Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   91 Topps Desert Shield (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157682)

savedfrommyspokes 10-13-2012 10:43 AM

91 Topps Desert Shield

I recently started building the 91 Topps Desert Shield set. In looking through some of the cards, the shields on a portion the cards are slightly different shades of color than the majority. Also, in looking at some duplicates of cards, the shield placement is slightly off from one card to another. Are these slight variances typical of this set? Have there been any confirmed cases of these cards being "counterfeited"?

Republicaninmass 10-13-2012 11:25 AM

from what I remember, the "Shield" stamp was more pointy on the counterfeits

brob28 10-13-2012 12:44 PM

There are definately counterfeits. If you do a google search you can find some really good articles that explain and show pictures of the fakes. There have also been some recent discussions on the board if you look in the archives.

savedfrommyspokes 10-14-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks guys...using the PSA article and the one group of pictures I did find, I went through mine and found about 10% of the 800+ I have were suspect. The strange part is the suspect ones were the ones with the gum stains...pretty cunning to counterfeit gum stained cards in order to deflect suspicion by using a less than NM card(who would counterfeit a gum stained card?). The coconuts on the top edge of the tree seem to be the easiest way for me to determine the legit ones from the fake. On the fakes, the coconuts were not easily seen.

savedfrommyspokes 10-27-2012 11:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I came across some more of these cards...and I am not sure on these where they may fall. Each of them is slightly different, but what I can not tell is if it is just a variance in quality. Can anyone tell from these scans if any of these are legit? If they are not legit, what is the tell tale sign that it is indeed a fake?

PhotoBiker 01-03-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1047835)
I came across some more of these cards...and I am not sure on these where they may fall. Each of them is slightly different, but what I can not tell is if it is just a variance in quality. Can anyone tell from these scans if any of these are legit? If they are not legit, what is the tell tale sign that it is indeed a fake?

If you tell me which cards these are, I can scan ours in for you. We have a legit set as we built ours from the packs we received after returning from the Gulf War.

ls7plus 01-16-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1044076)
There are definately counterfeits. If you do a google search you can find some really good articles that explain and show pictures of the fakes. There have also been some recent discussions on the board if you look in the archives.

They absolutely have been counterfeited, and more than once!

Larry