Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New member cuban cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297058)

Roland 49 12-31-2021 11:09 AM

Happy new year 2022

1 Attachment(s)
Happy year 2022 i wish to all those who see my threads, great health and prosperity. Now i show a greeting card for the year 1949 with the managers of that championship.

moranbpc8 12-31-2021 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice Roland49
However, i was using the PR cards as an example. In general i have found that searches in net54 often result in poor results. Even if i did a search on topics related to Cuban cards i would get results that never addressed my search topic. In essence i wanted to find out how to more effectively use the search function of net54. Thanks.

Roland 49 01-02-2022 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I show 4 cards that the players sent to make to congratulate their friends and supporters, they will see from: Miñoso, Pedro Ramos, Angel Scull and Ossie Álvarez.

Roland 49 01-04-2022 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Card that were given to the ladies who were named bridesmaids of honor, in this case the Cuba B.B.C. from Santiago de Cuba, year 1901.

ElCabron 01-04-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moranbpc8 (Post 2180722)
However, i was using the PR cards as an example. In general i have found that searches in net54 often result in poor results. Even if i did a search on topics related to Cuban cards i would get results that never addressed my search topic. In essence i wanted to find out how to more effectively use the search function of net54. Thanks.

Brian, between Rolando and I, you can probably get any of your questions answered. You can always email or call me any time. You have my info. Rolando will probably give you his info as well if you contact him privately. The search feature on Net54 might not be working great, but if you read whatever threads it does turn up, you can probably figure out the right people to talk to.

Roland 49 01-06-2022 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I show you part of the collection of National cigars glued the cards in the album, you will see the cards of Torriente and Méndez.

ElCabron 01-07-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2178714)
My friend Ryan, congratulations on Christmas for you and your family, 15 years have passed since your last visit to my house, the meeting between us was very good, we both learned about the theme of Cuban cards, now I remember when we went to the stadium of Cerro, and I introduced you to the former professional Pitcher, Ernesto (Chico) Morillas, and we talked with him, and you felt happy to have met him, hopefully in the future you can come to Cuba, now you will see a very rare card from Morillas, from 1948.

Is Ernesto still around? Somewhere I have a picture of me with him. Same with Luis Zayas. When I asked Ernesto who the toughest hitter he faced was, he said Silvio Garcia. I asked him who the best pitcher he ever saw was and he said Camilo Pascual. Then he showed me the grip Camilo used for his devastating curveball. I am grateful you introduced us. Good memories.

Casey2296 01-08-2022 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moranbpc8 (Post 2180722)

It's easier to do a google search instead of using the net54 search engine.
For example, google "Cuban cards net54" should yield better results.

Leon 01-08-2022 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 2183321)
Is Ernesto still around? Somewhere I have a picture of me with him. Same with Luis Zayas. When I asked Ernesto who the toughest hitter he faced was, he said Silvio Garcia. I asked him who the best pitcher he ever saw was and he said Camilo Pascual. Then he showed me the grip Camilo used for his devastating curveball. I am grateful you introduced us. Good memories.

Here are pics of your Minoso. I guess the scans were different sizes. Great looking card and so high grade for the series.

Roland 49 01-08-2022 04:41 PM

Leon Luckey

León, that is a good card from Miñoso and it is the first that was printed from him in 1945, "Caramelos Felices".

shagrotn77 01-08-2022 08:52 PM

Wow! You never see a '45 Minoso in such nice shape. A 1 is usually the best you could hope for. Very nice!

Roland 49 01-10-2022 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today in the afternoon they sent me an email informing me that my 3 catalogs were for sale on eBay Cuban baseball, I don't have an eBay connection, and they sent me photos, this week that ended, a friend took those 3 to Spain that he put them up for sale , I inform you that of volume 1, there are only 10 copies, of volume 2, 3 copies have been printed and of volume 3, only 2 copies have been printed, and since they all have a copyright registration number, but they also have its printing number, of all the volumes 001 are mine, and as you can see from volume 2 there are only two more and from volume 3, there is only the one that is for sale, there has been a lot of difficulty due to the covid and the registry offices 11 months closed, on the other hand, the 1st quality materials for the preparation of the catalogs very difficult to obtain, like the inks for the laser printer, now I show a photo that I took a few minutes ago of the three catalogs and some inner sheets, they are something out of focus and I don't know in good, low light and the camera of my old mobile phone.

