Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is This Really Babe Ruth? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244435)

mantlefan 09-02-2017 01:21 PM

Is This Really Babe Ruth?

I was going through some of my oddball Babe cards and came across this one. It's a 1935 Muratti cigarette card of Babe and Olympic diver, Dorothy Boynton. The card back mentions that in 1928 Dorothy, a diver, was 14 and the youngest athlete ever to win an Olympic medal. It states that she won the 1932 Gold for diving in LA. The photo is presumably from the 1932 Olympics. Not a word about the Babe though. He seems kind of slim to be Babe and I think the nose is wrong. Also, the Olympics in LA ran July 30, 1932 to August 14, 1932. Wouldn't Babe be playing ball then?

http://i.imgur.com/pdCaV4B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yqU8oCo.jpg

Or could the man be Dorothy's coach, Ernie Brandsten?

http://i.imgur.com/7JRWMqB.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YGWwmpw.jpg

Babe in 1932:

http://i.imgur.com/nImuMiC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bQBx94m.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Fw8SjnY.jpg

Any ideas?

frankbmd 09-02-2017 01:41 PM

Ruth played in only 133 games in 1932, but appears in every Yankee box score from 7/31 thru 8/14 during the Olympics. The closest he got to LA was a series of road games in St Louis during that interval.

The Yankees did not play the Angels in 1932 either.:D

I'm not very good with ears and noses as ENT was not my specialty.

A photograph of Ernie in a bow tie could be helpful.

You may be right.

drcy 09-02-2017 02:42 PM

Doesn't look like Ruth to me. My pick is the coach.

irv 09-02-2017 02:50 PM

This has been brought up before, and, IIRC, it was the general consensus that this wasn't Babe Ruth.

irishdenny 09-02-2017 03:16 PM

He Looks More Like "The Whammer"
From "The Natural"

I'm not accustomed to the Written Language on the Back
Howevar, I Don't See "Ruth's" Name Mentioned!?
So? Who was the marketing genius fir PSA This Time Around?
Has Anybody Evar Seen This Card Labeled Wit out Mr. Ruth Mention'd?

JollyElm 09-02-2017 03:47 PM

No discussion is required. It is beyond self evident that that fellow is NOT Babe Ruth. I mean, come on!!

horzverti 09-02-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697172)
No discussion is required. It is beyond self evident that that fellow is NOT Babe Ruth. I mean, come on!!

Often Darren gets too excited and goes well over the top what could be a normal response. So here is a translation:

"No discussion required" = why is OP wasting my time?

"beyond self evident" = why is OP wasting my time?

"I mean, come on" = why is the OP wasting my time?

Darren we're going to need to see some smiley face emojis in the future to help us determine if you are actually being funny or if you are just being yourself.

Back to the thread...in my opinion, most likely not Ruth.

Steve D 09-02-2017 04:11 PM

I think we have a match:

http://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/new...re-id530863020

Question is, how did both PSA and Beckett get it into their heads that Babe Ruth is pictured on that card? There are currently three different PSA graded copies, and one BVG graded copy on ebay.

Steve

JollyElm 09-02-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1697179)
Often Darren gets too excited and goes well over the top what could be a normal response. So here is a translation:

"No discussion required" = why is OP wasting my time?

"beyond self evident" = why is OP wasting my time?

"I mean, come on" = why is the OP wasting my time?

Darren we're going to need to see some smiley face emojis in the future to help us determine if you are actually being funny or if you are just being yourself.

Back to the thread...in my opinion, most likely not Ruth.

Screw off!!!!:p;):D:o:):(:confused::mad::rolleyes::cool: :eek:

swarmee 09-02-2017 04:25 PM

I sent a message to the setregistry email to have it removed from the Master and Super Set registries at PSA.

D. Bergin 09-02-2017 05:48 PM

So the question becomes; How many people paid Babe Ruth money for that card, and how many people paid Ernst Brandsten money for that card?

:D

horzverti 09-02-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697184)
Screw off!!!!:p;):D:o:):(:confused::mad::rolleyes::cool: :eek:

Screw off? Really?...but I agreed with you that it probably isn't Ruth. Ohhhhhhh...I get it...the translation thing. I see. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that you may not be trying to be a dick, you just come off like you are a dick. What I am trying to communicate is that you don't have to try to be a dick. It just comes naturally for you. How do I know this? I can read. I have been able to read for years.

I feel more strongly now that the guy shown on the card is not Ruth.

Fballguy 09-02-2017 05:59 PM

Nothing gets by PSA. :rolleyes:

JollyElm 09-02-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1697196)
Screw off? Really?...but I agreed with you that it probably isn't Ruth. Ohhhhhhh...I get it...the translation thing. I see. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that you may not be trying to be a dick, you just come off like you are a dick. What I am trying to communicate is that you don't have to try to be a dick. It just comes naturally for you. How do I know this? I can read. I have been able to read for years.

