Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1936 sports stamps (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320219)

jingram058 08-07-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2228628)
Thanks Bob. I kind of regret removing the majority of sports stamps from the binder because it was truly unique. There were 4, six panel pages in the album and one of the panels contained a DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Joe McCarthy stamp which is pretty cool in the same panel. There are also some great articles from the day, with several regarding Gehrig, DiMaggio and Dizzy Dean.

Since everyone has been so helpful with the Sports Stamps, maybe some members might help identify a couple of players in a photo I have. A few years ago I acquired several personal photos and ephemera that belonged to Jimmie Wilson. Wilson passed away in 1947. All the items were authentic and original from the period. The photo in question is a picture of Wilson, Bob Feller in uniform and 2 other people I just can't recognize. Maybe someone out there can assist. Maybe it needs to be a separate post, I'm not sure. Regardless, attached is the photo. I greatly appreciate any thoughts on who the other people are. I believe the photo was taken in Florida at a Spring Training session probably around 43-45 period. If this should be a different thread I apologize. Thanks.

Uhhhh...the guy on the left is Bucky Walters, the guy on the right is Jimmie Wilson. The 2 guys in uniform...the Lieutenant (left) I do not recognize. He is wearing "aviation greens", and appears to be wearing pilot wings. The Lieutenant-Commander is not Bob Feller. He was a Chief Petty Officer, not an officer, and he was not in the Medical Corps (this fellow seems to be wearing flight surgeon wings), he was a Gunner's Mate (plus, no self-respecting Chief would wear an officer's uniform). I believe this fellow is wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat, not Cleveland Indians, and while he looks a little bit like Bob Feller, I would bet the farm it is not him. Still, a nice photo with Walters and Wilson. It was Jimmie Wilson who converted Bucky Walters into a great pitcher after mediocrity as a third baseman.

gonefishin 08-08-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2250033)
Uhhhh...the guy on the left is Bucky Walters, the guy on the right is Jimmie Wilson. The 2 guys in uniform...the Lieutenant (left) I do not recognize. He is wearing "aviation greens", and appears to be wearing pilot wings. The Lieutenant-Commander is not Bob Feller. He was a Chief Petty Officer, not an officer, and he was not in the Medical Corps (this fellow seems to be wearing flight surgeon wings), he was a Gunner's Mate (plus, no self-respecting Chief would wear an officer's uniform). I believe this fellow is wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat, not Cleveland Indians, and while he looks a little bit like Bob Feller, I would bet the farm it is not him. Still, a nice photo with Walters and Wilson. It was Jimmie Wilson who converted Bucky Walters into a great pitcher after mediocrity as a third baseman.

Thanks James, I sent this to PSA for certification and identification. It was returned stating they couldn't identify anyone and didn't classify the photo. Thanks for the information on Bucky Walters and the information on the other 2. Much appreciated. I'm just going to hang onto it.

jingram058 08-08-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2250255)
Thanks James, I sent this to PSA for certification and identification. It was returned stating they couldn't identify anyone and didn't classify the photo. Thanks for the information on Bucky Walters and the information on the other 2. Much appreciated. I'm just going to hang onto it.

No problem, sir. I went ahead and posted this in a separate thread in case it would gain more visibility. It is indeed an interesting photo.

MikeGarcia 08-09-2022 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2250255)

I fear I already know the answer , but did they keep your money ?..

gonefishin 08-09-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2250877)
I fear I already know the answer , but did they keep your money ?..

No, PSA only charged for shipping on both the Sport Stamps and photo. That was the good thing.

Lordstan 12-10-2022 07:43 PM

Great info. here is my Gehrig from Detroit Times.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7519/1...5bb12bec_o.jpg

Leon 12-17-2022 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted this new pick up in another thread, but it pertains to these. A new, to me, Joe D rookie :).
ps...I never realized some of the newspapers have different captions under the players, until now. Hmmm..

Leon 12-17-2022 04:29 PM

Reading the caption, that doesn't appear to be a "1936" Joe D. More like a 1940? Unless they are counting his minors as professional. Otherwise, not sure why they wouldn't grade it, if they do the others. Maybe the top is cut too short?

update...doing a little more research it does look like it's a 1936.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2228456)
PSA will numerically grade them:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...%20PSA%205.jpg

BUT not for every newspaper. They rejected my Joe D:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...20DiMaggio.jpg

because of the newspaper. That was several years ago, so not sure what they do now.