Roland 49 01-12-2022 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I show a photo that I took with my phone of one of the several sheets dedicated to pins, belonging to Volume 3 of my catalogs.

Roland 49 01-13-2022 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I show a printed propaganda of the Cristal Beer, where we see the Pitcher Rogelio (Limonar) Martínez, with his records in 1943, at the time he played as amateurs for the Clud Deporrivo Matanzas.

GeoPoto 01-14-2022 11:49 AM

Limonar Martinez

2 Attachment(s)
Rogelio B. Martínez Ulloa was a pitcher in Major League Baseball who played briefly for the Washington Senators during the 1950 season. Martínez was nicknamed Limonar, after the modest little town in his native Matanzas where he started to play baseball. In one major league season, Martínez posted a 0–1 record with a 27.00 ERA in two appearances, including one start, giving up four runs on four hits and two walks while striking out none in 1.1 innings of work. Three days before Washington called Rogelio up, he had hurt his knee, and he didn’t tell the club.

From Martinez's SABR biography: This slender sidearm righty appeared in just two big-league games, in 1950. Nonetheless his career is more significant than it appears. “Limonar” – so called for the country town where he learned to play ball – was one of the icons of Cuban amateur baseball in its most glorious, romantic, and competitive era, the early 1940s.

Author Roberto González Echevarría highlighted four pitchers – “revered amateurs and later professionals” – who made it to the majors. The most prominent was Conrado Marrero, who died in 2014, almost four years after Martínez – they were among the last living links to that time. Julio “Jiquí” Moreno, a dazzling flamethrower in his youth, was a distinguished runner-up. Sandalio “Potrerillo” Consuegra had the most success in the US, where he was known as Sandy. These three men and Martínez all started in the big leagues with the 1950 Washington Senators.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1642185987
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1642185994

Roland 49 01-15-2022 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On January 14, 1962, the 3rd stage of the history of the Championships for the title in Cuba began, the 1st stage was on December 29, 1878, with the game between Habana and Almendares, which was the first official Game of the history of Cuban Baseball, the 2nd begins at the beginning of 1900, and ends in 1961, with the last game of the Cuban Professional League, in 1962 when the 3rd stage begins with the National Series that year 4 teams compete, Now I show a photo of that opening day where we see the manager of the Havana team, José María Fernández, next to the manager of the winning team of the 1st National Series, Fermin Guerra, who led the Occidentales team and the Prime Minister at that time Fidel Castro.

Roland 49 01-16-2022 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now I show you 2 images that I take a photo with my phone of volume 1 of my catalogs, in my other thread I will show photos of volume 2, see it.

Roland 49 01-18-2022 12:04 PM

Dodgers 1954

1 Attachment(s)
In the photo we see Edmundo Amoros, who hit a homerun and is congratulated by Walt Alston as he passed through 3rd, year 1954.

Roland 49 01-20-2022 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In the history of baseball in the city of Santiago de Cuba, there were 2 teams Cuba and Central, which were eternal rivals, as in the professional were Habana and Almendares, I show 2 photos of the members of those teams in 1901.

mannybb24 01-20-2022 07:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Rolando, Happy New Year, I hope you're doing well.

Since you posted about Central I was hoping you can help me with this team photo in my collection. I know the guy in the suit is a very young Julian "Fallanca" Perez, do you happen to recognize any of the other players or know the possible year this is from?
Thank you for your help and appreciate your time again!
Steve Peissig

Roland 49 01-21-2022 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, that photo of the Central team from 1904 is very rare, the one you show doesn't look good, but when I saw it I thought I had one and I looked for it, and it's cooler and the players are better identified, that year 1904 , the teams Cuba, Central and Sam Francisco will play in the championship, in the city of Santiago de Cuba, and each team was allowed to include some of the players from the Professional Championship, I have all the statistics of that championship with the 3 teams, Now I answer your question, you are going to see my photo that looks better, you will see that 3 of the players have cards in the Cigarros Cabañas 1909 collection, in the photo standing, from left to right, the second is Angel D'Mesa, the fourth is Carlos (Bebe) Roger, seated the third is Inocencio Perez, next to Julian Perez (Fallanca) there are other familiar faces in the team.

