yellow crayon and make yoursef some yellow letters and whiteout for some white letters. this is horrible. the worst labeling i have ever seen by a third party grading. i originally figured it was a data entry thing then i saw the card. that is pathetic as it was obviously a choice to label it as such and it is not in anyway a no stats.

Republicaninmass 12-11-2012 10:26 AM

ended

Peter_Spaeth 12-11-2012 10:28 AM

Maybe you guys should have tried a polite message to the seller instead of assuming evil intent. I contacted him through ebay, and he just wrote me back thanking me and ending the listing.

EvilKing00 12-11-2012 10:29 AM

Thats a Big Mistake by PSA - and I think they should be contacted about this BIG error on one of their Gradings.

Just aweful.

Pup6913 12-11-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1061484)
Maybe you guys should have tried a polite message to the seller instead of assuming evil intent. I contacted him through ebay, and he just wrote me back thanking me and ending the listing.

Peter many on this board as well as myself have bought cards (many 205's) from this seller as well as have met him personally and just can't imagine how that could get past him. PSA is nothing new but I can't imagine getting that card, grading it(if he did?), scanning the front and back as well as probably cropping it down, uploading the pic with a description, and then missing the damage/alteration to the card. The price was a steal also:(

The Walsh Blue OM didn't make it past him. Crap happens and I really do hope this was a blatant lack of focus that caused this and not something else. This is one of those times it pays to live by the motto "buy the card and not the holder".

I do hope we hear more on the outcome of this card.

Pup6913 12-11-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1061485)
Thats a Big Mistake by PSA - and I think they should be contacted about this BIG error on one of their Gradings.

Just aweful.

Lmao. This is common for them.

botn 12-11-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1061484)

Why then there would be no point to having two threads about this card and being able to trash PSA and the seller. Andrew in his rush to rant, started his own thread, failing to see this one was started a day earlier.

So Peter you are suggesting that people make an effort to try to be helpful privately and miss out on a chance to go on a public attack?

Tcards-Please 12-11-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1061609)
Andrew in his rush to rant, started his own thread, failing to see this one was started a day earlier.

Greg,

In his defense, Andrew made his post about 30 minutes after I made mine.

r/
Frank

Peter_Spaeth 12-11-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1061609)
So Peter you are suggesting that people make an effort to try to be helpful privately and miss out on a chance to go on a public attack?

Greg, if I suspected him of shill bidding I would have joined the lynch mob, next to that this seemed an unimportant offense that could be dealt with quietly.

Pup6913 12-11-2012 05:45 PM

Frank technically you posted yours the day before mine:D

I started the thread and got busy and came back to finish it. So in my defense I knew of no thread started already till it posted and I went back to the main forum. Either way this is not the first time we have had double post(sometimes hours and even a few days apart) about a card. Greg I'm not the only one ranting about this card but thanks for the recognition:D:D:D

bn2cardz 12-12-2012 08:31 AM

I noticed that PSA also only has 1 altered Hoblitzell in their pop report. It is listed as a no stats. So not only is the label wrong, their pop report is wrong.

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=49249

EvilKing00 12-12-2012 09:16 AM

LOL - OK I think I have a soulution!

Feel free, (if you think this is a good idea) to run with this and make millions.

Maybe there should be a company that over sees the card grading companies , um almost like the health dept over sees resturants.

Leon 12-12-2012 02:29 PM

Hopefully the seller, who rightfully ended the auction, works with PSA to get it out of their holder. Mistakes happen and it's how they are handled that matters most. Plus, if I were PSA, I would check who inspected that card and give them some remedial training.

ngrow9 05-18-2022 05:53 AM

Not sure if this is the same copy from ten years ago, but it looks like it could be:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T20...edirect=mobile

T205 GB 05-19-2022 01:55 PM

I am willing to bet money that it is. Cards like these never disappear. Only go hidden long enough for the next generation to come in and buy unknowingly. It was worth far more in a mislabeled flip than raw.

BobC 05-19-2022 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 2226320)
I am willing to bet money that it is. Cards like these never disappear. Only go hidden long enough for the next generation to come in and buy unknowingly. It was worth far more in a mislabeled flip than raw.

And apparently it has now been removed from Ebay.