I feel more strongly now that the guy shown on the card is not Ruth.

Go f-ck yourself, Curt. How's that for translation, dick??

horzverti 09-02-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697209)
Go f-ck yourself, Curt. How's that for translation, dick??

Hey look at this, Darren actually made a trade! We traded insults, but we can call it a trade. See that wasn't so "stupid tough", was it?

Sorry to the OP Frank (mantlefan) for the derailing of the thread. All my fault. Still not Ruth and flips should be corrected.

JollyElm 09-02-2017 07:35 PM

For context, little boy Curt is upset that he couldn't talk me out of one of my PSA 8 1973 Kaline variations with the Band Aid on his forehead. So he waits a couple of months, sees me in this thread, and suddenly decides to type away insults at me out of nowhere. I thought this d-bag was just playing around, but then I was like, "What the heck??"

EvilKing00 09-02-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1697181)
I think we have a match:

Question is, how did both PSA and Beckett get it into their heads that Babe Ruth is pictured on that card? There are currently three different PSA graded copies, and one BVG graded copy on ebay.

Steve

great link!

horzverti 09-02-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697229)
For context, little boy Curt is upset that he couldn't talk me out of one of my PSA 8 1973 Kaline variations with the Band Aid on his forehead. So he waits a couple of months, sees me in this thread, and suddenly decides to type away insults at me out of nowhere. I thought this d-bag was just playing around, but then I was like, "What the heck??"

First off, we're both little boys...we collect baseball cards. Second, it was a raw Kaline, not graded. Two messages into our trade attempt and I quickly realized what others had shared with me - Darren is tough to deal with because he over values his cards. They're your cards and you can value them as you wish. No problem there. Let me guess - you still have all of your 73 Kaline variations. My problem is that you were very rude in your replies...out of nowhere. It was my mistake to try to deal with you after I was warned; but I wasn't going to let you insult me. Also, I didn't just see you post in this thread. I see many of your rude posts. It is a pattern. A pattern which forced Leon to ban you. You have deep knowledge of variations and on cards in general. The fact that you share your knowledge here makes you an asset. The fact that you are a thin-skinned hothead makes you a troll and a liability.

JollyElm 09-02-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1697240)
First off, we're both little boys...we collect baseball cards. Second, it was a raw Kaline, not graded. Two messages into our trade attempt and I quickly realized what others had shared with me - Darren is tough to deal with because he over values his cards. They're your cards and you can value them as you wish. No problem there. Let me guess - you still have all of your 73 Kaline variations. My problem is that you were very rude in your replies...out of nowhere. It was my mistake to try to deal with you after I was warned; but I wasn't going to let you insult me. Also, I didn't just see you post in this thread. I see many of your rude posts. It is a pattern. A pattern which forced Leon to ban you. You have deep knowledge of variations and on cards in general. The fact that you share your knowledge here makes you an asset. The fact that you are a thin-skinned hothead makes you a troll and a liability.

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! It is hilarious listening to you condescend to me. What a joke. Why don't you tell me how I over value my cards? Didn't I specifically make a point of NOT putting a dollar value on the Kaline and telling you I just wanted something substantial in return for it? Um...yeah. And I was banned for a couple of days, moron, because I used curse words. That's it. And I was responding to someone, who like you, came after me. Oh, I'm a thin skinned hot head?? Really?? You suddenly call me a dick 100 times in a thread completely and utterly out of nowhere, and I'm the problem here?? What an absolute freaking tool you are!!!!!

horzverti 09-02-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697251)
Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! It is hilarious listening to you condescend to me. What a joke. Why don't you tell me how I over value my cards? Didn't I specifically make a point of NOT putting a dollar value on the Kaline and telling you I just wanted something substantial in return for it? Um...yeah. And I was banned for a couple of days, moron, because I used curse words. That's it. And I was responding to someone, who like you, came after me. Oh, I'm a thin skinned hot head?? Really?? You suddenly call me a dick 100 times in a thread completely and utterly out of nowhere, and I'm the problem here?? What an absolute freaking tool you are!!!!!

Thanks for all of that. You seem totally calm and not a thin-skinned hothead at all. Whatever you do, DON'T smash your keyboard. You will need that if you wish to continue embarrassing yourself.

Still probably not Babe Ruth.

mantlefan 09-02-2017 10:06 PM

Nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1697181)
I think we have a match:

Steve

Great work, Steve!!

frankbmd 09-02-2017 10:12 PM

Meanwhile I've been waiting for a photo of Ernie Brandsten in a bow tie and now we have it from Steve.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion. Carry on.