Hope this is helpful.

JustinD 12-17-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2229923)
Does anybody have a complete list of all the newspapers which carried the "Sport Stamps" in 1936. Here's a list I have to get started, anymore ?

Detroit Times
Boston American
Sunday Advertiser ( Boston ? )
Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph
The Sporting News
Chicago American
Washington Herald
Los Angeles Examiner
Omaha Bee-News
Atlanta Georgian-American (Minor League)

There is currently a scrapbook on eBay containing 13 1936 examples from the Buffalo Times (all minor league Bison players).

Here is the player list if anyone is trying to catalog these-
-Carl Fischer
-Robert "King Kong" Cline
-William Harris
-Arthur Jacobs
-Kenneth Ash
-Clyde Crouse
-Elburt Fletcher
-Marvin Olson
-Howard "Butch" Meyers
-Edward Boland
-John Dickshot
-Huck Geary
-Donald Ross

JustinD 12-17-2022 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Example of Buffalo for the post above -

benge610 12-17-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2295182)
Reading the caption, that doesn't appear to be a "1936" Joe D. More like a 1940? Unless they are counting his minors as professional. Otherwise, not sure why they wouldn't grade it, if they do the others. Maybe the top is cut too short?

update...doing a little more research it does look like it's a 1936.

Well, they do, "Chicago American" now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28507826452...Bk9SR6KG97KkYQ

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Exhibitman 12-18-2022 12:04 AM

Guess I can send in my Joe D.

benge610 12-18-2022 06:22 AM

It may be a long shot;
but most times, they are;
I am looking for a Sport Stamp of:

Johnny Dickshot!

To add to my, IL ballplayers;
from my home state. (Waukegan, IL)

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=34970

Ben

benge610 12-18-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2295299)
Guess I can send in my Joe D.

That caption (above) on the Joe D. is so cool.
I see that one on eBay has a different caption; not as good, IMO.

Asking permission, of Leon or Adam; to take a snip of the Joe D. to put in my frame/collage in place of the Diamond Matchbook.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=34848

Ben

Leon 12-18-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295380)
That caption (above) on the Joe D. is so cool.
I see that one on eBay has a different caption; not as good, IMO.

Asking permission, of Leon or Adam; to take a snip of the Joe D. to put in my frame/collage in place of the Diamond Matchbook.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=34848

Ben

You are welcome to use my image.

benge610 12-18-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2295383)
You are welcome to use my image.

Thank you, Leon!

gonefishin 12-18-2022 09:45 AM

Thank you and good luck if you have any for grading.

Exhibitman 12-18-2022 10:26 AM

fine by me

benge610 12-18-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2295421)
fine by me

Whoop! Shame on me; hadn't looked at my pic in a while; it's a "Dimag" Restaurant Matchbook (not Diamond); so, it stays. The sport stamp image will work in the space with the COA copy; enhances the overall look of the piece.
I like to show it off when I set up at shows.

Thanks fellas!

Ben

JustinD 12-18-2022 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295338)
It may be a long shot;
but most times, they are;
I am looking for a Sport Stamp of:

Johnny Dickshot!

To add to my, IL ballplayers;
from my home state. (Waukegan, IL)

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=34970

Ben

Here’s what you are looking for. (Not mine so don’t ask, lol). It’s in the find I mentioned earlier.

benge610 12-18-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2295430)
Here’s what you are looking for. (Not mine so don’t ask, lol). It’s in the find I mentioned earlier.

Thank you Justin; I didn't have the patience to sift through that one.
I will always be on the hunt for the original; hint, hint, ... anybody (lol).

Ben

benge610 12-18-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2295430)

Sorry to bug you, Justin; but on his Sport Stamp caption; do you see,
"Larrupin' Lith"?
WTH is that? (I know about Larrupin' Lou) but ???

Ben

Exhibitman 12-18-2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295442)
Sorry to bug you, Justin; but on his Sport Stamp caption; do you see, "Larrupin' Lith"? WTH is that? (I know about Larrupin' Lou) but ???

Ben

Larruipin' gets a comment but "Dickshot" doesn't? You are hereby excommunicated from the Fraternal Order of Men Who Have the Maturity of Ten Year Od Boys.

