Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pricing advice, matching “wrong back” 1974 Garvey/Pappas (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319978)

Belfast1933 05-21-2022 10:18 AM

Pricing advice, matching “wrong back” 1974 Garvey/Pappas

2 Attachment(s)
Wondering if anyone here can offer advice on value/price for these matching “wrong back” 1974 Topps Steve Garvey and Milt Pappas cards

It’s hard to find comps for these - also wondering if it’s worth spending $60 or so to get these graded (the Garvey front one looks pretty strong to me… but these days with SGC, who knows?!)

Any advice or experience to share is welcomed and appreciated! (And they are no longer in these screw down holders anymore 😬)

Thx!

Jeff

G1911 05-21-2022 10:35 AM

I collect wrong backs, blank backs and other oddities. I bought a wrong back 1968 Dick Allen for $4.25 on eBay a few weeks ago. I doubt these are worth a $60 grading fee. Cool, rare and fun but not very valuable.

mrmopar 05-22-2022 09:45 PM

This pair seems to be quite easy to find. I have several and have seen many more listed. Guessing aside form error collectors or Garvey collectors, who may pay a slight premium, value would be fairly low.

Belfast1933 05-23-2022 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 2227309)
This pair seems to be quite easy to find. I have several and have seen many more listed. Guessing aside form error collectors or Garvey collectors, who may pay a slight premium, value would be fairly low.

Thanks for the information - I had seen a confirmed sale (eBay) of a graded version of this Garvey front version of this pair sell for a nice premium… but no other sale of the pair since

But I appreciate your experience on this - if you know of anyone who might be interested in a pairing like this, please send them my way!

Thx again -

Jeff

rats60 05-23-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 2227309)

There was a whole sheet that was misprinted like this in some quantity. Card Collectors Company used to sell these 132 card misprint sets in their catalog. I bought one from them back in the 70s.

mrmopar 05-30-2022 05:51 PM

When I first discovered Garvey had a wrong back/front, I was super excited, but when I saw them relatively easy to find over and over (also the Garvey/Randolph 82 Topps seems even more plentiful), the excitement died out. Still cool, but I figured there was some sort of hoard of these, which would explain why something that would otherwise seem almost impossible to find would be much, much easier.

I happened upon some 1979/1978 Topps front/back pairings in Cooperstown a couple years back, selling a buck each and landed a Garvey and a few other stars.

I guess it all depends on who's selling/buying, when and where.