Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay delivery services (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347064)

the 'stache 03-04-2024 10:18 PM

eBay delivery services

I did a search on this, and couldn’t find an answer (although the forum search on Taptalk is a bit wonky, so if this has been previously addressed, my apologies).

I’ve been buying on eBay for years. Today I saw something for the first time. I bought an ungraded ‘57 Topps Joe Adcock for the Braves team set I’m building-it’s not super expensive, only $26 with shipping.

Anyway, tracking says the card was delivered at 10:40 this morning. The rest of the mail was in the box, but Mr. Adcock was conspicuous in his absence.

For the tracking, it says “eBay delivery services”, and gives an alphanumeric code that is too short to be the USPS.

Is this just eBay partnering with the USPS to provide a less expensive form of shipping for flat collectibles?

I’m going to give it a couple days before submitting an inquiry in eBay, just to see if it comes in, as post office drivers sometimes mark a package as delivered before they get to it, but knowing definitively who handles the shipment locally would allow me to contact them directly. I’ve had a couple packages delivered to the wrong address, and the local USPS office was able to track them down via GPS technology. But that wouldn’t be applicable with reduced shipping, would it?

As I work on the ‘57 set, and get a lot of individual cards in the mail, it’s likely that this issue will present again. And, maybe someone in the same predicament can benefit from the answers here.

Is there anything you guys would recommend I do in the interim?

Thank you!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...313f15e326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2024 05:20 AM

Wait a day or two to see if it arrives first. If not, make a strong effort to have your local post office track it down. In the end, if still nothing, contact eBay and let them know about the efforts you made with the local post office and hope they side with you and issue a refund.

Aug06 03-05-2024 05:26 AM

This is happening A LOT to me the past few month. Ill get a notification my item was delivered and then i don't actually receive it for 1-2 days later....sometimes even longer. It only happens with me when the seller sends in a PWE. If they send in padded envelope with valid tracking i have never had an issue.

vintagebaseballcardguy 03-05-2024 05:59 AM

I don't think you need to worry. I've learned this is how it works with these things. When mine say "delivered," I now know that means the envelope has been delivered to my post office/zip code, and it will be in my mail box the next day. I don't blame you for questioning this. I did the same thing the first couple of times. Nice card btw.

sonnyu2 03-05-2024 06:42 AM

It was shipped via Ebay's Standard Envelope service. Which is commonly used for any cards that sell for $20 or less.

That service is not tracked like other mail services, so those shipments are marked as "Delivered" when they are scanned at the local destination sorting center - not when they are actually delivered. They are usually actually delivered within a day or two after the "Delivered" scan, so nothing to worry about.

jayshum 03-05-2024 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnyu2 (Post 2417428)
It was shipped via Ebay's Standard Envelope service. Which is commonly used for any cards that sell for $20 or less.

That service is not tracked like other mail services, so those shipments are marked as "Delivered" when they are scanned at the local destination sorting center - not when they are actually delivered. They are usually actually delivered within a day or two after the "Delivered" scan, so nothing to worry about.

I have seen the same behavior as described here and usually the card has been delivered the next day after it shows delivered in the tracking. It was a little concerning the first few times it happened, but so far, I have not had a problem with a card not showing up eventually.

Eggoman 03-05-2024 06:51 AM

The Seller should NOT have been able to generate an "Ebay's Standard Envelope" label if the card was in excess of $20...

I STILL think it will arrive in a couple of days, tho...

I use the eBay Standard Envelope OFTEN an occasionally get contacted from my Buyers as well...

Good Luck!

sonnyu2 03-05-2024 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggoman (Post 2417432)
The Seller should NOT have been able to generate an "Ebay's Standard Envelope" label if the card was in excess of $20...

I STILL think it will arrive in a couple of days, tho...

I use the eBay Standard Envelope OFTEN an occasionally get contacted from my Buyers as well...

Good Luck!

Looks like the card was sold at $20 exactly, plus shipping and taxes. ESE is still available since the item price was $20. They do not factor in the shipping or taxes for the amount in order to use the service.

jayshum 03-05-2024 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnyu2 (Post 2417438)
Looks like the card was sold at $20 exactly, plus shipping and taxes. ESE is still available since the item price was $20. They do not factor in the shipping or taxes for the amount in order to use the service.

I thought the reason for the ESE shipping was to have a low cost option for shipping cards $20 and under. If the total was $26 including tax and shipping, then it sounds like the seller overcharged for shipping if he used the ESE option.

Mrc32 03-05-2024 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnyu2 (Post 2417428)

This is correct. It is scanned at the sorting center. So give it a day or two and it will show.