JollyElm 09-02-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1697255)
Thanks for all of that. You seem totally calm and not a thin-skinned hothead at all. Whatever you do, DON'T smash your keyboard. You will need that if you wish to continue embarrassing yourself.

Still probably not Babe Ruth.

Wow, you really are a little snowflake, aren't you?? You keep spewing out your venom towards me because why??? We didn't make a trade two months ago? A couple of PM's back and forth and i wasn't interested in your Milton Bradley cards, because I don't collect the set. A completely forgettable situation, but here you are laughably losing your mind all of this time later?? And completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, out of the blue?? And again, in your mind you think I'm the one with the problem????? Holy freakin' crap!!! Get a frickin' clue, little boy. You keep throwing out your petty BS and I'll be throwing it right back, cupcake.

horzverti 09-03-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1697265)
Wow, you really are a little snowflake, aren't you?? You keep spewing out your venom towards me because why??? We didn't make a trade two months ago? A couple of PM's back and forth and i wasn't interested in your Milton Bradley cards, because I don't collect the set. A completely forgettable situation, but here you are laughably losing your mind all of this time later?? And completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, out of the blue?? And again, in your mind you think I'm the one with the problem????? Holy freakin' crap!!! Get a frickin' clue, little boy. You keep throwing out your petty BS and I'll be throwing it right back, cupcake.

Thanks again for another meltdown. You do see that I am baiting you, right? Maybe you don't see it. You seem like you are not a jolly elm Darren. More like a weeping willow (I stole that nickname given to you by another member after one of your punctuation loaded rants). Thought it was funny. BTW I offered MBs because they were on the want list that you sent me. Makes sense right...the part about me offering cards that you included on a want list? This isn't about the trade. This about you continuing to be a jerk-a-palooza. You may be a dick, but you are definitely entertaining. Take a few deep breaths and go get a new keyboard. You'll need it...wait, we already covered that issue where you continue to embarrass yourself, right? Cuz you're still doing it.

horzverti 09-03-2017 12:18 AM

Again, sorry for sidetracking the thread. I probably shouldn't be counseling Darren in public, but it appears he needs some guidance.

JollyElm 09-03-2017 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1697272)
Again, sorry for sidetracking the thread. I probably shouldn't be counseling Darren in public, but it appears he needs some guidance.

Oh little Curtie, why don't call mommy down to the basement to read you a comforting night night story, Bubala. We know you need your safe space to type your BS in, because you're just a pathetic pimple on the ass of the world. I'm sorry you're such a loser that you have to keep going to your keyboard so you can feel like such a tough guy. But we know you're nothing but an angry little fuzzy teddy bear. A cute little nothing. So sad that you have to constantly spew your insulting crap, but, hey, it's quite a good laugh for all of us reading this thread. I'll even give you a little golf clap. Clap clap clap. And here's a big kiss for you. Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Feel better, pumpkin.

And, buttercup, see tomorrow I have things to do, as I have something you clearly don't...a life. So I may not be around to answer the pathetic crap that spills out of your mouth until later in the day. Hope that works for you. Oh, speaking of your mom, would you like me to send you a picture of the Kaline card that you covet so much that it's sent you into a frenzy?? Perhaps mommy will crochet the image into a pillow for you, so she can use it the next time she tucks you in, okay, darling boy??

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-03-2017 05:58 AM

Can't you guys flirt via PM? None of us care.

Leon 09-03-2017 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1697293)
Can't you guys flirt via PM? None of us care.

Neither of them will be posting in this thread again or it will be deleted. They do need to take it to PMs if they want to snuggle like that. And I always thought it was Ruth even though it didn't look like him.

mantlefan 09-03-2017 12:19 PM

And now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1697299)
Neither of them will be posting in this thread again or it will be deleted. They do need to take it to PMs if they want to snuggle like that. And I always thought it was Ruth even though it didn't look like him.

But Leon, after the evidence presented here have you changed your mind? We have a picture of Ernie in the same outfit coaching at the Olympics!

Here's Babe's schedule while the Olympics were operating and the picture was taken:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websi...m/1237/3412494

Could he have flown to LA for the weekend?

Leon 09-03-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1697420)
But Leon, after the evidence presented here have you changed your mind? We have a picture of Ernie in the same outfit coaching at the Olympics!

Here's Babe's schedule while the Olympics were operating and the picture was taken:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websi...m/1237/3412494

Of course I have changed my mind with the evidence shown. I never said it was corroborated as being him. I just took it at face value. Doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

brianp-beme 09-03-2017 12:31 PM

Plausible beyond belief

Perhaps it is just another insidious case of a Babe in Earnie's clothing.

