Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   MLB and Expansion where do you Stand (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330137)

mrreality68 01-10-2023 11:02 AM

MLB and Expansion where do you Stand

With Talk of MLB wanting to expand to 32 teams (no timeline yet) and with Mattingly joining the Nashville Group in an advisory capacity.

Or should they not even expand

So a Two Part Question

1, What Cities would you think would be the best for 2 new teams (NOT TALKING RELOCATION) out of these?
1. Nashville
2. Charlotte
3. Portland
4. Montreal
5. Las Vegas
6. Mexico city

2. With the new Teams there would be 32 teams total. How would align the Teams and the divisions and the League

ie would you go each League have 4 Divisions and each Divisions 4 Teams (if so what teams in what divisions)?
Do you keep the existing divisions and move some teams?
Do you just add the 2 teams to an existing division or divisions? if so where?

D. Bergin 01-10-2023 12:33 PM

I'm pretty ambivalent about expansion. Don't see the point, but understand that as long as these leagues are making money, and just the act of a team existing, automatically makes it a multi-billion dollar property, makes it all pretty inevitable to me.

I'd probably pick Portland and Nashville out of the cities listed.

Portland's basketball arena seems like one of the most lively places in the league. I think the team would be supported locally, but the weather and stadium configuration might factor into a decision.

Nashville just seems to make sense, being an Entertainment mecca already, and a healthy distance away from other competitors.

Don't really have an opinion on Charlotte. Las Vegas just seems gross to me LOL, but is probably the most likely place for it to happen.

Montreal consistently drew the lowest attendance in the league last time they had a team, so I think that's a no go right away.

Mexico City is interesting, especially with baseballs Latin American influence, but it seems like it would be a logistical nightmare, that I doubt MLB wants to take on.

packs 01-10-2023 12:37 PM

If I were choosing I'd say Portland and Montreal.

Charlotte is a dead city. Don't see MLB getting involved in Las Vegas despite the NFL and NHL being willing to. Nashville is firmly entrenched football country and I don't see how it could work out having a team in Mexico City.

I love Mexico City as a tourist but it seems like there are invariably going to be challenges with having a team there.

BobbyStrawberry 01-10-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2302958)
If I were choosing I'd say Portland and Montreal.

+1

Rad_Hazard 01-10-2023 12:40 PM

Definitely Portland and Montreal.

Snapolit1 01-10-2023 02:58 PM

Out of that list the only one that really grabs me is Montreal.

Shoeless Moe 01-10-2023 04:38 PM

Portland is one of the "shithole" cities, no way to there.

Can Oklahoma support a team? Maybe call them the Mickeys, in honor of their hometown legend.

Or maybe New Orleans/Kentucky/Tennessee area. Nothing currently there.

Casey2296 01-10-2023 06:04 PM

1. Havana Cuba
2. Louisville KY
3. Austin TX
4. Albuquerque NM

Havana Cuba would be the clear choice, those games would be sold out for decades, can't charge those folks a lot to get in as they don't have much money but there is not a more rabid baseball town. The international implications for the sport would be tremendous and would cement baseballs popularity in the South American/Caribbean nations.

clydepepper 01-10-2023 07:41 PM

Havana and Montreal.

They would result in the highest attendance.

That said, I do not want more expansion...talent pool gets further watered down...no thanks.

rats60 01-10-2023 07:58 PM

Charlotte and Portland. I would like to see them go back to 2 divisions with 8 teams each.

Rad_Hazard 01-10-2023 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2303030)
Portland is one of the "shithole" cities, no way to there.

Can Oklahoma support a team? Maybe call them the Mickeys, in honor of their hometown legend.

Or maybe New Orleans/Kentucky/Tennessee area. Nothing currently there.

Portland is a really nice city. I have extended family that lives there so I am fortunate enough to visit often. That area of Oregon is extremely beautiful and the Oregon coast is one of the nicest stretches of land I've ever visited.

BobbyStrawberry 01-10-2023 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2303113)
Portland is a really nice city. I have extended family that lives there so I am fortunate enough to visit often. That area of Oregon is extremely beautiful and the Oregon coast is one of the nicest stretches of land I've ever visited.

+1 on Portland. In addition to the natural beauty, great food/nightlife, arts/entertainment, and one of the best public transit systems in the country

Shoeless Moe 01-11-2023 10:10 AM

Not saying the rest of Oregon isn't nice, but no way to Portland.

1 sports team out of 4 sports, so what's the reason it's not 3 or 4 out of 4 like most cities?

700 homeless encampments. Sounds lovely.

Maybe they could have Homeless Day - free attendance for all the squatters.

butchie_t 01-11-2023 10:15 AM

Firmly in the no category. 30 teams is more than enough. Baseball has a season and it should not further impinge into the football season. As it is now, it goes too late into the fall.

We don't need a Mr. November....