JustinD 12-18-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295442)
Sorry to bug you, Justin; but on his Sport Stamp caption; do you see,
"Larrupin' Lith"?
WTH is that? (I know about Larrupin' Lou) but ???

Ben

Lame 1930s reference to his Lithuanian heritage as an honest answer.

JustinD 12-18-2022 12:57 PM

Actually as an obscure fact better than his nickname based on his heritage. Dickshot had a metal plate in his head from having it caved in by older kids throwing bottles while being bullied as a child. Those folks did not have it easy back then.

benge610 12-18-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2295476)
Larruipin' gets a comment but "Dickshot" doesn't? You are hereby excommunicated from the Fraternal Order of Men Who Have the Maturity of Ten Year Od Boys.

Was hopin', no one noticed his IL born name. lol.

benge610 12-18-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2295483)
Lame 1930s reference to his Lithuanian heritage as an honest answer.

... like having a last name like that, wasn't enough. TY Justin; makes more sense now.

BobC 12-18-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295428)
Whoop! Shame on me; hadn't looked at my pic in a while; it's a "Dimag" Restaurant Matchbook (not Diamond); so, it stays. The sport stamp image will work in the space with the COA copy; enhances the overall look of the piece.
I like to show it off when I set up at shows.

Thanks fellas!

Ben

Though it is not from one of the listed 1930's matchbook sets, that Dimaggio Restaurant matchbook is in fact made by the Diamond Match Co., so technically it is a Diamond matchbook.

benge610 12-18-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2295476)

Dernit.

Just checked and my, "FOMWHMTYOB" card is expired.
No wonder my posts lack that certain, "Dickshot" edge.

benge610 12-18-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2295524)
Though it is not from one of the listed 1930's matchbook sets, that Dimaggio Restaurant matchbook is in fact made by the Diamond Match Co., so technically it is a Diamond matchbook.

Thank you Bob; that saves me the struggle of digging the piece outta my RV to look closer. It was bugging me (Well then, who did make it?).

Ben

BobC 12-18-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benge610 (Post 2295528)
Thank you Bob; that saves me the struggle of digging the piece outta my RV to look closer. It was bugging me (Well then, who did make it?).

Ben

It is funny you mention that, because after reading your post I went and double checked my copy of that same matchbook. It is made by the same Diamond Match Co., just not part of any set. Nice item, and there are actually other different DiMaggio Restaurant matchbooks out there. His brother, Dom, also has at least one matchbook for his restaurant that was also in San Francisco. And all of them appear to have been made by the Diamond Match Co., which was out of the San Francisco/Chico, California area. So, no surprise the DiMaggios used them to make their matchbooks to advertise their restaurants since they were local.

benge610 12-18-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2295487)
Actually as an obscure fact better than his nickname based on his heritage. Dickshot had a metal plate in his head from having it caved in by older kids throwing bottles while being bullied as a child. Those folks did not have it easy back then.

Zim of the thirties!

