Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Claim of $80k+ theft at the National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323098)

bobbyw8469 08-31-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2258940)
Gizmo’s story is so absurd that it can’t be true (it’s possible there was a theft but not like this). I hope, guilty of some sort of theft or innocent, this man knows his name is getting very publicly trashed. This whole situation just screams to hear from the other side.

Well....the cops asked him to come to NJ to give a statement. He refused. I am sorry, that just reeks of scum-baggery. Gizmo may be an ass but so far, his side is the one that is believable. This buyer stole from him.

111gecko 08-31-2022 11:00 AM

Theft

I could only make it through about 10 minutes of the interview...ugh. It reminds me of my children when they have waaaaaay too many unnecessary specifics of a story they made up. Not saying some of it isn't true, but simple is better in situations like this I would think.

The most damning thing I heard is he said he would see him in the morning via text. He never showed up. That's strong for RGs story if he has that.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-31-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2258944)
Well....the cops asked him to come to NJ to give a statement. He refused. I am sorry, that just reeks of scum-baggery. Gizmo may be an ass but so far, his side is the one that is believable. This buyer stole from him.

OR a guy who doesn't have time to travel half-way across the country on his own dime for what he sees as no reason. It's too easy for people to spin their own narratives when there are many more possibilities than the one they think of.

G1911 08-31-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Why would he travel back to New Jersey on his dime to give a formal statement he doesn’t have to give? Would you? Guilty until proven innocent is not reasonable.

Gizmo the clown’s story sounds believable to you? I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Lorewalker 08-31-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

The story was truly unbelievable. With the accused allegedly even refusing to answer to NJ police it suggests that there was a theft.

It is easy to tell that Gizmo over valued the theft and went conveniently with the high book value. Pics I saw of his cards did not show them to be in high grade and the prices I saw on them were beyond absurd.

He came off as an atrocious salesperson in that video. Some melodrama too. Told a horrible version of the story to boot, leaving out details and telling things out of order. Not a good look.

At least 2 times he mentioned that the guy had offered him 26K or something and he played the "I paid way more than that for those 29 cards". Bet at 26K he triples up. He strikes me as the guy who would take advantage of an unsuspecting family who inherited a collection and then boast about it to his pals. I do not know him so I should not judge but that is my impression.

If you are taking cards "worth" that much to shows and you are seasoned veteran seller, why no insurance?

He did not explain why he took the guy's bag to hold onto. Nor what he understood was in the bag at the time he took it.

I suspect there was a theft. Do not condone taking something which is not yours however if Gizmo did business with him 7 times prior, if the guy made off with 26K worth of cards I would say Gizmo still owes the dude at least 26K more for jacking him in the 7 previous meetings where the guy was paying PSA 8 prices for VG-EX material.

Still maintain he makes a bad witness but a great one for entertainment value. Still flying out if there is a trial. Would not miss it for anything.

G1911 08-31-2022 11:32 AM

I have no opinion on if there was or was not a theft as we have only an accusation and no evidence. But Gizmo’s story makes no sense whatsoever. He may have been robbed, but his story cannot be the whole truth.

Jewish-collector 08-31-2022 11:34 AM

Could it be a work (like pre-determined in wrestling) between these two guys ?

mikemb 08-31-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2258955)
Could it be a work (like pre-determined in wrestling) between these two guys ?

Whatt???? Wrestling is fake??

Oh well, I still have roller derby!

Mike

Exhibitman 08-31-2022 12:06 PM

Personally, I have a hard time believing that anyone would go to the trouble of filing a false police report against a specific person unless there was something to it. Never mind that a false report is a crime and subjects you to slam dunk liability for defamation, it is also work. If the dealer was trying to pull an insurance scam, better to claim an unexplained disappearance at the show than to hit a specific person who can fight it. Doesn't mean the cards are worth what the dealer claims, but it does sound like more to me than an outright scam. Let's see where the case goes. If the defendant chooses to appear and/or is extradited and then appears, we will hear the other side.

I wouldn't surprise me if this ends with some items being returned and it being dropped. I've had a few of those in my practice. The DA has better things to do than pursue a case where the items are returned.

Lorewalker 08-31-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2258953)
I have no opinion on if there was or was not a theft as we have only an accusation and no evidence. But Gizmo’s story makes no sense whatsoever. He may have been robbed, but his story cannot be the whole truth.

There is some vague reference to texts being exchanged but Gizmo did not elaborate, for whatever reason. He did allude to the fact that he texted the alleged thief telling him he wants his cards back or the money and claims he was told that the guy would be returning Sun AM. Those texts might be the best evidence he has at proving he is owed something.

Did not think the "51 Bowman Mantle Ice Cream Line" theft tale could ever be topped but Gizmo's story almost makes 25% of the 51 Mantle story sound legit. And the 25% I am speaking to is that ice cream does exist. There was ice cream at the National that year. Mantle does have a 51 Bowman card, that is both his rookie card and a card that was not double printed. :eek: And that people attended the National. The rest is highly suspect.

