Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   '58 Pancho Herrera error card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=154588)

39special 07-29-2012 11:52 AM

'58 Pancho Herrera error card

I saw one on ebay that the A is light on the right side.
I thought the A was totally gone on the error card.Also it is graded a 6 by
PSA,but no mention of the error.If it was the error card,wouldn't PSA list it as an error?

doug.goodman 07-29-2012 01:28 PM

There are many levels of this "variation", which I prefer to think of as a glorified print dot.

Doug

39special 07-29-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1020077)
There are many levels of this "variation", which I prefer to think of as a glorified print dot.

Doug

Would PSA list it as an error?

doug.goodman 07-29-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39special (Post 1020082)
Would PSA list it as an error?

I don't know.

If it was up to me grading companies wouldn't exist, so I don''t pay much attention to what they do and don't consider "errors".

Doug

ALR-bishop 07-29-2012 02:10 PM

Herrer

The missing a is just a print defect, or as Doug likes to call them, "glorified" dots...or lack thereof. I think the a has to be mostly missing before it gets slabbed as one of the variations---mine below was graded PSA 7 Herrer...but like Doug I am not a graded guy nor aspire to same. By the way, the 57 Bakep and 52 Campos black star and missing front border are also likely just more of Doug's glorified stuff:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...539/img089.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...539/img172.jpg

39special 07-29-2012 03:01 PM

Thanks for the information guys! Doug I agree with you.I have no use for grading companies either.

ALR-bishop 07-29-2012 04:00 PM

Agrreewith Doug

Two people agreeing with Doug in one thread....remarkable

doug.goodman 07-29-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1020139)
Two people agreeing with Doug in one thread....remarkable

Laughing out loud. Come on Al, my opinions aren't THAT far off the norm, are they?

Doug

Volod 07-30-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1020254)
Laughing out loud. Come on Al, my opinions aren't THAT far off the norm, are they?

I'm with Doug on this. If a grading company makes a noise in the forest, but no one pays any attention, will it eventually go out of business?:confused:

doug.goodman 07-30-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1020484)
If a grading company makes a noise in the forest, but no one pays any attention, will it eventually go out of business?:confused:

I'm laughing too hard to think of a witty response.

sflayank 07-30-2012 07:07 PM

herrera

look at the one in memory lane auction it has the complete a visible and its marked as the error
unreal ...someone want to show to psa?

doug.goodman 07-30-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 1020565)
look at the one in memory lane auction it has the complete a visible and its marked as the error
unreal ...someone want to show to psa?

Nobody at any grading company cares. The first card graded by PSA was a lie, what reason do any of them have to change a system that works well for them?

ALR-bishop 07-30-2012 08:15 PM

Grading

Doug--I think if you calmly presented your ideas on grading in general and glorified print dots specifically, they would get it. Either way you are now +3 in this thread.

steve B 07-31-2012 07:52 AM

The herrer is a printing problem, but one I have a tough time figuring out.

That and a couple others in the same category are carried over from the old variation lists that focused mainly on the obvious stuff. And the companies basically work from the published lists.

Some of the printing dots are actually differences on the plate or damage to the plate. I prefer to call them varieties since variations carries so much baggage for some collectors. I do think that only the major ones ought to get a listing in a general catalog, the minor ones could be listed in a specialized list. The same sort of discussions go on in stamps, and some of those have been studied closely for 100 years or more. And there are still "new" varieties being found. With one of the areas I specialize in the main catalog was incorrect until about 2005 when the correct info was published in the early 60's.

Steve B

ALR-bishop 07-31-2012 08:02 AM

Bakep

The 57 Bakep "variation" is another example of a printing defect that gained hobby recognition and carries a premium, even though you can find other such print defects in many sets, including the 57 set.

I like the term varieties. It sounds so much more refined than "glorified print dots" ;):)

steve B 07-31-2012 10:04 AM

Bakep was the other one I was thinking of. I haven't seen enough of them to have an idea one way or another, but it's been listed for a very long time.

Somewhere I have a copy of the Nozaki variations list. Pretty interesting considering what got listed and what was overlooked. I heard he would only list variations he personally owned or had owned. If that's true, he must have had some collection.

I also collect misprints. Some of them well beyond glorified print spots.
Most misprints only happen a few times if that.
And even the random ink spots have a different look than stuff caused by dust on the negative used to make the plate.

Those days are long gone now, it's almost entirely digital and the plates are made directly on the press.

Steve B

ALR-bishop 07-31-2012 10:39 AM

Variants

I enjoy your posts Steve. I even enjoy Doug's posts

doug.goodman 07-31-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1020747)
I enjoy your posts Steve. I even enjoy Doug's posts

I enjoy Steve's posts, too. I also enjoy Al's posts. I very much enjoy my own posts.

Gary Dunaier 07-31-2012 01:09 PM

I like Post's. I also like Kellogg's and Quaker's. All make very good cereals.

ALR-bishop 07-31-2012 01:35 PM

Cereal

Well if you like them all, try to eat more of Kellogg's and Quaker because I have some stock in Kelloggs and Pepsico but not in Post