nolemmings 01-01-2023 06:30 PM

I went through some online newspapers and thought I would add at least a partial checklist of stamps found in the Omaha Evening Bee News from around the beginning of July 1936 into September--some are repeated in the following morning's paper. Here is what I found--please feel free to add:
  1. 7/03/1936: SCHOOLBOY ROWE-BASEBALL
    TONY CANZONERI—LIGHTWEIGHT BOXING CHAMP
  2. 7/04/1936: MICKEY COCHRANE-BASEBALL
    GENE SARAZEN-GOLF
  3. 7/06/1936: DIZZY DEAN-BASEBALL
    JACK DEMPSEY- FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMP
  4. 7/08/1936: TRAVIS JACKSON-BASEBALL
    FRANK CROSETTI-BASEBALL
  5. 7/09/1936: PETE FOX-BASEBALL
    AL SIMMONS-BASEBALL
  6. 7/10/1936: BEN CHAPMAN-BASEBALL
    VERNON GOMEZ-BASEBALL
  7. 7/11/1936: C. HUBBELL, P., GIANTS (SINGLE STAMP)
  8. 7/16/1936: BILLIE HALL-IOWA GOLF CHAMP
    DENNY MILLER-IOWA GOLF CHAMP
  9. 7/18/1936: WALTER BLIVENS-AMATEUR GOLF
    WALTER EMERY-AMATEUR GOLF
  10. 7/22/1936: BARNEY ROSS-BOXER
    DICK BARTELL-BASEBALL
  11. 7/27/1936: HANK SEVEREID-BASEBALL
    SED HARTMAN-OMAHA MUNICIPAL UNIV. COACH
  12. 7/28/1936: KAYE DON-SPEEDBOAT/AUTO RACER
    JOHN POLISKY-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH
  13. 7/30/1936: MICKEY WALKER- WELTERWEIGHT/MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP
    DANA X. BIBLE-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH
  14. 7/31/1936: CASEY STENGEL-BASEBALL MANAGER (VERTICAL STRIP)
    MORRIE SCHLAIFER- BOXING
  15. 8/01/1936: BILL ROGELL-BASEBALL
    JACK SHARKEY: BOXING (VERTICAL STRIP)
  16. 8/07/1936: CHARLEY GELBERT-BASEBALL
    JOE MEDWICK-BASEBALL
  17. 8/12/1936: FIELDING YOST-MICHIGAN A.D.
    HEINIE MANUSH-BASEBALL
  18. 8/13//1936: JOHNNY RISKO-HEAVYWEIGHT BOXER
    SAM PARKS, JR.-GOLFER (NATIONAL OPEN CHAMP 1935)
  19. 8/14/1936: ALVIN CROWDER-BASEBALL
    JESS WILLARD-FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMP
  20. 8/15/1936: JOHNNY REVOLTA-GOLFER
    JOE SULLIVAN-PITCHER
  21. 8/19/1936: JIMMY THOMSON-GOLFER (APPEARS IN MORNING PAPER NEXT DAY)
    ELON HOGSETT-BASEBALL
  22. 8/21/1936: PAT MALONE-BASEBALL
    LEROY PARMELEE-BASEBALL
  23. 8/27/1936: A.A. STAGG-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH
    GIL DOBIE-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH
  24. 9/01/1936: RED GRANGE-FOOTBALL
    BO M’MILLIN-COLLEGE FOOTBALL
  25. 9/01/1936am: JOCK SUTHERLAND-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH (PITT)
    GAR DAVIDSON-COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH (ARMY)
  26. 9/04/1936: LOU GEHRIG- BASEBALL (SINGLE STAMP)
  27. 9/10/1936: CHARLEY GRIMM-BASEBALL MANAGER (SINGLE STAMP)
  28. 9/24/1936: LESTER M’DONALD-COLLEGE FOOTBALL (SINGLE STAMP)
And here is one of interest:
https://photos.imageevent.com/imover...arge/MJ890.jpg

edited to add: Just noticed that Lou's bio says he is single and living with his parents, which had not been true for nearly three years when this stamp was published.

BobC 01-01-2023 11:58 PM

Geez, the Omaha Bee-News, another one of these Sports Stamps newspapers I've never really heard of, and have never been able to find an example of for sale. Great info though, thanks for posting.

jingram058 07-30-2023 11:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I hate to dredge up an old thread, but...I just bought an old scrapbook, from the year 1936, that according to what I can see from afar, has at least several Los Angeles Examiner baseball Sports Stamps, both loose and fixed. She be arriving this week. At the very least it appears to have "Goose" Goslin, Carl Hubbell, Gabby Hartnett, and Tony Lazzeri. There are others I can't identify, one is perhaps Jimmie Foxx.

gonefishin 07-30-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2360015)
I hate to dredge up an old thread, but...I just bought an old scrapbook, from the year 1936, that according to what I can see from afar, has at least several Los Angeles Examiner baseball Sports Stamps, both loose and fixed. She be arriving this week. At the very least it appears to have "Goose" Goslin, Carl Hubbell, Gabby Hartnett, and Tony Lazzeri. There are others I can't identify, one is perhaps Jimmie Foxx.

The Sport Stamp thread never gets old!

Great pick up! Let us know what treasures are in there when you get it.

benge610 07-30-2023 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2360050)
The Sport Stamp thread never gets old!

