Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1964 Topps Giants..... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292076)

nwobhm 11-19-2020 02:19 PM

1964 Topps Giants.....

....are they as undervalued as they appear?

Seems like the larger size coupled with stars would be ideal for older collectors that don't see as well as they did when they were young. The 2020 set doesn't hurt either as it adds 70's-current players.

rsdill2 11-19-2020 02:30 PM

They're great cards, aesthetically appealing, and full of HOFers. But I've always heard about pallets of them still showing up new in the 70s and 80s. One of the big time late 60s dealers bought all the unsold inventory and slowly trickled it out over decades.

ALR-bishop 11-19-2020 02:39 PM

One of my favorite sets, but as Robert said plenty of them out there and in good shape too

Bigdaddy 11-19-2020 05:14 PM

Some of the best photography on any Topps 1960s set, and generally the centering, registration and color are good. When my son first started collecting vintage cards, this was the first set he put together.

But like others said, I've heard that a boat load of 'em were found and have flooded the market with high grade copies. I guess this is a case of supply exceeding demand, though high graded copies seem to be commanding decent prices today.

Personally, I'm collecting the set signed and currently am at 57/60. Just missing Clemente, Mays and Farrell. If I can find a Mays, I'll probably call it quits though.

JollyElm 11-19-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2036862)
Some of the best photography on any Topps 1960s set, and generally the centering, registration and color are good. When my son first started collecting vintage cards, this was the first set he put together.

But like others said, I've heard that a boat load of 'em were found and have flooded the market with high grade copies. I guess this is a case of supply exceeding demand, though high graded copies seem to be commanding decent prices today.

Personally, I'm collecting the set signed and currently am at 57/60. Just missing Clemente, Mays and Farrell. If I can find a Mays, I'll probably call it quits though.

If you don't mind me asking, why is Mays so tough to find? He's signed 8 million of every card imaginable, so I would think it would be easy to locate a 1964 Topps Giants, no??

Casey2296 11-19-2020 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I misread the title and thought my "Matty" was gaining value.

nwobhm 11-20-2020 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdill2 (Post 2036814)
They're great cards, aesthetically appealing, and full of HOFers. But I've always heard about pallets of them still showing up new in the 70s and 80s. One of the big time late 60s dealers bought all the unsold inventory and slowly trickled it out over decades.

If they had the same popularity as standard sized cards they wouldn't appear in abundance.

Bigdaddy 11-20-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2036913)
If you don't mind me asking, why is Mays so tough to find? He's signed 8 million of every card imaginable, so I would think it would be easy to locate a 1964 Topps Giants, no??

You, and I, would think.