Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cool To Haggle on Ebay? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130986)

sandmountainslim 12-18-2010 10:08 PM

Cool To Haggle on Ebay?

Is it cool to make an offer on ebay even if it doesn't have "make an offer"?

I am interested in this roughed up Shipke card but it is a little rougher than even I normally collect so I can't see giving the full askin price for it (granted it isnt much)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

I have bought six cards from this seller so I was thinking maybe it wouldn't offend him if I made him an offer a couple bucks lower than what he is asking.

What say ye men? Is it kosher or should I just buy the thing as is and not worry with haggling the guy.
Thanks
Wp

jb217676 12-18-2010 10:18 PM

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't haggle on a card with a BIN of $9.95. It's not worth the sellers time and you probably wouldn't even get a response. If it was $995.00 I would haggle for sure!

sandmountainslim 12-18-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 856368)
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't haggle on a card with a BIN of $9.95. It's not worth the sellers time and you probably wouldn't even get a response. If it was $995.00 I would haggle for sure!

Valid opinion and U are likely right.
I am a Dollar General Loyalist and lifetime bargain seeker but....prob not worth the hassle to either of us for a couple dinar.
Wp

mintacular 12-18-2010 10:39 PM

Wow

Wow, that card is beat. In terms of price, unless he had 10 like this and you shot him an email saying I'll take all 10 for $7/ea. then you should not haggle on just one card IMO. One thing you might do is buy the card as a BIN and then if he has other cards w/Best offer send a tasty offer and maybe the guy would accept a somewhat low offer since you already bought a card at full price plus they could combine shipping. Think about it at this sellers pov which is that their basement for T cards and assuming at the very best he got this card for $5 and considering his time + fees = $3 then if he drops it to your offer what's the point--where's the profit margin?

I can't remember if you are one of the new collectors but if you are I would decide very, very early on what condition you like & can afford and do not stray below that line as you will inevitably end up wanting to upgrade that card and will likely breakeven or worse if you buy lesser grade at first and then decide later to upgrade....In my mind, for T206 gd/vg are nice enough for eye appeal and fall into that affordable zone of $20ish/common....

In short, you don't want to be that guy at the flea market that asks "Do you have change for a nickel?"

dabigyankeeman 12-19-2010 07:47 AM

On Cyber Monday i bought a card on Ebay with a BIN price of $120, but first I emailed the dealer (who i have bought a lot from) and asked him if he could give a Cyber Monday discount for an old customer, and he took 10% off the price for me.:)

sandmountainslim 12-19-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman (Post 856405)
On Cyber Monday i bought a card on Ebay with a BIN price of $120, but first I emailed the dealer (who i have bought a lot from) and asked him if he could give a Cyber Monday discount for an old customer, and he took 10% off the price for me.:)

Great Job!
I have bought six cards in the past month from this vendor which is the only reason I would even think of askin him to take a cut.
Wp

Exhibitman 12-19-2010 10:38 AM

Depends.

--Haggling on a sub-$10 card is asking for a "FU" in response.

--Generally, on a fixed price item if I want a Best Offer I ask for one.

--Also depends on the seller's attitude towards haggling as expressed in the listing. I've taken to posting the following in my listings when I am not interested in haggling: "Please do not email me complaining about the price, trying to negotiate it down, etc. I am not interested in making a deal. If the item doesn't sell for what I offered it for, I am happy to keep it. Likewise, I respect your opinions regarding the items I post, but just because you are entitled to have opinions doesn’t mean that I am entitled to have your opinions. If you want to dialogue, visit a chat board; this is my place of business."---too hostile??

sandmountainslim 12-19-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 856444)
too hostile??

Nah, It's just speakin' plain. Im sure the ebay buyers dig your rap.

Ya know at times I am tempted to haggle even in the grocery store ;)
Wp

bbcard1 12-19-2010 02:47 PM

There's a card on ther with a BIN at $45 that I think is worth about $30...but I really want it so I might just hold my nose and do it.

buymycards 12-19-2010 06:04 PM

offers

I have quite a few items on the bay, and most of them are BIN with Best Offer, and most of the items are under ten bucks. I would rather sell something quick for a couple of bucks less than to sit on it for a year. If I had a card that was this damaged I would be thankful for a $5 offer. If I spent a buck for the card and a buck for fees, I still make $3, which isn't a lot but the three dollar bills add up over time.

Rick