+1

Ben

Phil Arem 07-30-2023 02:09 PM

1934 Boston Americans Baseball scraps

On a similar note, I recently picked up a 1934 Boston American scraps with Babe Ruth no 1 and Rabbit Maranville no 2 attached
Can the group provide any info on this type ?
Thanks
Phil

seattlerainiers 08-02-2023 10:48 AM

Sports Stamps

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2229923)
Does anybody have a complete list of all the newspapers which carried the "Sport Stamps" in 1936. Here's a list I have to get started, anymore ?

Detroit Times
Boston American
Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph
The Sporting News
Chicago American
Washington Herald
Los Angeles Examiner
Omaha Bee-News

The Seattle Post Intelligencer also published Sports Stamps. MLB and PCL players, along with other sports. I have a bunch of them...add me to the group that thinks they are cool!

Here's a Feller "rookie". Happy to post more.

nolemmings 08-02-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlerainiers (Post 2361016)
The Seattle Post Intelligencer also published Sports Stamps. MLB and PCL players, along with other sports. I have a bunch of them...add me to the group that thinks they are cool!

Please do!

Leon 08-02-2023 11:47 AM

Here's a Ruth from the Omaha Bee News..

https://luckeycards.com/bees.jpg

docpatlv 08-02-2023 12:24 PM

Here’s Ty from the Pittsburgh SunTelegraph. I’m sure there are others, but it’s the only Cobb I’ve seen.

https://photos.imageevent.com/docpat...B0D275AC5.jpeg

Exhibitman 08-02-2023 12:49 PM

So much fun! I found this Owens recently, from LA:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...Copy%20_2_.jpg

gonefishin 08-02-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlerainiers (Post 2361016)

Fantastic! That's the first Feller Sport Stamp I've seen. I actually purchased a 1936 Sporting News paper from the Feller estate that Bob kept all those years. When I received it, I frantically opened it hoping to find the Sport Stamp - No Luck! I thought it would have been so cool to have a 36 Sport Stamp of Feller that he actually owned and kept all those years. I still have the paper. He kept the paper in his desk all this time - unusual? - Who knows.

Leon 08-03-2023 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Full page Ruth - Chicago American

seattlerainiers 08-03-2023 12:29 PM

Sports Stamps

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2361029)
Please do!

Here are a handful more from the Seattle PI, including a few PCL ones (Seattle Indians, Strange and Michael), Seattle Sea Hawks hockey coach and Hockey HOFer Frank Foyston, who was a key member of the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans...first US Stanley Cup champions.

Also a different Jesse Owens from Adam's LA Examiner stamp, Ott & Hornsby, and Max Schmeling for good measure.

jingram058 08-03-2023 04:04 PM

I Hit The Jackpot With Baseball Sportstamps

10 Attachment(s)
Just got this 1936 scrapbook. Wow, it is LOADED with Baseball Sportstamps. Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Bill Dickey, Carl Hubbell and on and on and on. 90% The Sporting News, 10% L.A. Examiner, a great many All-Star Sportstamps. 4 are loose with clippings, never glued in. There are 60, all total. The scrapbook covers the 1936 season. I've got a ton of old scrapbooks. Never came across one like this.

insidethewrapper 08-03-2023 09:30 PM

Updated :
Does anybody have a complete list of all the newspapers which carried the "Sport Stamps" in 1936. List is now 13 !

Here's a current updated list I have ? Anymore to add to the list ?

Detroit Times
Boston American
Buffalo Times
Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph
The Sporting News
Chicago American
Washington Herald
Los Angeles Examiner
Omaha Bee-News
Seattle Post Intelligencer
The San Francisco Examiner

spec 08-03-2023 10:59 PM

Hearst promotion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2361477)
Updated :
Does anybody have a complete list of all the newspapers which carried the "Sport Stamps" in 1936.

Here's a current updated list I have ? Anymore to add to the list ?

Detroit Times
Boston American
Buffalo Times
Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph
The Sporting News
Chicago American
Washington Herald
Los Angeles Examiner
Omaha Bee-News
Seattle Post Intelligencer

The Sunday Advertiser was indeed the Sunday edition of the Boston American. Most of the newspapers on this list I recognize as part of William Randolph Hearst's publishing empire. He owned 28 major papers in 1935, and I suspect all or most Hearst papers included Sports Stamps in 1936.

Exhibitman 08-03-2023 11:12 PM

James, you lucky bastard, that is a FIND!