mannybb24 01-21-2022 08:03 PM

Wow, do you want to trade photos Rolando? Haha, just joking but yours is so much nicer, mine is very faded which is a shame because I couldn’t really tell if I saw anyone familiar other than Julian Perez.
You say the guy next to Fallanca is Inocenio Perez but if you look you see the player wearing the glove on his right hand which makes him a left handed thrower, and Inocenio was a right handed thrower I believe.
Could this be Chino Moran instead? I’ve always thought this could be him but my photo is so light I couldn’t really tell.
Thank you for your help and I appreciate you showing your photo for better reference.
Steve

Roland 49 01-23-2022 03:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
La Ambrosia 1943 card album, the photo shows the page of Club Deportivo Matanzas that was champion that year, you can see the cards of Limonar Martínez, Consuegra, Angel Fleitas, Rouget Avalos, Catayo Martinez etc. In the other photo the cover of the Album with the flags of all the teams that participated in the championship.

GeoPoto 01-24-2022 01:41 PM

Sandalio "Potrerillo" Consuegra

2 Attachment(s)
Sandalio S. Consuegra Castellon. Cuban-born pitcher for the Washington Senators in 1950-53. 51 wins and 28 saves in 8 MLB seasons. 1954 All-Star. His best season was 1954 with the Chicago White Sox as he posted a 16-3 record with 4 saves and a 2.69 ERA in 154 innings pitched. He ended his career with the New York Giants in 1957.

Consuegra's SABR biography explains how Sandy (and his son) got his name: In 2011 Sandy’s son Rogelio (Roger) told the story. “In Cuba most homes had a Catholic calendar, and it gave the name of the saint for each day of the month. I must assume his name came from the calendar, as all his other brothers and sisters had similar ‘strange’ names". Indeed, the feast day of San Sandalio (St. Sandila, a ninth-century Spaniard martyred by the Moors) is September 3. Roger Consuegra further related, “When I was born my mother refused to name me Sandalio and I was going on the fifth day with no name. That afternoon Rogelio Martínez and Julio Moreno were facing each other, and they agreed I would be named after the winning pitcher. Deportivo Matanzas won; thus, my name is Rogelio.”

Consuegra got his nickname (Potrerillo) in Cuban ball from his hometown. Much the same was true of Rogelio Martínez, who was dubbed “Limonar” for the name of the town where he first played. Manolo de la Reguera, the famous Cuban sports commentator, was responsible for Consuegra’s nickname and those of many other players.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1643056732
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1643056738

Roland 49 01-24-2022 09:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
George, this anecdote about Sandalio is very good. In the 60s to 90s, the games of memory between veteran players from Habana and Almendares were held in the United States, now I show two photos of those memorable games of memory, one is from 1981, we see Joe Valdivielso, Rodolfo Fernandez and Fermin Guerra , in the other from 1993, to Rodolfo Fernández, Miñoso and Armando Vázquez.

Roland 49 01-26-2022 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo of the memory games between Habana and Almendares in the 60s 70s 80s 90s, we see Mike Fornieles and Tom Lasorda.

Roland 49 01-29-2022 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I show you a historical photo at the Hotel Inglaterra in Havana, from left to right Armando Marsans of baseball, Ramon Fonts, several times Olympic and World champion in sword, saber, foil, followed by Alfredo de Oro, World Billiards Champion, and José Raúl Capablanca, World Chess Champion, all Cubans.

Roland 49 01-31-2022 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1960s, Mike Fornieles, Agapito Mayor and Quilla Valdes, veterans play Miami

Roland 49 02-01-2022 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Francisco Poyo, a member of the Cuban Hall of Fame, I now show a photo of an interview that was done to him in the 40s on the occasion of his exaltation to the Hall,

Roland 49 02-04-2022 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I show the cover of the Album 'La Ambrosía' 1943, the complete collection is 240 cards.

Roland 49 02-08-2022 05:44 PM

Duke Snider in Habana

1 Attachment(s)
Duke Snider at the Estadium del Cerro in Havana 1959, the Duke exchanged a bat for a machine gun with a policeman.

