Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Santana throws no hitter !!!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=151949)

batsballsbases 06-01-2012 07:53 PM

O/T Santana throws no hitter !!!!

Wow First Met To do that ever!! 137 pitches!!

triwak 06-01-2012 07:54 PM

OT: Santana no-no

Santana throws the first no-hitter in Mets history against the Cardinals! This Cards fan sends well-deserved congrats!

RichardSimon 06-01-2012 07:58 PM

This Mets fan is ear to ear smiling :):)

GrayGhost 06-01-2012 07:59 PM

I don't like the Mets, but congrats to Johan and the Mets. FANTASTIC job for sure. Long time coming.

kkkkandp 06-01-2012 07:59 PM

Unbelievable!

After a major shoulder injury and lots of rehab - very rewarding for him.

His changeup was awesome tonight!

Leon 06-01-2012 08:01 PM

merged the 2 threads

I merged 2 threads that were started at the same time on the same thing. Congrats to the pitcher.

pgellis 06-01-2012 08:02 PM

Who cares? He issued 5 walks. How many guys gave up 1 hit and no walks or 2 hits and 1 walks, etc., etc. and got no credit..............?

FrankWakefield 06-01-2012 08:09 PM

Congrats... been a Cardinals fan since 1963. Mr. Santana deserves congratulations. Well done, even if it was against the World Champions.

batsballsbases 06-01-2012 08:10 PM

no hitter

As a die hard Yankees fan and a Met Hater I always give credit where credit is due. He looked a little tired at the end went 3-0 and came back and struck his last batter out! Phil lighten up a little and give the man some credit . Surgery,rehab, that still is great in my book! congrats!

chris6net 06-01-2012 08:12 PM

As a die hard Mets fan since 1971 I am so pumped. I never thought it was going to happen!:)

batsballsbases 06-01-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 999720)
This Mets fan is ear to ear smiling :):)

Richard,
Believe it or not I was going back and forth watching whaling wars and The mets and Yankees game! :D:D

FrankWakefield 06-01-2012 08:27 PM

Well I just read that Beltran hit a ball that third base umpire Adrian Johnson called foul as he spun away from the ball, the replay shows the ball kicking up the foul line chalk after it past third base... I couldn't find a video link, would like to see it, though. Still a great outing for Santana.

Attendance was around 27k I think, lots of empty seats. No doubt a bunch of folks had tickets and didn't go.

yanksfan09 06-01-2012 08:27 PM

Congrats from another Yankee fan here. Mets fans have waited a long time, glad it was a home game...

HOF Auto Rookies 06-01-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 999741)
Well I just read that Beltran hit a ball that third base umpire Adrian Johnson called foul as he spun away from the ball, the replay shows the ball kicking up the foul line chalk after it past third base... I couldn't find a video link, would like to see it, though. Still a great outing for Santana.

Attendance was around 27k I think, lots of empty seats. No doubt a bunch of folks had tickets and didn't go.

Yep, left a nice ball mark perfectly squared in the chalk. Love my ex-twinkie! Congrats!!!

Shoeless Moe 06-01-2012 08:43 PM

looks like this guy missed the game

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mets-Johan-N...item3f183f7d91

sago 06-01-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgellis (Post 999725)
Who cares? He issued 5 walks. How many guys gave up 1 hit and no walks or 2 hits and 1 walks, etc., etc. and got no credit..............?

Still bitter after 1986?

Go Go Mets

kmac32 06-01-2012 09:01 PM

No hitting the Cards.......awesome!!!

ullmandds 06-01-2012 09:09 PM

congrats to joann...i haven't seen any highlights yet...but he is definitely deserving and one of the best pitchers in the game...when he is healthy!

RichardSimon 06-01-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 999732)
Richard,
Believe it or not I was going back and forth watching whaling wars and The mets and Yankees game! :D:D

I taped Whale Wars and watched every minute of the game.
btw - The Japanese get their butts kicked this year by the Sea Shepherd and fled the Southern Ocean way below their kill quota.

RichardSimon 06-01-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

They are not drawing very well this year and 27K is about an average crowd.

RichardSimon 06-01-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 999747)

There are no stubs to this game or any Mets game and I had assumed around all of MLB or at least most.
You keep the full ticket and it is scanned as you enter.

RichardSimon 06-01-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 999721)
I don't like the Mets, but congrats to Johan and the Mets. FANTASTIC job for sure. Long time coming.

You don't like the Mets??
I AM GOING TO SUE YOU :D:D:D

jcmtiger 06-01-2012 10:01 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Joe

tjlives 06-01-2012 10:02 PM

Finally! Been waiting a few decades to see this one happen...