1952boyntoncollector 08-31-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2258938)
Obviously you and I go to different night clubs. :)

guess if using 1s at THOSE clubs now and used 1s 20 years ago...no inflation

RCFire82 08-31-2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2258951)
He came off as an atrocious salesperson in that video. Some melodrama too. Told a horrible version of the story to boot, leaving out details and telling things out of order. Not a good look.

Great observation ☝️.
At the 7min mark he stated, "I'm no brain surgeon." Glad he clarified for everyone, I was thinking maybe...

G1911 08-31-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2258995)
There is some vague reference to texts being exchanged but Gizmo did not elaborate, for whatever reason. He did allude to the fact that he texted the alleged thief telling him he wants his cards back or the money and claims he was told that the guy would be returning Sun AM. Those texts might be the best evidence he has at proving he is owed something.

Did not think the "51 Bowman Mantle Ice Cream Line" theft tale could ever be topped but Gizmo's story almost makes 25% of the 51 Mantle story sound legit. And the 25% I am speaking to is that ice cream does exist. There was ice cream at the National that year. Mantle does have a 51 Bowman card, that is both his rookie card and a card that was not double printed. :eek: And that people attended the National. The rest is highly suspect.

He should simply produce the evidence, since he clearly seems eager to get as much publicity out of this as possible and wants to try it in the court of hobby opinion. SCD articles that are really just parroting his claim and take under the guise of an objective report, podcast appearances, just put out the evidence, which he claims to have, if there's an actual crime.

Lorewalker 08-31-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2259124)
He should simply produce the evidence, since he clearly seems eager to get as much publicity out of this as possible and wants to try it in the court of hobby opinion. SCD articles that are really just parroting his claim and take under the guise of an objective report, podcast appearances, just put out the evidence, which he claims to have, if there's an actual crime.

Gizmo is on a publicity tour right now. He sold both of us showing up to the trial. Still lots of holes and that video did not help his cause, imo, and certainly did not make it any more clear what actually happened. We still only have one person's side of the story. Only thing that gives me reason to pause is that he specifically accused someone of stealing from him and gave us his name. That guy has not made any effort to clear his name, that we know of.

G1911 08-31-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2259132)
Gizmo is on a publicity tour right now. He sold both of us showing up to the trial. Still lots of holes and that video did not help his cause, imo, and certainly did not make it any more clear what actually happened. We still only have one person's side of the story. Only thing that gives me reason to pause is that he specifically accused someone of stealing from him and gave us his name. That guy has not made any effort to clear his name, that we know of.

Heck, I'll attend the defamation case if Porter sues him for slander too. The comedic potential here is so high.

There may well have been some sort of robbery; he's really doubling down hard and could face consequences if falsely and undeniably falsely claiming this man stole from him. I ain't no lawyer or a smart feller, but I'm pretty sure my lawyer would advise me to keep my mouth shut publicly at this point still. I hope he comes out at some point and gives his version. An accusation, presented with no evidence, and with no account from the other side, is not much to go on.

Lorewalker 08-31-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2259135)
Heck, I'll attend the defamation case if Porter sues him for slander too. The comedic potential here is so high.

Oh my! That would have to be live streamed. We might want secure rights now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2259135)
There may well have been some sort of robbery; he's really doubling down hard and could face consequences if falsely and undeniably falsely claiming this man stole from him. I ain't no lawyer or a smart feller, but I'm pretty sure my lawyer would advise me to keep my mouth shut publicly at this point still. I hope he comes out at some point and gives his version. An accusation, presented with no evidence, and with no account from the other side, is not much to go on.

Yeah at this point Gizmo is all in.

Eric72 08-31-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2259157)

The revenue generated from such a live stream might eclipse the supposed value of the allegedly stolen cards.

G1911 08-31-2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2259157)

Yeah at this point Gizmo is all in.

I may get arrested, charged and tried for smuggling in a camera and streaming the proceedings. It would probably be worth it. Charging $10 a stream I'll have a nice profit after my legal bills.

Because someone always takes it literally: This is a joke and I do not advocate breaking courtroom rules or contempt of court.

Eric72 08-31-2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2259161)
I may get arrested, charged and tried for smuggling in a camera and streaming the proceedings...[/I]

Try those spy glasses with a camera and mic built into the frame. :cool:

G1911 08-31-2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2259164)
Try those spy glasses with a camera and mic built into the frame. :cool:

Brilliant! You've just earned an executive producer credit on the movie version.

parkplace33 04-04-2023 08:11 AM

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but guess who is set up at the National again this year:

https://nsccshow.com/assets/admin/pd...ers3-27-23.pdf

Question... do dealers ever get banned from the show? Or is it once you are in, you are always in?