Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How could PSA make a mistake like this on a Babe Ruth Exhibit Card?????? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196761)

whiteymet 11-11-2014 10:45 AM

How could PSA make a mistake like this on a Babe Ruth Exhibit Card??????

Hi All:

Just saw this Exhibit reprint card of Babe Ruth on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-BABE-RU...item339881aba8

How in the world could PSA label this as a 1948 Exhibit card when it is CLEARLY a reprint?

I am not a graded guy, so I don't know, but does PSA have a way to contact them to point out such things so they can correct the errors? Or do they not want to hear about it?

Fred

frankh8147 11-11-2014 01:00 PM

I think that's a 1977 Exhibit..still, it's a big mistake.

swarmee 11-11-2014 01:24 PM

You can send them a message...

to info@psacard.com and let them know of their error. They should attempt to recover this and put in a proper flip. If someone buys this card and then finds out it's worth $20, they're liable for the difference.

MattyC 11-11-2014 01:33 PM

More proof that the "professional" graders can get it very, very wrong. Passionate collectors' eyes trump the TPGs time and again. Too often the TPGs and their subjective opinions are put on a pedestal.

Buythatcard 11-11-2014 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't know the difference until I just did some research. I've attached a copy of the real deal. Two things you will notice is that the caption on the bottom is different and the bottom border below the bats has two lines on the real card and the reprint has one. The pillars are also different.

whiteymet 11-12-2014 10:22 PM

Somebody got taken!!

I contacted the seller to tell him he had a repro card in the PSA holder.

Never heard back from him.

Looks like the card sold for $700!!!

Someone got taken. And now with ebay hiding bidders/winners "handle" no way to contact the buyer to let him know.

Sad.

Guess I should have bought it and made PSA pay the difference!

Leon 11-13-2014 08:19 AM

That is a shame. I dare anyone to post this on the CU board :).

edjs 11-13-2014 08:30 AM

Just a thought on this, I don't know if it could be done or not, but is there a chance that a real card was submitted and graded, then the fake swapped out in the holder and sold?

Pat R 11-13-2014 09:09 AM

jason.1969 11-13-2014 09:53 AM

I know it's not what happened here but I worry we are nearing the day when even experts will cease to be able to distinguish real from fake.

whiteymet 11-13-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1343991)
That is a shame. I dare anyone to post this on the CU board :).

Leon:

Since I am not a graded guy or on CU what are the "politics" involved?

What would happen if someone did post this on CU? I am curious.

Fred

sbfinley 11-15-2014 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1344051)
Leon:

Fred

In before the poof. Be careful what you say.... big daddy is listening.

Leon 11-15-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1344051)
Leon:

Fred

See Sbfinley's response above. IF anyone on that board brings up something that is derogatory or shows something PSA did wrong, it gets deleted. That fact, and the fact they let trolls on their board, led me to no longer participate there. There are some good guys on that board, of course, but the way it is run isn't something I want to be a part of. To each their own and I am sure some folks say that about this place too :). If I am not mistaking, even mentioning this board over there will get a thread deleted. Happy collecting...

PowderedH2O 11-15-2014 07:12 AM

Leon speaks the truth. I have seen threads that were several years old with literally hundreds (or thousands) of messages get completely deleted because a person made a slam against PSA or questioned their integrity. I still use the board, but not nearly as much as I did several years ago.

Perhaps this sort of mistake is why PSA still won't grade the football exhibits. Maybe they really don't have anyone that can legitimately tell the difference between real, fake, and reprint on these.

whiteymet 11-15-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1344609)
Leon speaks the truth. I have seen threads that were several years old with literally hundreds (or thousands) of messages get completely deleted because a person made a slam against PSA or questioned their integrity. I still use the board, but not nearly as much as I did several years ago.

Perhaps this sort of mistake is why PSA still won't grade the football exhibits. Maybe they really don't have anyone that can legitimately tell the difference between real, fake, and reprint on these.

Thanks for the info guys. Had no idea

Re them not grading Exhibit Football cards, it seems strange, because as far as I know there have never been any reprint Exhibit FB cards..... (scratching head)