Roland 49 02-11-2022 10:10 AM

M. Mantle in Cuba

1 Attachment(s)
In the photo we see Mikey Mantle looking satisfied at a report from Bohemia Magazine where he appears on his visit to Cuba, at the Cerro Stadium.

Roland 49 02-13-2022 06:01 PM

Josh Gibson

1 Attachment(s)
I was asked to see Josh Gibson in the Trujillo team, I show one of the photos.

Roland 49 02-16-2022 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don Zimmer in Cienfuegos team

Roland 49 02-17-2022 08:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have read that Gonzalo (Choly) Maranjo and Rene Friol, two of the good players of the Cuban Professional League, recently passed away, now I show 2 cards from the Chicle Pelotero collection from 1957 front and back, and another photo from the year 2000, where Friol and Panchon Herrera appear at the ends and in the center my friend Rubén Guedes, who also played in amateur leagues.

Exhibitman 02-19-2022 04:05 PM

Anyone ever seen this Kid Chocolate pocket calendar before?

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...20calendar.jpg

Roland 49 02-20-2022 05:10 PM

Exibitman

1 Attachment(s)
The Kid Chocolate card is from a collection from the year 1985, printed by the Circulo de Veterans del Deporte in Camaguey, I have these pocket calendars from several years, some from the 70s and 80s, now I show the front and back.

rjackson44 02-20-2022 05:28 PM

Roland

I’m going to cuba next year with mom.I’m cuban any chance you will find these cards anywhere ? Gracias octavio

aljurgela 02-22-2022 03:51 PM

Marcelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2136800)
You tell me that I do not see that one too often, and it is true it is a very rare card, but I feel satisfaction knowing that you have it, since I bought that card about 20 years ago, and sold it about 6 years, I always say that Most of the collectors and I think they all have something that was mine, now you will see a scan that I did to a group of Mayorquinas from Almendares and you will see the Lloyd you have, take good care of him I think there should not be more than 3 or 4 copies Greetings Al.

I just wish that I could find the Marcelle from this issue Roland!

aljurgela 02-22-2022 03:54 PM

Here is the Punch

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2139299)
Travis you commented that you want me to show Bombin Pedroso, now you will see his card from the Romeo and Juliet collection that I scanned a few years ago. Have you seen it?

of Bombin

aljurgela 02-22-2022 04:02 PM

A little late to the Minoso celebration... but

2 Attachment(s)
here are a couple that I do not recall seeing... also one of my favorite photos of all time is of him... will try and track it down

aljurgela 02-22-2022 04:03 PM

Minnie photo

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo... it is cabinet size....

Roland 49 02-24-2022 05:51 PM

Al Jurgela

1 Attachment(s)
Al, you show very good Miñoso cards, now the Miñoso card #68 from the Caramelos Stadium collection, this is one of the versions but there is another, do you have them both?

Exhibitman 02-24-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland 49 (Post 2198605)
The Kid Chocolate card is from a collection from the year 1985, printed by the Circulo de Veterans del Deporte in Camaguey, I have these pocket calendars from several years, some from the 70s and 80s, now I show the front and back.

Thanks for the information.

Roland 49 03-02-2022 09:46 PM

Al Jurgela

2 Attachment(s)
Al, I asked you if you had the two #68 cards of Orestes Miñoso and you didn't answer, maybe you haven't seen them, they are rare, now I show them.

Roland 49 03-04-2022 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On several occasions they ask me about my catalogs, last month the 3 volumes were taken to Spain by a friend and he put them up for sale on ebay cuban baseball, I can't connect to ebay and I don't know if they were sold, but yesterday a friend He wrote telling me that he saw the first volume for sale, I point it out in case any of you are interested, for the moment they will not be published anymore, due to lack of quality materials for their preparation.

ElCabron 03-05-2022 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aljurgela (Post 2199272)
here are a couple that I do not recall seeing... also one of my favorite photos of all time is of him... will try and track it down

Al, unfortunately, that 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo Miñoso should never have been graded as it was cut from a sheet within the past few years. Both PSA and SGC are guilty of grading cards cut from these sheets. If you look at the pop reports from both companies, you'll find the normal grades for Caramelo Deportivo cards. Ones, Twos, maybe a Three if it's high-grade. And then you'll see cards like this Miñoso in a 6, which does not exist in either year of Caramelo Deportivo cards.

