Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Real or fake? Local auctioneer edition (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131657)

RobertGT 01-05-2011 04:16 PM

Real or fake? Local auctioneer edition

Auctioneer in the Poconos claims to have authentic signed balls by Ruth, Cobb and Clemente and other rare memorabilia such as a 1927 World Series program.

Scan down about half-way in the photo gallery for the baseball-related items.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...seball%20cards

thxforthebp 01-05-2011 05:40 PM

Not a fan of the Ruth ball at all after seeing some fake german WWII items mixed in there. Auctions are always as is.
I saw some other fake high end cards pop up in this area as well as some coaches corner junk at auctions within a 50 mi radius of poconos so I would steer clear....just my 2 cents.

slidekellyslide 01-05-2011 06:07 PM

I can't say one way or the other whether the autos are real, but there is a lot of great stuff in that auction. Wish it were near me.

thetruthisoutthere 01-05-2011 07:14 PM

Roach's Corner

Quote:

Originally Posted by thxforthebp (Post 860555)
Not a fan of the Ruth ball at all after seeing some fake german WWII items mixed in there. Auctions are always as is.
I saw some other fake high end cards pop up in this area as well as some coaches corner junk at auctions within a 50 mi radius of poconos so I would steer clear....just my 2 cents.

I totally agree. I bet there's a connection between them.

oriolesbb6 01-05-2011 07:17 PM

Auction

I posted in previous thread the Ruth auto, to a mixed consesus. I am about 3o miles from the auction but we have an auction at our facility same day..I know we are skeptical of any undocumented autos with good reason, so as an estae auction states-Sold where is as is.....Check the language of how each item is described, I have not-Does it state authentic? or marked/signed-the CYA of sorts in the auction business.

Scott Garner 01-05-2011 08:17 PM

Now that Roaches Corner got dropped by SCD, maybe they need to open new target opportunities?? :rolleyes:

IronHorse2130 01-06-2011 12:51 PM

Looks like a mixed bag of stuff. Some of the military items are good while others certainly look like repros. It would be nice if there were additional photos of some of these items.

Shoeless Moe 01-06-2011 01:35 PM

I like their last line on the Jackson ball....."Wow sums up this ball".

They should have gone with...."Fake sums up this ball".

Whoops this was meant to be on the Coachers Corner thread....sorry. Disregard.

Heritage Sports 01-07-2011 11:19 AM

Don't want to give away the services of our contracted authentication firms for free, but those of you familiar with Heritage will know the autograph services we use, and the one we asked confirmed in no uncertain terms that the Ruth was NG. Great work by the forger though...

cubsguy1969 01-09-2011 02:32 PM

Just wondering if anyone went to this auction? I'd given it some thought, but it's a bit of a haul from where I live on Long Island. Plus the fact that everyone seemed to think the Ruth is a forgery scared me away. That would have been out of my price range anyway, but maybe some of the lesser items could have been gotten for a decent price. But if the Ruth's fake, makes you wonder what else is.
I thought some of the non-sports stuff looked interesting. Maybe some bargains in there if you know what you're doing.
Anyone go?
Rob

oriolesbb6 01-09-2011 03:07 PM

Stayed Clear

It is always possible to get a bargain at an auction however, way too much going here.

vintagesportflips 01-09-2011 07:36 PM

auction

I went to the auction, and picked up a couple of pieces. Prices weren't very cheap on the sports items in general, but there were some bargains I thought. The Ruth ball which didn't look good went for 5K via absentee bid, with 1 bid in the room. My dad and I picked up 1 Cobb piece (the Cobb signed pamphlet). I thought the Cobb signed pieces looked good in person, but I am by no means an auto expert.

cubsguy1969 01-09-2011 07:52 PM

Congratulations. I hope the Cobb turns out to be good.

I thought some of the non-sports stuff looked very interesting. I would have probably gone with the idea looking for stuff I could flip. Oh well. I enjoyed the Saturday at home with my 7-year-old son. :)