FrankWakefield 06-01-2012 10:15 PM

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/mlb...b_1&mode=video

Well this link doesn't get you there, but gets you on the way to it. Eventually you can click video, then click a down arrow to get more choices...

The umpire didn't spin, he had a good chance to see it. The ball hits the foul line beyond the third base bag, on the line. One of the announcers said "where it goes over the bag", which is incorrect. Had the ball first bounced somewhere, then that would be correct. But here it was on the fly. From looking at the box score I didn't see an ejection. The umpire blew the call. Even though I'm a Cardinal fan, I like the no replay aspect of this aspect of the game, I'm accepting of Santana getting a no hitter for his effort tonight.

tbob 06-01-2012 10:16 PM

Congratulations to Johan. He gave me a lot of thrills pitching for the Twins, couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I wonder what Bill Smith the former Twins GM who traded Santana for a bag of rock is thinking about tonight.

margoaepi 06-01-2012 10:42 PM

Was there with my wife and my dad. Had a fourth ticket I couldn't give away. Perfect evening.

Collectorsince62 06-01-2012 11:24 PM

Tainted?

Watched the entire game from St. Louis and as you can imagine, the Beltran "foul" was replayed and discussed to death. Yes, it was clearly a hit, but incorrectly called foul. Still a dominating pitching performance, especially against the leading offense in the NL, but do you think the accomplishment will be tainted because of the blown call? I think it will get some immediate attention, then be largely forgotten.

Sterling Sports Auctions 06-02-2012 12:42 AM

Is there going to be a day when these topics are put in the water cooler area? Isn't that why the section isn't set up. They are nice feats but this section is intended for Pre WWII cards topics.

These modern day feats and death notice really should go into the water cooler section.

And yes I know that if I am not interested I should not look, but that is not the point of this section of the forum.

Lee

tjb1952tjb 06-02-2012 12:57 AM

Padres...............

Still waiting for a Padres no-hitter.........none since forever (1969)......the wait continues. And, oh yeah, the Padres have NEVER had a batter hit for the cycle either. :(

barrysloate 06-02-2012 04:17 AM

I have nothing more to add other than it was a glorious game. I never thought I would see a Mets no-hitter, now the only thing left in my lifetime to see is a Cubs World Series win. That one won't happen.

The big issue during the game was Santana's pitch count. Any pitcher throwing a no-no gets to pitch beyond his normal count, but when that pitcher is your franchise guy and he's coming back from major reconstructive surgery, the decision is much harder. 134 pitches was a ton for him, wonder if Collins will give him extra days off or skip his next turn. He certainly earned it.

dabigyankeeman 06-02-2012 07:08 AM

I heard that Mayor Bloomberg wants to take away the no-hitter because in the dugout in the middle of the game Santana had a CocaCola bigger than 16ounces!!

Orioles1954 06-02-2012 08:24 AM

Of course it will go down in the books as a no-hitter but even the most die-hard Mets fan has to concede it wasn't a "real" no-hitter. It was clearly an umpire aided hit. No-Hitter*

novakjr 06-02-2012 08:38 AM

Awesome game. I'd been thinking about sitting Johan in fantasy yesterday, mostly because he was facing the Cardinals. And yesterday when they said Beltran was gonna be back in the lineup, I almost pulled the trigger. But, somehow came to the conclusion to just roll with him...Thank God!!!

Honestly, I've never been much of a fantasy guy before, but with this year's experience, I can't believe how much it enhances the enjoyment of the games..

Congrats Johan. Masterful game against probably the most explosive offense in the league...Blown call or not, Johan was just flat out on his game. Plus the Baxter catch was awesome...

ullmandds 06-02-2012 09:21 AM

Lee...r u high on pain pills again?

howard38 06-02-2012 09:23 AM

/

margoaepi 06-02-2012 10:56 AM

Geez. For a bunch of guys that wax poetic about the glory days of baseball when there was no replay and pitchers finished their games regardless of pitch counts, you sure bring out the torches quickly. How many other no hitters and other accomplishments wouldn't count if we had the technology and scrutiny we have now? Don't think any of Ruth's home runs could have been on the wrong side of the foul pole? Don't think WaJo or Matty ever benefitted from a call? C'mon. The reason we love this game is because it is human and subject to interpretation and wouldn't work if it was any other way.

ullmandds 06-02-2012 11:01 AM

Josh...nicely stated!

batsballsbases 06-02-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 999857)
lee...r u high on pain pills again?