D. Bergin 01-11-2023 10:16 AM

I say we put 2 baseball teams in Portland. :D

BobbyStrawberry 01-11-2023 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2303244)
I say we put 2 baseball teams in Portland. :D

Or one in Oregon and one in Maine ?

mrreality68 01-11-2023 10:29 AM

I would love to see two teams added

The ones I listed were ones that keep coming up and mentioned in articles and/or have some type of movement trying to get their cities teams.

I would like to See a teams that are bit spread out from each other (so No charlotte and Nashville). No Los Vegas and Portland

I would love to see Mexico City but not sure if logistically and the height above see level might be issues.

So I would go with Nashville and Portland.

packs 01-11-2023 10:49 AM

How can someone interested in baseball history be against a team in Portland? That’s PCL royalty and there’s always been baseball in that town.

D. Bergin 01-11-2023 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2303246)
Or one in Oregon and one in Maine ?

HaHa, I'd love to see an MLB team in Portland, Maine. Sea Dogs have a nice park I'd like to get to some day when I'm in the area.

They'd just have to get the whole town to show up, to sell out a Major League stadium.

https://cdn.elebase.io/dbcc75a2-4b9f...7a5f9dcf7d.jpg

nolemmings 01-11-2023 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2303259)
How can someone interested in baseball history be against a team in Portland? That’s PCL royalty and there’s always been baseball in that town.

Don't you understand? We can't have a team in a city where there's a homeless problem. Oh, the horror!!!!

packs 01-11-2023 11:07 AM

Where do the Tigers play again? How about the Giants? Or Yankees and Mets? Those must be really nice places.

Casey2296 01-11-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2303269)
Where do the Tigers play again? How about the Giants? Or Yankees and Mets? Those must be really nice places.

The Giants play at a great Stadium in shitholistan, it's a shame how the people in charge have let that City degrade.

packs 01-11-2023 11:45 AM

The stadium is on the wharf. It's beautiful over there. Who considers the wharf a bad area? Nobody. And that's the point. If there was a stadium in Portland, where do you think it would be built?

judsonhamlin 01-11-2023 12:48 PM

Has Vancouver been on any lists?

Shoeless Moe 01-11-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2303276)
The stadium is on the wharf. It's beautiful over there. Who considers the wharf a bad area? Nobody. And that's the point. If there was a stadium in Portland, where do you think it would be built?

Hopefully right on top of the Homeless.

Shoeless Moe 01-11-2023 05:12 PM

Put a 2nd one in St Louis.

Browns & Cardinals co-existed for a long time.

Rad_Hazard 01-11-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2303372)

There are homeless everywhere, it’s issue all over the US. Portland is not unique in that aspect. We have homeless encampments provided by the city in my town as well and I live in Montana. How many times have you been to Portland? It’s a beautiful city, and would be a great place for an MLB team.

BobbyStrawberry 01-11-2023 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2303372)

Yes, mass murder of society's "undesirables' - that's never not worked out well

JustinD 01-12-2023 03:17 PM

I feel like there are already too many teams due to the last expansion. All the other leagues also grew too large with the mass teal and purple team creation of the 90's.

If anything I would add a team back to Montreal and another to Vancouver to grow the western Canadian market. Way better for an ownership group than adding another team to the west coast US market to get a lack of local government support and just move to Las Vegas eventually.

D. Bergin 01-12-2023 04:10 PM

Maybe there were legitimate reasons, such as ownership apathy that I don't quite remember very well, but it seems like everybody wants a team back in Montreal. Yet if you go back and look at the attendance numbers the last 10 seasons or so that the Expos were in that city, they are either at the bottom of the league or next to the bottom in the league every year.

I mean, I want an NHL franchise back in Hartford...but I know damn well that ain't going to happen in my lifetime or the next.

Seven 01-12-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2303642)
I feel like there are already too many teams due to the last expansion. All the other leagues also grew too large with the mass teal and purple team creation of the 90's.

Could not agree more. We've expanded way too much. I understand wanting to provide teams for geographical areas without one, but I think things have gotten a little excessive. 26 Teams was more than enough in the early 90s.

mrreality68 01-13-2023 04:33 AM

Expansion is going to happen at somepoint

More games more revenue

Expansion means expansion fees. They are talking each expansion would be over $2.5 Billion dollars that gets divided by the other owners

All about the money

JustinD 01-13-2023 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2303773)
Expansion is going to happen at somepoint

More games more revenue

Expansion means expansion fees. They are talking each expansion would be over $2.5 Billion dollars that gets divided by the other owners

All about the money

Oh, I agree it’s coming down the tracks even though I am against it. Cash rules all.

The dislike of expansion and what I feel is the watering down of all professional talent just had to be mentioned in my answer as a true feeling.

My options are due to the understanding it is likely it is an inevitable are just Canadian as if I am taking another stab to the back on this, I prefer to add in our northern neighbors. Living in Detroit changes perception of Canada seeming out of reach, those are my southern neighbors in Ontario, lol.

Just please jesus, demand all new teams can’t have the same trendy colors for the year at launch…:cool:

Chicosbailbonds 01-13-2023 09:29 PM

I would have no problem with a team in Tenn or Charlotte, Montreal also.