Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pricing for Groups of Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287226)

scottpt99 08-08-2020 04:21 PM

Pricing for Groups of Cards

How you you go about setting a price cards when buying them?
I know you have to take into account condition and all.

I have the opportunity to purchase some cards from 1970, 1971, and 1972.
After looking through them some general thoughts.
1970-Several have writing or name on the back a few on the front, many have worn corners, mostly common, but some from higher series
1971- Better condition but still not stars, includes higher series
1972- Most in very good condition and some stars included and higher series

Do I price each card and give a certain percentage of book value based on condition (10% poor, ?? others??)?

Not wanting to make a bad deal either way. I know you won't be able to give a price without seeing or knowing the cards, but I am interested in you thoughts on how to price it.

Thanks.

swarmee 08-08-2020 06:11 PM

I completely ignore the value of any card that can't be sold for at least $1 by itself. Then I sum up all the other cards and get a "value." If they are easy to sell (popular sets, star cards, etc) I probably make an offer of 50-70% of the value. If they are cards that are easily replaceable, lower demand, etc, I make an offer between 30-50% on the entire lot.
Based on the groups you're talking about, I would be ignoring most of them, while giving around 50% of the sale value of the rest of the lot. High numbers aren't what they used to be for those sets, unless they're very high condition. Set fillers (VG-EXish) will take a long time to sell, IMO.

savedfrommyspokes 08-08-2020 06:26 PM

My recommendation is to check some sold prices for similar conditioned lots from these years and try to determine a price per card. Based on the condition and contents of these lots, similar previously sold lots should not be a problem to find. Since covid, the price per card in lots such as these seems to have almost doubled....pre-covid lots such as these might sell from 10 cents/card to at the most 20 cents/card, now some lots like these sell in the 20-30 cents/card range. Based on the conditions from these years, 20 cents/card would be my limit.

JollyElm 08-08-2020 07:30 PM

What is he asking for the lot? With that info in hand, people here can better help you with your counteroffer and approach.
Good luck!

scottpt99 08-08-2020 08:02 PM

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

He has asked me to give him a price as he has not kept up on the value of cards that he purchased when he was younger.

I don't want to low-ball, but I don't want to pay more than I should.

Also I don't plan to sell them, mostly I am using them to work to complete or improve sets.