Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1940 Ga. Fla. League Baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157611)

D. Broughman 10-11-2012 08:55 AM

1940 Ga. Fla. League Baseball

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this signed 1940 Ga. Fla. League baseball at an antique store that has 16 signatures. It has Official 97 League, Goldsmith and A.D. Walker Pres. I was able to make out all of the signatures (I think)but some are very hard to read. Is there any value to this D league ball? Thanks D.

thecatspajamas 10-11-2012 10:12 AM

Depends on what names are on it, what team signed it, and the condition of the ball itself (looks like it has a couple of chunks out of the leather?). I usually wind up selling items like this to folks with an interest in the local teams and don't care so much about whether it's a D-level or AAA team, or sometimes there will be one standout name of a player who later hit it big in the majors.

It's kind of hard to tell anything from your photos though as they are so blurry. I can read the channel guide in the background better than I can any of the names on the ball :D

UnVme7 10-11-2012 11:45 AM

Try to list some of the names and we can probably figure out the team.

D. Broughman 10-11-2012 01:38 PM

Robbie Robertson
Erv Dusak
Glen Mouler
Stanley Ferens
Elmer Rummans
Dale Alexander
Pete Kendall
Bill Morrell
Stanley Wasiak
Cid Mckenzie
Mike Ulicny
Glen Moulder
Stanley Wysocki
Bill Taylor

Here is what I think the names are. Thanks for any help.

thecatspajamas 10-11-2012 02:42 PM

Looks like a mixture of Georgia-based teams represented, which I don't think helps you value-wise. All of these guys played for various Georgia-Florida League teams in 1940:

Robbie Robertson - ?
Erv Dusak - Albany Cardinals (GA)
Glen Mouler - Americus Pioneers (GA)
Stanley Ferens - Albany Cardinals (GA)
Elmer Rummans - Valdosta Trojans (GA)
Dale Alexander - Thomasville Tourists (GA)
Pete Kendall - ?
Bill Morrell - Valdosta Trojans (GA)
Stanley Wasiak - Americus Pioneers (GA)
Cid Mckenzie - (Sherwood McKenzie? Thomasville Trojans)
Mike Ulicny - Thomasville Trojans (GA)
Glen Moulder - (repeated)
Stanley Wasiak (repeated)
Bill Taylor - Cordele Bees (GA)

D. Broughman 10-11-2012 03:52 PM

There are two Glens Mouler and Moulder. Stanley Wysocki was the other player. I did a little more research and three players made it to the majors. Ervan Frank " four sack" Dusak, Stanley Ferens and Glen Moulder. None were in the bigs very long. Thanks for the help cats pajamas.

Nashvol 10-11-2012 04:19 PM

With players from different teams, could this be a ball that was autographed at the league's All Star game that season?

thecatspajamas 10-11-2012 04:32 PM

Stan Wysocki - 1940 Cordele Bees (GA)

Couldn't find a Glen Mouler. Are you sure that Moulder didn't just sign the ball twice? Wouldn't be uncommon on multi/team-signed balls.

Something like an All-Star game was my first thought, but seems odd that only Georgia teams would be represented. Without having researched them, could these teams have shared some sort of spring training facilities or appeared in an exhibition somewhere in Georgia that the Florida teams wouldn't have travelled to?

Nashvol 10-11-2012 05:39 PM

Sounds reasonable, or it could be a fan's ball who would have players from different teams sign a ball for him/her. FWIW, the only Florida team in the league was Tallahassee, so could this be a ball from a Tallahassee fan?

HexsHeroes 10-15-2012 11:06 AM

One more major leaguer . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Broughman (Post 1043681)
There are two Glens Mouler and Moulder. Stanley Wysocki was the other player. I did a little more research and three players made it to the majors. Ervan Frank " four sack" Dusak, Stanley Ferens and Glen Moulder. None were in the bigs very long. Thanks for the help cats pajamas.

. . . don't forget about Dale Alexander too. Was labeled as a very good hitter, but a liability defensively.

GriffinTiger 03-02-2021 08:25 AM

Ga Fla League Ball

If you still have this ball, would you be interested in parting with it? How much damage is on the ball?
Thanks.

Tom Hufford 03-02-2021 09:16 PM

The most valuable signature on the ball is that of Willard Morrell, Valdosta manager. Morrell had Major League stints with the Washington Senators in 1926 and the New York Giants in 1930-31.

In addition to a 17-year pro baseball career, Morrell also managed to squeeze in a long military career, with service in both WWI and WWII.

And, he was a rather notorious non-signer, at least through the mail, and given the fact that he lived until 1975, his autograph is much, much tougher than you might imagine it would be.