Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who SHOULD command the highest premium? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81717)

Archive 07-22-2006 05:47 PM

Who SHOULD command the highest premium?

Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p>There have been recent threads about who DOES command the highest premium among the deadball era players. I am interested in reading views on who SHOULD command the highest premium and why. Assume for the sake of this thought experiment that you are collecting a hypothetical caramel set having 100 different cards including a single card of each deadball era legend wherein all cards in the set are equally attractive and in equal supply. You begin to collect this fictional set with no preconceptions about actual pricing. You only know the players' histories. Then you are required to assign an appropriate (in your mind) premium above common for:<br /><br />Cobb (arguably the greatest position player of the era)<br />Jackson (Black Sox lore)<br />Johnson (arguably the greatest pitcher of the era)<br />Matty (arguably the greatest pitcher of the era)<br />Wagner (arguably the greatest infielder of the era)<br />Young (place in history secure due to 511 wins + name on the award)<br /><br />Follow-up question: Assume knowledge of player availability in other sets (e.g. assume you know about Cobb's relative abundance in other sets and Wagner's relative difficulty in other sets and the T206 lore), and answer again.

Archive 07-22-2006 05:52 PM

Posted By: <b>bigfish</b><p>Here is my list:<br /><br />Young<br />Cobb<br />Matty<br />Johnson<br />Jackson<br />Wagner<br /><br /> Young commands the highest and on down the line. Great idea for a thread. Interested to see other responses.<br />

Archive 07-22-2006 06:08 PM

Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p>My answers.<br /><br />Without knowledge of availability in other sets (purely based on history):<br /><br />Young (gets a big bump from having name on the award)<br />Cobb<br />Jackson (gets a big bump from Black Sox lore)<br />Matty/Johnson (tie)<br />Wagner<br /><br />With knowledge of availability in other sets:<br /><br />Jackson<br />Wagner<br />Young<br />Cobb<br />Matty<br />Johnson<br />

Archive 07-22-2006 06:22 PM

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Without knowledge of availability in other sets (purely based on history):<br /><br />Cobb<br />Young<br />Matty/Johnson (tie)<br />Wagner<br />Jackson<br /><br />With knowledge of availability in other sets:<br /><br />Jackson<br />Wagner<br />Cobb<br />Matty<br />Johnson<br />Young<br />

Archive 07-22-2006 07:02 PM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Without knowledge :<br /> 1.Cobb<br /> 2.Matty<br /> 3.Johnson<br /> 4.Young<br /> 5.Jackson<br /> 6.Wagner<br /> <br />With knowledge :<br /> 1.Jackson ( so few sets and a known undisputed rookie card )<br /> 2.Cobb<br /> 3.Wagner<br /> 4.Johnson<br /> 5.Matty<br /> 6.Young<br />

Archive 07-22-2006 07:55 PM

Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Cobb (arguably the greatest position player of the era)<br />I place him first because only Ruth comes close among everyday players, and Ruth ain't here to compete.<br /><br />Jackson (Black Sox lore) I place him next to last because he didn't prove it.<br /><br />Johnson (arguably the greatest pitcher of the era) I rank him third because when the smoke settled he was still 100 games short of Young.<br /><br />Matty (arguably the greatest pitcher of the era) Right after the Big Train. In 1913 + 14 more wins than walks! Come on.<br /><br />Wagner (arguably the greatest infielder of the era) Dead last because his stats don't bear up his reputation, and I still can't figure it.<br /><br />Young (place in history secure due to 511 wins + name on the award) Its the man, the award, 500+ victories = yeah that will happen again. 2nd Place!<br /><br />Considering card difficulty = no impact on desireability. Its only money, but this is CARDS!

Archive 07-22-2006 09:24 PM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>wagner<br />cobb<br />jackson<br />lajoie<br />johnson<br />young<br />plank<br />mathewson

Archive 07-22-2006 09:58 PM

Posted By: <b>Andrew</b><p>Purely based on history:<br /><br />1)Cobb<br />2)Wagner<br />3)Johnson <br />4)Mathewson<br />5)Young <br />6)Jackson<br /><br /><br />With knowledge of availability in other sets:<br /><br />1)Jackson<br />2)Wagner<br />3)Cobb<br />4)Mathewson<br />5)Johnson<br />6)Young<br /><br />

Archive 07-22-2006 10:03 PM

Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p><br />Lajoie would be my #7 based solely on history.<br />Lifetime stats very similar to Honus.<br />Unreal season for the A's in 1901.<br />

Archive 07-22-2006 10:32 PM

Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>Based on merit:<br /><br />1)Cobb<br />2)Johnson<br />3)Young <br />4)Mathewson<br />5)Wagner<br />6)Jackson<br /><br /><br />Based on availability:<br /><br />1)Jackson<br />2)Johnson<br />3)Young<br />4)Wagner<br />5)Mathewson<br />6)Cobb<br /><br /><br />Based on prices:<br /><br />1) Jackson<br />2) Cobb<br />3) Wagner<br />4) Young<br />5) Johnson<br />6) Mathewson