+1 :d:d

sox1903wschamp 06-02-2012 11:09 AM

He still has a beast of a changeup.

ibuysportsephemera 06-02-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margoaepi (Post 999901)
Geez. For a bunch of guys that wax poetic about the glory days of baseball when there was no replay and pitchers finished their games regardless of pitch counts, you sure bring out the torches quickly. How many other no hitters and other accomplishments wouldn't count if we had the technology and scrutiny we have now? Don't think any of Ruth's home runs could have been on the wrong side of the foul pole? Don't think WaJo or Matty ever benefitted from a call? C'mon. The reason we love this game is because it is human and subject to interpretation and wouldn't work if it was any other way.

+1...Exactly what I was thinking reading the negative comments.

prewarsports 06-02-2012 12:20 PM

Threads like this are WAAAAAAAY better than the literally endless T206 threads so I dont have a problem with them, if you dont want to read about it dont click on the clearly identified thread title

To the game.....

At least he didn't ruin history like the Umpire in the Galarraga perfect game. We take Umpires for granted, their job is incredibly tough and I am constantly amazed at how often they are right! Nobody will remember the "hit" over time but his name will be in history books forever and I dont have a problem with that either.

pgellis 06-02-2012 05:50 PM

Q

Just explain to me how a five walk, no hit game is any better than a 1 hit, no walk , or 2 hit no walk game? Those happen every other week! Pitchers will issue walks on command instead of challenging good hitters. A 5 walk, no hitter doesn't mean much to me.

And no, I am not still bitter about 1986.............Johan was not on the 86 Mets.

rc4157 06-02-2012 06:04 PM

To me the bottom line is it was a "no hitter". You won't see too many headlines for a superbly pitched game with no walks, even if it is a great pitching performance. The no hitter will be recorded forever in the history books for future baseball fans to enjoy.
RC

packs 06-02-2012 09:29 PM

I don't understand the argument that a 1 or 2 hitter is more impressive than a no hitter. It seems like you'd have to just not like a guy.

FrankWakefield 06-02-2012 09:58 PM

When I've read about Mathewson pitching, sometimes he'd coast along and actually allow a hit or two. Sometimes he'd pitch around someone and let them walk, late in the game, with no one on, just to avoid letting the guy get a hit,or a double... I think even today, some pitchers don't get too torn up over a walk, because they're pitching all over the black of the plate and nowhere else. I recall some games John Tudor pitched, when he'd throw the ball everywhere other than down the middle. So Phil, that's one way why a no hitter with 5 walks can be better than a one hit no walk game.

I saw Mario Soto a pitch away from a no hitter in Cincy. He had a 1-0 lead in the 9th, 2 out, George Hendrick batting for the Cardinals. My recollection is that Soto quickly got 2 strikes on Silent George, then he threw up and in with Hendrick staggering back. He stepped back in, pushed his helmet down on his head, and stood with that back foot a bit past where the back of the batter's box used to be. Hendrick lined the next pitch down the left field line, barely over the fence, a clothes line shot. The air went out of the park. Reds got a run in the 9th for a 2-1 win, Soto got a complete game win and I think it was a 1 hitter...

Gary Dunaier 06-02-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

No doubt a bunch of folks had tickets and didn't go.

Unfortunately, I'm in that category. :mad: But as a season ticket holder, I have tickets to every Mets game, and it's not like I go to each and every one.

From a collecting standpoint, you guys might like to know that in an Ebay auction that ended at 10.18pm last night, one season ticket from the game, described as "mint unused," sold for $178.59 (Ebay item number 221039772073; 21 bids from 10 bidders).

margoaepi 06-03-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1000200)

From a collecting standpoint, you guys might like to know that in an Ebay auction that ended at 10.18pm last night, one season ticket from the game, described as "mint unused," sold for $178.59 (Ebay item number 221039772073; 21 bids from 10 bidders).

We always use e tickets for games and keep the season tix pristine. I plan on framing one ticket with a cut out box score and the inside photo from the Times. Glad it wasn't one of the season tickets with Wagner or Hampton or Glavine. Ojeda is fine by me.

Leon 06-03-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy (Post 999797)
Is there going to be a day when these topics are put in the water cooler area? Isn't that why the section isn't set up. They are nice feats but this section is intended for Pre WWII cards topics.

These modern day feats and death notice really should go into the water cooler section.

And yes I know that if I am not interested I should not look, but that is not the point of this section of the forum.

Lee

No. These major events are perfectly fine and appreciated on the front page.

barrysloate 06-03-2012 08:40 AM

Even if there was a strict rule that these types of posts have to be put in the watercooler section, nobody would put them there anyway. People generally don't like to follow rules. At least it was a significant achievement by Santana.