Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starxcards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152175)

GregMitch34 06-07-2012 08:00 AM

Starxcards?

Forgive me if you talked about this at length (I don't see it via Search), but what's the story with this grading service and these folks?

glynparson 06-07-2012 08:03 AM

what grading service?

Paul seems to submit to whichever service will put the highest number on the card. Not unheard of. Too many GAI cards for my liking, though on a personal level I like Paul and think he's a nice guy doesn't mean I would buy a card from him sight unseen.

vintagetoppsguy 06-07-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1001408)
Paul seems to submit to whichever service will put the highest number on the card. Not unheard of. Too many GAI cards for my liking, though on a personal level I like Paul and think he's a nice guy doesn't mean I would buy a card from him sight unseen.

I think he's talking about somethihg else. Paul started doing his own grading a few months ago. The card is graded and placed in a toploader with a sticker that identifies the card and the grade. His grades seem to be pretty accurate to me.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1952-Topps-Ba...uY!~~60_57.JPG

GregMitch34 06-07-2012 08:55 AM

You mean the card is not slabbed--you can take it out easily and leave it raw or send to grading service? His sticker just makes it seem more "official" and valid? Do others have experience with him and accuracy of grades?

drc 06-07-2012 09:11 AM

It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed. Some big dealers do that as a form of inventory cataloging. I've gotten items like that where the sticker included a serial number, I assume for their records. Mike Wheat use to do that type of thing. They my also think it important and self-protecting for returns-- which I appreciate.

It may not be used as "grading" as we know it, but as a label for items they sell.

Jay Wolt 06-07-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 1001426)
It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed.

And I suppose this is utilized for their return policy too. A graded card when returned can be verified by the cert # on the flip.
But in a raw card transaction, both the buyer & seller are at the mercy of their honesty.
So if you were to return a card, it would have that label & still be sealed in the holder.

vintagetoppsguy 06-07-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 1001426)
It looks as if the sticker goes over the edge of a top loader, so the card is sort of sealed. Some big dealers do that as a form of inventory cataloging. I've gotten items like that where the sticker included a serial number, I assume for their records. Mike Wheat use to do that type of thing. They my also think it important and self-protecting for returns-- which I appreciate.

It may not be used as "grading" as we know it, but as a label for items they sell.

I understand what you're saying and yes, many dealers do as you described for inventory records. However, Starx is purposely grading their own cards. From their eBay description: "Starxcards grading is for the collector. It assures you that we have looked at your card with more discrimination than any other ungraded card. We strive to grade to published standards and accepted hobby norms. More than anything, we guarantee your satisfaction with a full, money-back guarantee -- something no grading company will do."

Again, there grading seems to be pretty accurate.

drc 06-07-2012 09:35 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it, though I'm not a graded card collector. If someone says they should disclose they are their cards (if that's the case), I will agree with that point.

I should add that I'm not a graded card collector, and don't take as gospel the grade in the first place.

chaddurbin 06-07-2012 09:35 AM

are the graded cards in penny sleeves? if not a NRMT card be dinged moving around in the top loader.

mintacular 06-07-2012 09:46 AM

Skeptical

Call me skeptical, slapping a guarantee on a box of crap doesn't make it not a piece of crap. What is this guy's qualifications/experience?

drc 06-07-2012 10:12 AM

As long as the label says box of crap.

sox1903wschamp 06-07-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1001436)
Call me skeptical, slapping a guarantee on a box of crap doesn't make it not a piece of crap.

Is this a Tommy Boy movie reference? If so, nicely done. Great movie! :).

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...
Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?

Pup6913 06-08-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp (Post 1001443)
Is this a Tommy Boy movie reference? If so, nicely done. Great movie! :).

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...
Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?

Funny stuff Michael

HA HA. I got you good you F^ck$r. :eek::eek:

Thats what I hear when you can remove a card from a holder