Here is what happened: A group of uncut sheets, maybe as many as 10(?) somehow survived all these years without being destroyed. They were meant to be destroyed because the print on the back was extremely faded and light, and therefore not worthy of being cut into cards and distributed. But some Cuban hero saved them! And that's why so many "high-grade" 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo cards survive to this day. I know of at least two complete sheets that are still intact. I have one, and another collector has one. But each sheet has 3 Martin Dihigos, 3 Ray Dandridges, and 3 Orestes "Minnie" Miñosos. The temptation proved to be too much much for some greedy scammers who cut these sheets up and sent the cards in to grading companies. Any high-grade 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card will have this extremely light back. The sheets made their way to the U.S. and were cut up and sent in to the grading companies, who graded them without question, for some reason. Any grading company could contact me at any time without every having to worry about compensation. I've never taken a single dollar to consult with a grading company or any kind of authentication agency. But they didn't. And they should all know that by now.

Al, can you post a scan of the back of that Miñoso? I would bet my life that it is extremely light and barely legible. Especially compared to a legit 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card.

The back should look like this:

Roland 49 03-07-2022 10:27 AM

Felices 1946-47

2 Attachment(s)
I was reading Ryan's comment, and he's right, I agree with him, but I'll give my opinion, in the late 80s or early 90s, I bought 10 sheets of this collection, 9 were complete and one was cropped because they glued some to an empty album, of the 9 complete sheets I separated the best for my collection, the back had the clearest impression, but not all were the same, some of the ink could be seen quite well, those 8 remaining through the years I went out of them, I told everyone not to cut them, because from my point of view they are rarities, and I consider that they have a higher price, but each person does what they want with their own, in the postcards of the United States they have companies that they evaluate and I consider this very correct and also the Cuban ones, but they have brought me Cuban postcards that are evaluated with their letter and number, and I have not agreed, because I have my evaluation system that is not so complicated and is most effective, and none of those who evaluate these cards in those companies know what I know, not one of them, not all together, and they have brought me original postcards that they have rejected for not knowing them, now I show a photo of one of the pages of my catalog where you will see the page that shows that sheet and a photo I took of one of the sheets from behind, but the most important thing is that they are all original cards with an almost perfect state of conservation, that is my opinion.

Roland 49 03-13-2022 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photos magazine with Monte Irvin on the cover.

aljurgela 03-14-2022 12:02 PM

back

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 2202486)
Al, unfortunately, that 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo Miñoso should never have been graded as it was cut from a sheet within the past few years. Both PSA and SGC are guilty of grading cards cut from these sheets. If you look at the pop reports from both companies, you'll find the normal grades for Caramelo Deportivo cards. Ones, Twos, maybe a Three if it's high-grade. And then you'll see cards like this Miñoso in a 6, which does not exist in either year of Caramelo Deportivo cards.

Here is what happened: A group of uncut sheets, maybe as many as 10(?) somehow survived all these years without being destroyed. They were meant to be destroyed because the print on the back was extremely faded and light, and therefore not worthy of being cut into cards and distributed. But some Cuban hero saved them! And that's why so many "high-grade" 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo cards survive to this day. I know of at least two complete sheets that are still intact. I have one, and another collector has one. But each sheet has 3 Martin Dihigos, 3 Ray Dandridges, and 3 Orestes "Minnie" Miñosos. The temptation proved to be too much much for some greedy scammers who cut these sheets up and sent the cards in to grading companies. Any high-grade 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card will have this extremely light back. The sheets made their way to the U.S. and were cut up and sent in to the grading companies, who graded them without question, for some reason. Any grading company could contact me at any time without every having to worry about compensation. I've never taken a single dollar to consult with a grading company or any kind of authentication agency. But they didn't. And they should all know that by now.

Al, can you post a scan of the back of that Miñoso? I would bet my life that it is extremely light and barely legible. Especially compared to a legit 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card.

The back should look like this:

very light... yes.... PSA holder now