Brian

mantlefan 09-03-2017 12:33 PM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1697427)
Of course I have changed my mind with the evidence shown. I never said it was corroborated as being him. I just took it at face value. Doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

I agree, but I feel sorry for the guy who paid close to $400 for a card of Dorothy and Ernie.

http://i.imgur.com/sc2usM8.jpg

irv 09-03-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1697420)

Boom! Again, very easily figured out by a board member. Makes one wonder how much "investigating" the grading company put into this prior to grading the card? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1697431)
I agree, but I feel sorry for the guy who paid close to $400 for a card of Dorothy and Ernie.

http://i.imgur.com/sc2usM8.jpg

X2. Hopefully no one purchases this one however!
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/spo...st-graded.html :eek::eek:

frankbmd 09-03-2017 04:16 PM

PWCC should have know it was Ernie, not Babe.;););)

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2017 04:26 PM

If it was Ruth, you would think the back would have mentioned it?

irv 09-03-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1697527)

It looks nothing like, Ruth, imo, and you're right, if it was, it would be mentioned on the back for sure.

Steve D 09-03-2017 05:01 PM

I'm thinking the card must be incorrectly listed in Beckett's guide, or the SCD Standard Catalog. I looked in my 2005 and 2007 editions of the SCDSC, and it isn't listed. Beckett.com does list it as a Babe Ruth card in their database.

Right now on ebay, there are 4 of them graded by PSA, one graded by Beckett, and one more graded by SGC. So, all the grading companies are furthering the mistaken identity, but where did they get there information from?

Steve

mantlefan 09-03-2017 05:13 PM

Wowie

Well Dale, the price is kinda steep, but code BBQ for "$20 off" has me getting ready to press the buy button!

http://i.imgur.com/epX1nF0.jpg

mantlefan 09-03-2017 05:17 PM

German

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1697527)

Yep, my 4 years of German in college finally pays off! The reverse states that Dorothy was the youngest person ever to medal in the Olympics when she won a diving medal in the 1928 games.

irv 09-03-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1697558)
Well Dale, the price is kinda steep, but code BBQ for "$20 off" has me getting ready to press the buy button!

Crap! I didn't notice that, Frank, but because you did, and with the amount you saved, I don't even need to ask if you purchased the card or not.

Congrats on your P/U. PSA 9's are nothing to laugh about, especially when they are cards of Babe Ruth. :rolleyes:

irv 09-03-2017 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1697127)
I was going through some of my oddball Babe cards and came across this one. It's a 1935 Muratti cigarette card of Babe and Olympic diver, Dorothy Boynton. The card back mentions that in 1928 Dorothy, a diver, was 14 and the youngest athlete ever to win an Olympic medal. It states that she won the 1932 Gold for diving in LA. The photo is presumably from the 1932 Olympics. Not a word about the Babe though. He seems kind of slim to be Babe and I think the nose is wrong. Also, the Olympics in LA ran July 30, 1932 to August 14, 1932. Wouldn't Babe be playing ball then?

http://i.imgur.com/pdCaV4B.jpg

Any ideas?

I was able to find a bigger pic of it. Pretty easy to see the bleachers and all the rest of it to prove it was, without a doubt, taken at or around the same time as the supposed baseball card was. Even the same jacket is hanging over the handrail.

EvilKing00 09-03-2017 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So now this is 2 babe ruths uncovered

Attachment 286539

irv 09-04-2017 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1697626)
So now this is 2 babe ruths uncovered

Attachment 286539

Just have to get the original one posted corrected now as I believe the one you just posted, Steve, already has been?

EvilKing00 09-05-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1697665)
Just have to get the original one posted corrected now as I believe the one you just posted, Steve, already has been?

just ended it

swarmee 09-08-2017 08:26 PM

https://img.comc.com/i/MultiSport/19...&size=original
1962 Dickson Orde Sports of the Countries - [Base] #11 - America (Babe Ruth) [PSA*8]
Courtesy of COMC.com

Who is this guy? Not Babe Ruth (or really anyone) IMO. It's just a mention on the back. Kind of like:

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...42&oe=5A1DDD5F

irv 09-09-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1697185)
I sent a message to the setregistry email to have it removed from the Master and Super Set registries at PSA.

Any word on any of this, John? I am curious what will happen going forward with this card and curious if current owners, thinking they have Ruth, know about this?

swarmee 09-09-2017 07:38 PM

Nope, no response from the Set Registry team yet.

swarmee 03-05-2018 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1699582)
Nope, no response from the Set Registry team yet.

Ditto, now 5 months later.

Leon 03-05-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1754168)
Ditto, now 5 months later.

We need Spaeth to email Joe O again. I think that is how the Marquard finally got fixed from Ruth on the Sermon postcard.

EvilKing00 03-05-2018 07:58 AM

all 3 of the big grading compaines need to see the evidence and make the correction.