Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   what to do with a trimmed card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136136)

abothebear 04-25-2011 11:12 AM

what to do with a trimmed card

I picked up an ebay lot the other day with Fisk rookie in it. Turns out that it was trimmed. What do I do with it?

If the seller does a return of my purchase I feel somewhat uncomfortable giving back a trimmed card that might get re-sold again as normal.

And if he just refunds part of my purchase (or refused to do anything about it), what do I do with a trimmed Fisk rookie? Keep it safe? Sell it as trimmed, knowing it could be resold again as legit?

Thanks.

k-dog 04-25-2011 11:51 AM

Maybe a candidate to be autographed at some point.

bobbyw8469 04-25-2011 01:00 PM

Who exactly says it is trimmed? Does it looked trimmed to you? I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you. I had a 1934 Lou Gehrig card that one grading company claim was trimmed get authenticated as "not trimmed" by another grading company. Both companies are in the top 3 grading companies.

abothebear 04-25-2011 01:24 PM

Well, in this case it looks pretty obvious. I put it over another 1972 card and it is significantly smaller both top-bottom and across. The most frustrating thing about the whole experience was that someone else pointed it out to me. It is definitely trimmed, and not even a good trim job.

To give an update, - the seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the card, so that was pretty cool. A this point I suppose I'll just hold onto it and keep it out of the marketplace.

bobbyw8469 04-25-2011 02:05 PM

Well, it is obviously real, just trimmed. Send it off to SGC and they will slab it and give it the "A" label. That was the card is protected. I recently sold a Clemente rookie that looked like a '6', but was trimmed for $350. It was graded in the above mentioned aspect by SGC.

abothebear 04-25-2011 02:11 PM

Good idea, If I ever get an SGC order together I'll toss it in there.

ls7plus 04-25-2011 04:02 PM

I purchased a 1935 Diamond Stars Foxx in the early '90's raw, before grading really took hold, and it turned out to be trimmed. It had a NMt appearance, and I'd paid $400 for it at a Chicago area show. I kept it anyway, because I collect Foxx as one of my favorites. PSA agreed to slab it as "authentic, trimmed" in 2009, and it does look quite nice. It measures correctly, but upon closer examination of the edges with a loupe, you can see that it probably was put partially through a paper press, as the top two corners have a pinched appearance at the edges, then trimmed back to correct size. I prefer to keep it as part of my collection without regard to value. I really haven't been concerned with replacing it with a non-altered example.

Insofar as the Fisk is concerned, I really like the idea of eventually getting it autographed, then perhaps slabbed by PSA/DNA, but don't know what the cost of that service is. An autographed Fisk rookie would always be a neat item, with some value over time.

Robert, glad to hear you made out that well with the Clemente. Maybe my Foxx might eventually be worth what I paid for it!

Just my 2 cents, and hope this helps with your decision.

Larry

abothebear 04-25-2011 07:28 PM

I am not fretting about it too much, I didn't pay much for it, and I got my money back anyway. It is curiosity about what to do with it now. Since I did get my money back I feel better about just holding on to it for 20+ years and seeing if a market develops for trimmed Fisks. I doubt it, since there are so many and still will be so many 20 years from now, but it will be cool to have in the ranks anyway. Ironically, this is the 2nd time I have been burned on ebay, and both times it was a Fisk rookie. The first was my fault for not reading the listing carefully, and the 2nd was the sellers fault, but an accident.

Big Six 05-01-2011 07:52 AM

Get it autographed. I have Fisks address if you like...he signs for a charity for $60. Then get it slabbed and you've got a nice item!

abothebear 05-01-2011 03:10 PM

That would be a fun idea, but I don't have $60. Thanks for the offer of his address anyway.